Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 07-07-2022, 10:09 AM   #1
Bill_in_IN

Default Can an Image Spell be disbelieved?

It was brought to my attention that such topic discussions occurring on the SJG forums have a better recall record for future use. This is why I'm asking for some duplication of the Discord discussion on this forum.

There was a great discussion on Discord as to whether Images can be disbelieved. I believe that there was some consensus after the discussion that Images cannot be disbelieved. If this is wrong, please provide your input.

This interesting discussion kind of turned my previous executions upside down. I has always treated Images the same as illusions in that they could be use a turn attacking them and watch them disappear after a successful hit or, You could use a turn to disbelieve them. However, the discord discussion revealed that the Image doesn't clearly lend itself to being disbelieved.

This is a game changer for the Image spell and it ensures that it's not useless against an Illusion spell. This will be explained in a post later in this thread.

I ask the Discord discussion participants to post their ITL or other references that supported their positions either for or against being able to disbelieving an Image.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:17 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Can an Image Spell be disbelieved?

Wizard rulebook page 17 "or the figure was NOT an illusion"
ITL 138 "if the figure was not an illusion"
Old 07-07-2022, 02:03 PM   #3
TippetsTX

Throw in a house-rule upgrade like PERSISTENT IMAGE (i.e. an 'image' that doesn’t disappear when touched) and you can have some real fun.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:26 PM   #4
TippetsTX

Like Henry, my interpretation is based on the fact that in every instance where 'disbelief' is discussed, images are never mentioned.

From a design intent standpoint, I tend to see 'disbelief' as a check against the power that illusions have to do actual harm... a check that isn't required for images.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 07-10-2022 at 11:32 AM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:12 PM   #5
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Throw in a house-rule upgrade like PERSISTENT IMAGE (i.e. an 'image' that doesn’t disappear when touched) and you can have some real fun.
Double cost version of Maintain Image enchantment that recreates the image after a minute of downtime would match to a lot of the genre material for images over pits and such.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:43 PM   #6
Axly Suregrip

Hi Bill,
Disbelief only breaks illusions. Images get broken by touch.

This is one of the few useful things an image can give you: many attempts to disbelieve it. For the mere cost of 1 ST, you can waste several of your foes' turns in moving only 1 and attempting disbelief.

Scouting, intimidation, cloning self/others/illusions are the other main uses for images.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:03 PM   #7
JohnPaulB

This means that all those pesky animals won't be able to disbelieve the image either.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 01:45 AM   #8
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
This means that all those pesky animals won't be able to disbelieve the image either.
Ah, but do they see the Image? If you see a slime react to an Image, then you know it's not an Illusion, right? And so you change your tactics accordingly. Maybe there's a reason to carry around a pet slime? :)
Old 07-10-2022, 09:09 AM   #9
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
If you see a slime react to an Image, then you know it's not an Illusion, right?[...] Maybe there's a reason to carry around a pet slime? :)
Admiral Thrawn, in Timothy Zahn's Star Wars novels, used to carry around a couple of creatures who suppressed the use of the force locally. This isn't entirely different.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:22 AM   #10
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Wizard rulebook page 17 "or the figure was NOT an illusion"
ITL 138 "if the figure was not an illusion"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Like Henry, my interpretation is based on the fact that in every instance where 'disbelief' is discussed, images are never mentioned.

From an intent standpoint, I tend to see 'disbelief' as a check against the power that illusions have to do actual harm... a check that isn't required for images.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
Hi Bill,
Disbelief only breaks illusions. Images get broken by touch.

This is one of the few useful things an image can give you: many attempts to disbelieve it. For the mere cost of 1 ST, you can waste several of your foes' turns in moving only 1 and attempting disbelief.

Scouting, intimidation, cloning self/others/illusions are the other main uses for images.
Thanks guys.

This summarizes the main points of the reasoning for the general consensus on Discord that Images can't be disbelieved.

While this doesn't heavily impact my past games where Images were able to be disbelieved. it is a game changer in providing more value to images and image spells.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote