Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
mook

Default [Tactical Shooting] Pelvis - Miss by 1?

Howdy Folks -

I'm making a few tweaks to my GM screen, one of which is adding the Pelvis hit location from Tactical Shooting. I'm curious as to why this location does not have the same "A miss by 1 hits the torso" ruling as the groin does?

Just wondering if there's a reason for that, or if it's just an oversight.

Thanks!
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
mook

Default Re: [Tactical Shooting] Pelvis - Miss by 1?

Alright forumites - you had your chance to dissuade me. Now it's too late. I'm doing it.

If counting the Pelvis the same as the Groin regarding the "Miss by 1" rules rends the very fabric of time and space ... it's on you!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
Alright forumites - you had your chance to dissuade me. Now it's too late. I'm doing it.

If counting the Pelvis the same as the Groin regarding the "Miss by 1" rules rends the very fabric of time and space ... it's on you!
Makes sense to me. OTOH if you are creating a grand unified Hit Location table, Pelvis ought to be a "Roll 1d" result for Abdomen (along with Vitals).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Makes sense to me. OTOH if you are creating a grand unified Hit Location table, Pelvis ought to be a "Roll 1d" result for Abdomen (along with Vitals).
Not that I'm necessarily opposed to the idea, but I am curious why (since I don't think that holds true for the Groin).
Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
Not that I'm necessarily opposed to the idea, but I am curious why (since I don't think that holds true for the Groin).
The Lower Abdomen is much larger than the groin (and that's why it was changed in Low-Tech) and includes an area that overlaps with the pelvis (AFAICT).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Daeglan

I think a pelvis near miss should have a chance to hit the groin or the abdomen.
Daeglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
DanHoward

Instant Armor has an Abdomen Hit Location table if you want more detail. If the abdomen is hit roll 1 die
1 - Vitals
2-4 digestive tract (chance of infection)
5 - Pelvis (as in Tactical Shooting)
6 - Groin

These areas can be deliberately targeted also. It doesn't specify what happens if you miss by 1. I'd split it - 50% hit the chest, 50% hit a leg.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:23 AM   #8
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
These areas can be deliberately targeted also. It doesn't specify what happens if you miss by 1. I'd split it - 50% hit the chest, 50% hit a leg.
The Abdomen is already a pretty tempting target at -1, especially as a wide variety of armour from TL1 to TL8 has little to no protection for the Abdomen, but DR proof against typical weapons for the Chest.

If a miss by 1 hits anyway, there is rarely any reason to aim for the Chest rather than Abdomen.

I'm torn. Game balance wise, it would probably make sense for a miss by 1 when aiming at the Abdomen to simply miss entirely. It represents a slightly increased chance of a miss because it's not a generic center mass shot, but instead represents aiming below the spot on a torso where most ballistics vests end.

From a simulation point of view, though, a case can be made for a chance of a miss hitting the upper thighs or lower part of the Chest hit location.

What I might do is roll 1d in the case of a miss by 1 when targeting the Abdomen.

1 -- Left thigh
2 --- Right thigh
3-5 - Miss
6 --- Chest (hit location 10).

Tags
hit location