Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Why isnt Wealth a Knight option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Swashbuckler: Okay, this is pretty accurate.
Only if you take the third melee option and choose Shield.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #22
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
As far as I know in DFRPG if you spend points for cash you reduce the points value of the character.
Correct, except in my games where I demand that all points are accounted for (and as a Player I account for all my points).

I hate looking at a character sheet 6 months into a game and trying to figure out why it's is 5+ points lower than it should be.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #23
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Correct, except in my games where I demand that all points are accounted for (and as a Player I account for all my points).

I hate looking at a character sheet 6 months into a game and trying to figure out why it's is 5+ points lower than it should be.
Indeed. The points were spent, they should be tracked somewhere.

In my group, some of my players are so incredibly bad at tracking points earned and spent that it's actually disruptive at times. It frequently results in some kind of forensic accounting to try to figure out why things don't seem right. I've tried reducing disruption by tracking as much as I can myself, but it's not easy, especially when it's not my game and they aren't my characters.

Points that just 'disappear' are, IMO, always a bad idea. They got something for them, there should be something on the character saying so.

I guess that's a long winded way of saying that yes, I also require all points be accounted for, even if the book seems to think you don't have to.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Note that you could track points spent on things other than character improvement elsewhere, without changing the point value of the character. Although since character point value is mostly irrelevant, I don't think it matters.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #25
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Point totals mean very little. There's no special reason to suppose that every PC will have the same point total. With wishes, curses, boons, accidents, stuff getting lost (lose your sword, sayonara Weapon Bond), etc., it's a mug's game trying to track everything. Just let the points track intrinsic traits and forget about the rest.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #26
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Indeed. The points were spent, they should be tracked somewhere.
Really? Let's say a PC gains Cowardice [-10] from a terribly failed Fright Check. The GM lets him spend 10 earned points to buy it off. How do you "track" that? "No Cowardice [10]"? That seems more confusing than anything.

In a game where PCs regularly spend character points for Flesh Wounds, Buying Success, etc., I'm not sure how it helps to have a whole extra line of pseudo-advantages like "Used Flesh Wounds 7 times [7]".

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #27
Colarmel

So I always rolled my eyes at 248 point characters, but PK and Kromm's explanation makes perfect sense to me. Thanks y'all.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #28
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Really? Let's say a PC gains Cowardice [-10] from a terribly failed Fright Check. The GM lets him spend 10 earned points to buy it off. How do you "track" that? "No Cowardice [10]"? That seems more confusing than anything.

In a game where PCs regularly spend character points for Flesh Wounds, Buying Success, etc., I'm not sure how it helps to have a whole extra line of pseudo-advantages like "Used Flesh Wounds 7 times [7]".
Different groups undoubtedly have different needs. But yes, that's basically what I do. My requirements, and why I need to track every single point, are a result of my gaming with my friends for over 30 years now. It may seem unhelpful, confusing, or pointless to you, but it's not; it's a massive time-saver in the long run. And just removing Cowardice and replacing it with a "Bought Off Cowardice from that fright check failure" line item instead works just fine, and avoids confusing remnants lying about.

And yes, pseudo items like Bought Success or whatever are *exactly* how those get tracked.

But there's no need to derail this thread for this digression, I think.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:49 PM   #29
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
"No Cowardice [10]"?
Basically.

Actually I track it as a "Temporary/Permanent Buyoffs" line and have that detailed elsewhere.

Quote:
That seems more confusing than anything.
More confusing than "Hey, so I've been going over the characters and y'all have earned 200 exp, so why are three of you below 450 points and don't have anything in your Unspent field?"

Specifically when at least two of those are Players who often just forget to write down exp gains and expenditures...

And no the answer of "So? Their loss" doesn't cut it in my game. As I do record all Impulse Buys* and have had to have the talk of "How are you at campaign exp max when you've spent at least 25 exp on Flesh Wounds* and bought off a disad" before. So it all gets tracked for my convenience.

And as I've mentioned, I do it for my characters specifically so when the GM says "Okay, so is everyone at XXX points?", I know if I have anything more I can spend.

And no, I don't care if another player is 'cheating' by forgetting to subtract his Impulse buys from his totals of Unspent when I'm a Player. It's not worth the hassle.

But when I'm a GM? Hoo-boy...

* Impulse Buys are not a part of DFRPG as far as I can tell... so bad PK for mentioning Flesh Wounds! We have to deduct one Unspent Exp from your sheet... make sure you track this loss... ;)
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:51 PM   #30
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Specifically when at least two of those are Players who often just forget to write down exp gains and expenditures...
Sooooo much yes.

Tags
knight, wealth