Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #1
Eddie T

Default Immune to Fire

Is the DR advantage the only method to make a race immune to fire (without alternate forms like rock or such, or just handwaving)?
Eddie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Culture20

Default Re: Immune to Fire

Even alternate forms don't provide immunity to fire; they just provide DR. If it helps, DR limited to burning costs fewer points. Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction limited to burns would be a good addition to an "immunity"
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Being uninflammable is probably a reasonable perk though.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 07-15-2017 at 03:06 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Its the only way to be immune to "Burning Damage".

Fire is something else. Campaigns page 433 has a sidebar called "Making things burn". Immune to being set on fire is probably an Occasional hazard, thus worth 10 points. I'd also argue that advantage gives you immunity from the damage of being set on fire, but the character concept should have a low level of "only vs. Fire" DR anyways.

Burning damage doing more than 2d6 is probably not fire. At least not the red glowing chaotically flaming stuff that you think of when I say "Fire".

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Fire is something else. Campaigns page 433 has a sidebar called "Making things burn". Immune to being set on fire is probably an Occasional hazard, thus worth 10 points. I'd also argue that advantage gives you immunity from the damage of being set on fire, but the character concept should have a low level of "only vs. Fire" DR anyways.
Really that common? It feels like perk-immunity rarity to me. I see PC's clothes catch fire reasonable often, but I have only seen flesh catch fire once ever that I can remember, usually after that much burning damage you are dead already.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #6
rkbrown419

Intangibility with accessibility only vs fire. Injury Tolerance Damage Reduction vs Burning.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:33 PM   #7
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Being inflammable is probably a reasonable perk though.
I think you mean "uninflammable"? The word "inflammable" means "capable of being inflamed," which is the same as the GURPS trait Flammable, more or less.

Really, since there are now levels of catching fire, I think it might make sense to have a levelled trait. Human flesh starts burning at 30 HP; a character with Combustible, -5 points, starts burning at 10 HP, one class easier. One class harder would be something that doesn't burn at all, like brick, and that would plausibly cost 5 points. You could also go down to 3 points for -10, 1 point for -15, or 0 points (negligible damage, as from a candle flame) for -20.

A perk looks too cheap.

Note: Since catching fire is based on HP, I don't think it's eligible for an Immunity, but it looks comparable to a Rare condition.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
Kelly Pedersen

GURPS doesn't have a fixed cost for immunity to damage. The best way to do it, if you want to have it, is to determine the largest possible source of whatever damage type will appear in the campaign, build the creature able to ignore that, and then declare that level as "immune" - if, by some outside chance, someone manages to produce more damage of that type then that, it's okay to just handwave it and say "don't worry, you're immune".

All that said, DR is only sometimes the way to do this. It gets too expensive at the kind of levels you'll need to cope with most threats. The better trait to look at is a new one introduced in Powers, Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction. This divides all damage taken, after DR, by some number. With a +50% Cosmic enhancement, you can get it to round damage down after dividing, rather than up, so if you have a high enough divisor to divide the damage to less than 1, it rounds to 0.

You'll have to do some math to work out which method is cheaper to provide immunity. For all sorts of damage, without any sort of limited defense limitation, the breakpoint comes at 95 damage, which costs 475 points to be immune to with DR, and 450 for IT: DR.

In a typical fantasy world, immersion in molten lava is probably a reasonable thing to peg "highest possible fire damage at", and that's generally rated at 8d, or 48 damage on the maximum possible roll. Reducing that to 0 requires 48 levels of DR, and with Limited Defense: Heat and Fire only, -40%, that costs 150 points with DR.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:03 PM   #9
Eddie T

Thanks for all the quick replies, folks!

I've looked at DR and the IT:DR options, both. I'm only trying to make them immune to natural fire, not lava or magic or anything like that. I'm thinking Limited DR 10 is probably the cheapest alternative to cover most situations a PC would encounter.
Eddie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:10 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I think you mean "uninflammable"? The word "inflammable" means "capable of being inflamed," which is the same as the GURPS trait Flammable, more or less.

Really, since there are now levels of catching fire, I think it might make sense to have a levelled trait. Human flesh starts burning at 30 HP; a character with Combustible, -5 points, starts burning at 10 HP, one class easier. One class harder would be something that doesn't burn at all, like brick, and that would plausibly cost 5 points. You could also go down to 3 points for -10, 1 point for -15, or 0 points (negligible damage, as from a candle flame) for -20.

A perk looks too cheap.

Note: Since catching fire is based on HP, I don't think it's eligible for an Immunity, but it looks comparable to a Rare condition.
Autocorrect, why do you insist on making me look like an idiot?

Anyway, my reasoning for a perk is that if you take 30 points of burning damage you are probably dead anyway. So generally it isn't actually worth much in actual play. I wouldn't pay 10 points for it certainly and probably not 5. It just isn't very likely to ever matter.

I have seen flesh catch fire once in a game since 4e came out, do you see it more often than that?

Last edited by sir_pudding; 07-15-2017 at 03:13 PM.