Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 04-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
beefsteak

Default Thief's Steal

Hi! Can the thief discard a stolen item to use his steal ability again? I got confused because when I searched for answers, some say he can, some say he has to discard from his hand.
beefsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
StormCrow42

Default Re: Thief's Steal

The thief can discard cards in hand, or in their possession in play to power their theft ability.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsteak View Post
Hi! Can the thief discard a stolen item to use his steal ability again? I got confused because when I searched for answers, some say he can, some say he has to discard from his hand.
I'm not sure who may have said that, but I can assure you that it wasn't Andrew or me, and we're the ones who deliver the official rulings.

At any rate, the rules actually say that you may discard a card from those you have in play or from your hand to power a class ability that requires a discard (like the Thief's theft ability). Since the rules say that cards override the rules, certain Classes specify from where cards can be discarded (for example, the Cleric may only discard cards from his hand for his resurrection ability, and the Wizard must discard his entire hand to charm a Monster) that override that general rule. The Thief, however, does not, so the general rule that you can discard from your hand and from those cards in front of you applies. However, remember that you can't discard the Thief to steal something, since you immediately lose the abilities, benefits, and disadvantages of a Class when you discard it.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:23 AM   #4
beefsteak

Thanks for the answers guys!
As for where I got the idea that the thief can't discard from his hand, here: http://munchkin.wikia.com/wiki/Thief

Thanks again :D
Old 04-30-2013, 04:36 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

That wiki is not official and therefore a poor source for official information. It is not maintained by SJG and any of its assignees, and, well, it seems rife with copyright infringement by posting card art and card text. Thanks for pointing that out to us. I've reported it to the netcell, Andrew, but if you are skimming and want to get the jump on it. . .

Edit: I finally found a talk page to the administrator's profile. SJG has been trying to get that wiki deleted since 2010, and it seems that the host site has not complied with that request, so people have been making modifications to it since.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 04-30-2013 at 04:50 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
beefsteak

Alright! Thanks again :)

Tags
steal, thief