Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #31
Prince Charon

Default Re: Let's Make Shadowrun

This is going to end up with 300 to 400 point starting characters, isn't it?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #32
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
A Physical Adept in Gurps terms is probably nothing but a high stat martial artist with Trained by a Master. Cinematic Sklls are just gravy. You'll need the meat and potatos first.

With ST19, as much DX as you can possibly afford and a pretty good HT too how many pts does that look like to you?
Old 08-29-2019, 11:16 AM   #33
David Johnston2

Quote:
The average Shadowrun character is very superhuman.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:02 PM   #34
Fnordianslip

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
You forget that they can move at 1 mile per second with instant acceleration and perfect maneuverability...
This part of astral travel only needs to be statted out as an ability if it's something only certain travelers/spirits can do. If enhanced travel speed is just a quality of the astral plane that applies to all spirits on it, then there's no need to spec out an ability for astral travel speeds. There's a lot of this sort of thing in Shadowrun, whether it applies to the Matrix or the Astral Plane, where it's a good idea to determine what's a quality of the space and what are special abilities for travelers.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #35
Phantasm

Quote:
That's not necessarily a bad thing. Monster Hunters is probably the same general power level and has 400 pt templates.

On a separate note: drone riggers. Allies w/ Minion and a cybernetic mindlink, or some other method?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:37 PM   #36
Kesendeja

I've started working on building the spells as powers. Should I post them here or start a separate thread?
Old 08-29-2019, 02:24 PM   #37
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip View Post
This part of astral travel only needs to be statted out as an ability if it's something only certain travelers/spirits can do. If enhanced travel speed is just a quality of the astral plane that applies to all spirits on it, then there's no need to spec out an ability for astral travel speeds. There's a lot of this sort of thing in Shadowrun, whether it applies to the Matrix or the Astral Plane, where it's a good idea to determine what's a quality of the space and what are special abilities for travelers.
You always need to pay for an advantage, even if other people possess it. In the case of Astral movement, it provides a concrete advantage over nonmagicians in the form of allowing for long distance spell support and summoning, so it is worth points. Oh, all attack spells are LOS, so they have infinite range and perfect accuracy (you can dodge a fireball, but mages cannot otherwise miss with a fireball as long as they succeed with casting the spell).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #38
Not

The term advantage is relative, isn't it? The Awakened world is a TL9^ where everyone has access to cheap, wearable AR and magic is a humdrum workaday affair. I haven't gotten 6th ed. yet, but my feeling is if you don't spend points for a character quality in Shadowrun, you probably don't need to in Gurps. Possibly excepting a few perks for things like lodges and foci.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:38 PM   #39
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
I've started working on building the spells as powers. Should I post them here or start a separate thread?
The thread title works for that. Fewer threads on a subject make it easier for those who come later to find what they want.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:39 PM   #40
AlexanderHowl

Beginning Shadowrun 4e characters are likely going to run at least 400 CP (the last edition I have a comprehensive collection). For example, I could design a beginning Troll Adept character would could deal 16P Fire Elemental damage at Reach 1 without any weapons, meaning that I could damage main battle tanks with my barehands without any extra effort. A comparable build in GURPS is probably going to run around 800 CP.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shadowrun