Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
Jerander

Default [Powers/DF5/DFM1] Fire Elemental Cat?

Hi,

I'm playing around with applying the Monster Prefixes from Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 1 to the Familiar templates from Dungeon Fantasy 5 to provide some additional familiar types. One problem I ran in to:

The Elemental prefix requires the changing of the attack type. How would you, for example, price the change of the Cat's cutting close to burning? This is just one example, but I'm looking for a general idea of how to price these things so I can work through the other Elemental types as well...

Thank you,
Jerander.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Powers/DF5/DFM1] Fire Elemental Cat?

The easiest way, and it is consistent with the Body of Fire metatrait and other fire elementals is just give it a Burning Attack with Melee and Aura.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The easiest way, and it is consistent with the Body of Fire metatrait and other fire elementals is just give it a Burning Attack with Melee and Aura.
Thank you.

Would you remove the existing bite and claw attacks? If so, how?
Old 08-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
Hi,

I'm playing around with applying the Monster Prefixes from Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 1 to the Familiar templates from Dungeon Fantasy 5 to provide some additional familiar types. One problem I ran in to:

The Elemental prefix requires the changing of the attack type. How would you, for example, price the change of the Cat's cutting close to burning? This is just one example, but I'm looking for a general idea of how to price these things so I can work through the other Elemental types as well...

Thank you,
Jerander.
The easy answer is Imbuements, since that's what Imbuements was created for. It's quite complex to do it properly without Imbuements

The not so easy but still manageable answer is to purchase a Melee burning attack that deals the desired amount of damage, and possibly buy down ST to 0, buy back HP, and possibly buy back lifting ST, if the creature can actually interact with physical objects (unlike body of fire)

There are other kludges to make it work, but they require even more cumbersome mechanics
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
The easy answer is Imbuements, since that's what Imbuements was created for. It's quite complex to do it properly without Imbuements

The not so easy but still manageable answer is to purchase a Melee burning attack that deals the desired amount of damage, and possibly buy down ST to 0, buy back HP, and possibly buy back lifting ST, if the creature can actually interact with physical objects (unlike body of fire)

There are other kludges to make it work, but they require even more cumbersome mechanics
I'll have to look at Imbuements. Thank you.

What about pricing the natural attack as an Innate Attack, repricing it with the new attack type, then charging the difference?
Old 08-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
Bruno

Removing a claw and bite is easy - remove the Claws advantage, remove sharp teeth (if any), add No Bite disadvantage.

Technically after that it can still kick for crushing but horizontal gives a penalty to that if you don't have hooves, and by the time you get down to the Cat's ST I'm happy to handwave it as "an attack that doesn't show up on the statistic block because it's just terrible".
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
What about pricing the natural attack as an Innate Attack, repricing it with the new attack type, then charging the difference?
You could do it that way, or you could keep the attack as cutting (plenty of magical fire weapons in fiction still cut) and give it the Incendiary Enhancement, or you could go all out and replace things like Claws and Teeth with Natural Weapons (Pyramid #3/65), at which point you'd simply need to change over from Cutting to Burning (or, as noted, from Cutting to Cutting with Incendiary).
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Just take a look at the Small Fire Elemental and give it some of the cat traits if you want a cat-shaped fire elemental.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #9
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Just take a look at the Small Fire Elemental and give it some of the cat traits if you want a cat-shaped fire elemental.
If I wanted to build a "fire cat" from scratch, that would make sense. What I'm trying to do, though, is figure out how to apply the Elemental monster prefixes, as is, to pointed-out templates. The tricky part seems to be the damage types on the attacks...
Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #10
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
You could do it that way, or you could keep the attack as cutting (plenty of magical fire weapons in fiction still cut) and give it the Incendiary Enhancement, or you could go all out and replace things like Claws and Teeth with Natural Weapons (Pyramid #3/65), at which point you'd simply need to change over from Cutting to Burning (or, as noted, from Cutting to Cutting with Incendiary).
Thank you. I'll take a look at Pyramid #3/65. Guess I'll have to buy it first...