Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-29-2019, 09:22 AM   #41
Fred Brackin

Default Re: GURPS Disasters: Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Depend where you are, I guess. Never been in an hurricane or tropical area, so I cannot say.
But in non-tropical/hurricane area, very strong wind can and will uproot and topple trees without need for saturating the ground with water first.
It usually mean a weak root system, for various reason : sickness or parasite, soil degradation, growth in a previously sheltered place, ...
It can also happen when you've got an imported variety of tree that only grows a root system adequate to non-hurricane winds. If that imported tree also chracteristics that don't minimize its' wind profile that necessary root system has to be even bigger than the local varieties.

Also, while compromised wood will go first, even large branches can break off with no visible weakening. Even with no visible signs when examined after falling.

<shrug>"Don't plant trees that are only adapted to strong thunderstorms in a hurricane area" seems a simple rule but it isn't folowed always..
Old 01-05-2020, 09:10 PM   #42
Refplace

I just read it, ill write my review later but wanted to say good book.
I like the Search and Rescue skill once you read it. There is a lot here more than just the hurricane that can be adapted to other situations.
The limit of 1 inch absorption rate gives me something to add to my weather magic games.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:28 PM   #43
Refplace

Forgot to do my review!!
Addressed that this evening, also added to the Wiki.
https://refplace.blogspot.com/2020/0...urricanes.html
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 01-20-2020, 10:12 AM   #44
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by namada View Post
What I meant was that I've lived through dozens of hurricanes and I don't see the effects as remotely realistic - they're way too harsh (again, if I'm reading those charts right). For example -1DX in 18mph winds is just a big fat NO from me. I've stood out in 75mph winds. Been there, done that, and this is way too harsh.
I live on a part of the planet carefully selected for its lack of vulnerability to serious tropical storm effects, but we regularly get fierce straight-line winds with gusts up to 60 mph. Winds of up to 20 mph aren't uncommon when there's a weather front moving in.

If you're planning for it, you can cope with steady 20 mph winds with no problem, but even then it tends to blow tools, clothing, and equipment around. Accuracy of low tech or hurled missile weapons is definitely impaired. Accuracy of larger and lighter melee weapons can also be slightly impacted (e.g., things like capes, nets, or broad-bladed polearms).

Anything involving climbing or outdoor survival gets way more dangerous in high wind conditions.

On the road at highway speeds, crosswinds or headwinds can certainly mess with a driver's ability to control a light and/or high profile vehicle, especially if you drive from a "wind shadowed" area into an unsheltered area. At higher speeds things become even more dangerous.

Pilots of light planes have to exert extra care to compensate for even relatively low-speed winds at ground level when landing or taking off. Crosswinds and tailwinds are potentially very dangerous under such conditions. Even commercial jets can be grounded by tailwinds of just 10-15 knots (11-18 mph) if they can't turn around to take off into the wind.

Then there's the problem that wind speeds aren't steady. If you're getting an average of 18 mph winds, you're more likely to be getting gusts which can vary significantly from the baseline. Wind direction might also randomly change. That seriously messes up any activity which requires you to compensate for wind effects.

So, yeah, under combat or crisis conditions, a -1 penalty to DX or DX-based skills seems right on the mark.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #45
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
<shrug>"Don't plant trees that are only adapted to strong thunderstorms in a hurricane area" seems a simple rule but it isn't folowed always..
Invasive species don't obey the rules - at least until evolution weeds them out.

And, most people, even many alleged landscape professionals, know bupkis about trees. Non-native trees get imported to unsuitable regions because they're cheap and because that's what ignorant people demand.

Even worse, people plant trees too close to buildings because of property lines and ignorance as to how huge some mature trees can get. That sets up the potential for tragedy when a tree that's survived for 100 years finally meets a full-blown storm and crushes someone's bedroom.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:27 AM   #46
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeGamer View Post
I think that the dex penalties are a bit severe, especially in the lower ranges. Backyard boxing has shown me that I dodge just as well, hit just as well, in 25 mph winds as in calm conditions. (Backyard, no real debris) Some skills should start taking penalties early, others not so much.
High or acrobatic kicks might be penalized, but you're right that most unarmed attacks shouldn't suffer penalties until winds get seriously high. Ditto for most attacks with smaller melee weapons (anything up to longsword length). Small shields shouldn't be penalized, but larger "heater" or "round" shields might start to get blown around. Perhaps a penalty equal to 1/3 DB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeGamer View Post
An advantage of some sort giving reduced effects of storm environments might not be a bad idea.
Terrain Adaptation?

It certainly would be appropriate for animals with wide, low stances and birds adapted to "ride" storm fronts.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #47
SolemnGolem

I've been vaguely looking for rules about wind effects to airborne creatures.

GURPS Magic, for example, has several wind spells, but most of them explain the consequences for land-walking creatures.

Does this supplement go into any details about wind force and airborne navigation during extreme atmospheric events?
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #48
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
I've been vaguely looking for rules about wind effects to airborne creatures.

GURPS Magic, for example, has several wind spells, but most of them explain the consequences for land-walking creatures.

Does this supplement go into any details about wind force and airborne navigation during extreme atmospheric events?
Well, there's the inevitable complication that wind speed doesn't actually have any effect of a flier's experience once they're clear of the ground - it's the areas of turbulence or transition that you've got to watch out for, not high speed stuff.

Airborne navigation is virtually impossible even in good conditinons without reference to external navigational indicators. Visible landmarks or astronomical features, or radio beacons, or terrain-mapping radar...you're not going to get anywhere (that you intend to) trying to just use your measurable airspeed to figure out where you're going.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #49
Anthony

Pure wind effects at 18 mph are only a few pounds on a human-sized object, which won't really affect movement unless it's a surprise. It will cause rain to fall at fairly high angles and might cause cheap umbrellas to fail. If it's raining, you might get penalties.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:13 PM   #50
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Pure wind effects at 18 mph are only a few pounds on a human-sized object, which won't really affect movement unless it's a surprise. It will cause rain to fall at fairly high angles and might cause cheap umbrellas to fail. If it's raining, you might get penalties.
Since the table is in reference to storms its reasonable to assume that is whats factored in here. People just reading the preview are more likely to look at it out that context. A column says wind speed and another says the effects so I can see a case for that assumption, but the context is its talking specifically about storms. Also wind issues arent just based on the pressure to the body or weapon but flying debris and even if no dust you tend to blink more when its windy.

As for wind effects on flying creatures it does talk about wind effects in relation to aircraft but points out the issues are really in taking off and landing or close to the ground.
My GURPS Wiki entries

Tags
hurricane