Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
goose

Default Questions about the Jade cube

I just bought all of the jumbo d6 the other day and we played with them for the first time last night.

One of my friends got the jade cube, then proceeded to use it over and over again while level one (it was late, didn't want to bother arguing at the time), which netted her a ton of cards right away. Am I correct in assuming that this card can only be used when you have a level to lose?

Which brings me to my next problem, as the loss of level really didn't seem like a hindrance. We'd play stuff on her during combat, then she would just roll the dice over and over again, get cards, then use any GUAL cards she got, or wait till after the battle and sell items worth 1000g that she got with the cube to undo the level loss.

Then, she would destroy anyone who dared play a card against her. By the end of the game, I had no items, class or race cards and couldn't do anything during my turn. No one could really do anything to stop her, and there was a mighty retribution in store if we did. Any cards used against her were just picked up by her using the dice then used against us.

The Jade cube seems incredibly powerful, especially compared to the others, which seem to be limited to one use per turn/combat. The red dice were basically useless, so I can see why they are out of print now.

We must have been letting her get away with way more than the card was intended for, and I would love some official clarifications please.
goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Questions about the Jade cube

You can't intentionally lose a level if you have no level to lose. In other words, you can't use the Jade Cube of Karma at Level 1.

This is no different than an Orc at Level 1 being unable to avoid Curses. Since it will come up: A Thief can steal at Level 1 because the cost of stealing is not a level, it is a card discarded from the hand or from in play. In the case of the Thief, the loss of a level is a potential outcome.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
goose

Default Re: Questions about the Jade cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
You can't intentionally lose a level if you have no level to lose. In other words, you can't use the Jade Cube of Karma at Level 1.

This is no different than an Orc at Level 1 being unable to avoid Curses. Since it will come up: A Thief can steal at Level 1 because the cost of stealing is not a level, it is a card discarded from the hand or from in play. In the case of the Thief, the loss of a level is a potential outcome.
Thanks for the response.

The rest (infinite uses as long as there are levels to lose) is fine though?
goose is offline   Reply With Quote