Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 08-06-2017, 03:44 AM   #1
KataH

Default GCA Sorcery Data File - Sorcery Talent

I need some help using the GCA Data file for Sorcery
I have it loaded into GCA
However when I search the Advantages, I cannot find the Sorcery Talent
When I search the spells, I cannot find the Minor Healing spell.
When I open the Data file they are both listed there.
However the entry for Sorcery Talent seems incomplete;
Sorcery Talent, 10/20,displaycost(10/20+),upto(4),mods(_Talents, _Power Talents, Paranormal),gives(+1 to SK:Innate Attack (Beam), +1 to SK:Innate Attack (Gaze), +1 to SK:Innate Attack (Breath), +1 to SK:Innate Attack (Projectile), +1 to
To answer some quick questions:
-I have the Data files loaded in the proper order;
Sorcery
Sorcery Plus
Dungeon Sorcery
Sorcery Protection and Warning
-I can see most other data from the Sorcery Data File like Sorcery Empowerment
-I have the latest updates to GCA and the Data Files

Any help here would be greatly appreciated

"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!"
KataH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:26 AM   #2
KataH

Default Re: GCA Sorcery Data File - Sorcery Talent

I found the error for the Advantage Sorcery Talent
The entry in the Data file has a couple of lien returns in the description
As it appears in the Data file:
Sorcery Talent, 10/20,displaycost(10/20+),upto(4),mods(_Talents, _Power Talents, Paranormal),gives(+1 to SK:Innate Attack (Beam), +1 to SK:Innate Attack (Gaze), +1 to SK:Innate Attack (Breath), +1 to SK:Innate Attack (Projectile), +1 to

SK:Thaumatology),tl(),usernotes(),familiarities(), cat(Paranormal, Mental, Talents - Powers, Paranormal Mental)
As it needs to appear:
Sorcery Talent, 10/20,displaycost(10/20+),upto(4),mods(_Talents, _Power Talents, Paranormal),gives(+1 to SK:Innate Attack (Beam), +1 to SK:Innate Attack (Gaze), +1 to SK:Innate Attack (Breath), +1 to SK:Innate Attack (Projectile), +1 toSK:Thaumatology),tl(),usernotes(),familiarities( ), cat(Paranormal, Mental, Talents - Powers, Paranormal Mental)
As for the spell Minor Healing, it is in the Data file but I do not know what is wrong with it.

"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!"
KataH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

I don't know anything about Sorcery, or even where the Sorcery files you're using are from, but if you post the spell here inside a CODE block, I can see if there's anything that looks wrong to me.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

The files were recently uploaded to the GCA Repository and the data files do seem to include a couple significant errors. The Sorcery Talent includes a line break in the middle of the gives() tag where it shouldn't be, frex.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 08-07-2017 at 01:29 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #5
rkbrown419

Thanks for pointing out the error in the tallent. It's now fixed.
Did you load Gurps Powers before the Sorcery files. That is required too. It includes several of the modifiers the spells use.
Got the email pointing out the Talent problem and that you couldn't find some spells. They come up under advantages on my GCA. Could advantages not appearing result from the file being for the current GCA release and the user having an older version or might that result from the powers file not being loaded?
BTW what other errors have been seen?

Last edited by rkbrown419; 08-08-2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: needed to respond to another point raised
rkbrown419 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbrown419 View Post
Did you load Gurps Powers before the Sorcery files. That is required too. It includes several of the modifiers the spells use.
Note that modifiers are created in the file that calls/adds them, so you do not need to load a data file just to gain access to modifiers from another file. If you are referencing other traits from another data file it is recommended you use the Requires= line at the top of the data file so it will pitch an error if the user doesn't load it; it looks like you did use it in Sorcery.gdf

Quote:
They come up under advantages on my GCA. Could advantages not appearing result from the file being for the current GCA release and the user having an older version or might that result from the powers file not being loaded?
That should only happen if you use #Clones to duplicate a trait or adds() to add an existing trait. Even with adds() the original trait (i.e. the spell itself) will show up, it's just the sub-trait that wouldn't appear. For me the Minor Healing sorcery spell is showing up in the advantages correctly.

Looking things over quickly one thing you probably should do is add the "Alternative Ability" modifier to the modifier group for <Sorcery Spells>. I'm sorely tempted to say that Alternative Ability should be added as a default modifier to all spells, given my understanding of how Sorcery Spells work almost all spells will be given that price discount unless the player chooses to pay extra on his most expensive spell(s) to allow two (or more) to be on at the same time - in which case it's easier to remove one modifier than add a modifier multiple times.

I also just noticed that adding the Alternative Ability modifier to one of the spells results in an incorrect point cost being added to the spell attribute, since that is based on the final cost of the "attribute." This can be corrected by changing the gives() tag of spells to the following:
Code:
=+(me::points * @if(@hasmod(Alternative Ability) then 5 else 1)) to ST:XXXX
Kaboom-baya.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
rkbrown419

I finally figured out why some spells weren't appearing. It took a while because it didn't occur to me that someone would complain about not finding spells after loading the Dungeon Sorcery file when the description states that it "removes spells rated as inappropriate" specifically those listed as inappropriate for Dungeon Fantasy in Pyramid 3 82.

As to the alternative ability modifier. I considered including it but didn't for a few reasons. One was that I personally prefer adding it after picking spells so that if I want to have more than one active I can tell exactly which one is most expensive without checking the book if the point cost are close. Second the Taboo Trait is set up based on whether Sorcerous Empowerment has more points than the full cost of the spell. If I changed it to accommodate including the alternative ability I'd either have to set it to needing points in Sorcerous Empowerment be greater than 5 times the spell cost (which might cause rounding error issues) or to a static cost which would cause problems if you add new Enhancements or Limitations. Which leads into the third reason. I expect people to want to add tweaks to the spells to fit their vision of how magic works in their games. I also expect some people to want to switch the power modifier to change spells to super powers, PSI abilities etc.

By the way Eric B Smith, you mention one spell has a problem when you add alternative ability but not which one. Which spell was it?

Last edited by rkbrown419; 08-09-2017 at 01:56 PM. Reason: forgot a point I wanted to adress
Old 08-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #8
ericbsmith

Quote:
As to the alternative ability modifier. I considered including it but didn't for a few reasons.
It still ought to be added to the default modifiers for all spells by adding it to the <Sorcery Spells> modifier group.

Quote:
By the way Eric B Smith, you mention one spell has a problem when you add alternative ability but not which one. Which spell was it?
Any of the spells. The bonus to the spell attribute isn't going to be calculated correctly after Alternative Ability is added to any spell because the bonus is based on the point cost of the spell and AA changes the point cost.

Unfortunately, at this time I'm not sure of a good way to work around the rounding error. I'll have to think on that a bit, but the rounding error will only crop up in the few cases where Sorcerous Empowerment is limited, the final cost of the spell before AA is not a multiple of five, and the final cost before AA happens to be 1-3 points more than Sorcerous Empowerment.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 08-09-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #9
rkbrown419

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
It still ought to be added to the default modifiers for all spells by adding it to the <Sorcery Spells> modifier group.
I see what you mean now. Thanks. That's a good idea.
Edit
And now it's added.

Last edited by rkbrown419; 08-10-2017 at 02:40 PM. Reason: fixed the issue