Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-27-2015, 02:33 PM   #1
Samaster

Default Running both Vanilla Magic and RPM?

in a high fantasy world i'm building, i'm intending to have both vanilla magic and RPM both available at the same time, any advice on how they work together or might unbalance each other?
Samaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Running both Vanilla Magic and RPM?

You need to distinguish the two kinds of Magery carefully. They are not the same thing, and any characters who use both magic systems need to buy two sets of Magery.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
Nereidalbel

Note that they use a different version of Magery, and that Magery does NOT count as a Talent for Thaumatology, regardless of which version a mage is using.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Note that they use a different version of Magery, and that Magery does NOT count as a Talent for Thaumatology, regardless of which version a mage is using.
No, Magery (RPM) used by RPM Mages does not count, but Magery (Standard) does, even for Thaumatology for RPM Mages, it MAY even count for Path skills
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #5
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
No, Magery (RPM) used by RPM Mages does not count, but Magery (Standard) does, even for Thaumatology for RPM Mages, it MAY even count for Path skills
Wrong. Note the key word "any."

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM pg.6
In any setting featuring Ritual Path magic, Magery does not add to Thaumatology skill.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #6
PK

There was some context missing from that snippet, so let me just add this: For the purpose of RPM, Magery does not add to Thaumatology. So if you have a character with IQ 12, Magery 3 (Standard), Magery 3 (RPM), and 8 points in Thaumatology (usually enough for IQ level), he'd have Thaumatology-12 for all RPM purposes (no exception!) but it would be reasonable for the GM to consider him at Thaumatology-15 for any questions involving standard magic.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #7
Samaster

I was primarily concerned with the interactions of the spells and the effects access to both of those spell-sets would do to a society about the size of the British isles
Samaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:35 PM   #8
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
There was some context missing from that snippet, so let me just add this: For the purpose of RPM, Magery does not add to Thaumatology. So if you have a character with IQ 12, Magery 3 (Standard), Magery 3 (RPM), and 8 points in Thaumatology (usually enough for IQ level), he'd have Thaumatology-12 for all RPM purposes (no exception!) but it would be reasonable for the GM to consider him at Thaumatology-15 for any questions involving standard magic.
I am going have to ask: What about Talents or other-Talent like things that raise Thaumatology?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaster View Post
I was primarily concerned with the interactions of the spells and the effects access to both of those spell-sets would do to a society about the size of the British isles
I'm not sure you'll find anyone who likes both and might be qualified to answer your question.

Many RPM fans seem to belong to some sort of "Death to standard Magic!" faction.

The other side might be made up of persons put off by RPM's capacity to bog down games while a player creates the perfect spell to suit the current circumstances from scratch.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:13 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaster View Post
I talk about about how RPM and standard Magic's "Dispel Magic" interact here.

As to the interaction between spells, standard Magic would mostly cover absolute situations or permanent effects. Spells like Deflect Energy, Utterdome, Earth to Water, the various Essential spells, and so on. Ritual Path Magic would excel at situations that require flexibility, improvisation, and general utility. Standard Magic would also excel at direct damage in combat, while RPM would be the king of buffing/debuffing with charms.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, rpm