Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #21
coronatiger

Default Re: Campaign Log: Chaotic Pioneering

When writing this log, I've tried to write in a way that would have encouraged my old teachers to give me high grades*, since I think it correlates with an appealing and interesting experience for the readers. (Thank you, "Jenny", for the compliments on my writing!)

But then it occurred to me that the logs are supposed to be from Mattea's point of view. She certainly has no need to impress someone with fancy words and eloquent phrases, at least in this context (evaluating the events of the day). She has IQ 10 and no points in any relevant skills (Writing, Poetry etc.)

So, dear readers, do you think the log is fine the way it is, or should I make an effort to imprint Mattea's mind pattern on it? Do you have any ideas that could help me make the log feel more genuinely Mattea-ish? I'm already spending quite some time writing the logs, and I don't want to spend much additional time on it, but if someone has any tips like "keep this in mind when writing", that would be most appreciated.

* At school, I used to get average to above-average grades, not exceptional, for my writing.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:27 AM   #22
coronatiger

Default Session 4 (2018-12-08)

Thoughts on May 29th

The day started as days do here in town, with a visit at Guddan Bulguf’s little bakery for some wheat buns and reporting. Then, as I didn’t have time to do it before we left a week or so ago, I spent half the day modelling for the portrait that I would give to Olivia. I’ve already got her picture safely tucked away. In the afternoon, I performed in the street, before retiring early with Olivia. We had some enjoyable business to attend to, and we were both still tired from the ordeal with the witches.

Thoughts on May 30th

Yesterday, we noticed that there were more people in town than usual, including a bunch of adventurers, so after the wheat bun breakfast, Olivia and I went to the guildhall for a bit of socializing. I also looked at the announcement board, hoping there’d be brass knuckles or a composite bow for sale. I had no such luck.

I noticed, however, that there were several new quests up for grabs. One in particular appealed to me. The note said that we should travel by land to the province capital, Garuk. One usually goes by boat along the coast of the Silent Lake, a journey that takes two days. On the way, we should map out the area between the two settlements, and mark any dangers as well as interesting plants and minerals, in general things that might encourage or discourage civilization from spreading there. It didn’t seem like a very perilous quest. As well, I think our little group has the necessary skills to succeed. Magnar has shown an adept hand at drawing maps, and Lady Karita displayed some knowledge of plants back when we were chasing the goblins who had stolen all the animals from that farm. As for minerals, well, Magnar is a dwarf – what else needs to be said? The quest would in all likelihood end up in Garuk, where I’ve been led to believe that there is a larger selection of weaponry, so maybe I’ll be able to get some fancy gear there.

I eventually discovered why all the new people were in town: The day after tomorrow, there will be a festival with games and competitions, as well as dancing in the evening. I’d very much like to be there. I love dancing, and it will be fun to join in the games. My thought when I heard about the festival, was that I’d stick with sack racing and egg racing, and let the amateurs have the serious competitions to themselves. I don’t want to upstage them at this day of celebration.

Since Magnar is a veteran in the adventurers’ guild, I would have liked to discuss the quest with him, among other things asking if we could postpone it to after the festival since I wouldn’t want to miss it. But neither Kine nor Lady Karita knew where he was. Kine thought he might have gone on an expedition, but he hadn’t said where, or when he’d be back again.

In the evening, I performed in the street again, before returning to the Golden Swan, where Lady Karita told us that the overall winner of the competitions would gain fame and glory. That changes everything, of course. I’m going to compete, and I’m going to win.

Tomorrow, I want to check out what kind of dance the locals do. So far, I’ve only danced alone, to perform, while we’ve been in this town. The local variant shouldn’t be too different from what I’ve seen elsewhere in Virendia’s colony.

Thoughts on May 31st

When Olivia and I were leaving the inn to report to the baker, Magnar and Kine intercepted us. Magnar said that we needed to declare that we were taking the quest before anyone else could. We were also required to report to the guild leader, Gnomus Stonebite, about the previous quest. Olivia and I agreed to meet Magnar at the guildhall one hour later to reserve the quest, and when Lady Karita had risen, we all should go there again for the debrief.

During our first meeting with Master Stonebite today, we learned that we needed to register for the competition, so Magnar and I went to the officials to register. Olivia tagged along, that is to say, she walked arm-in-arm with me, but she didn’t sign up for the competition.

When it was time to debrief, Kine had wandered off. We eventually found her trying to sell a cow she had nursed back to health since the case with the goblins. Master Stonebite let us know that Lord Fidel was pleased with how we had handled things, and reiterated that the quest was secret, so we shouldn’t discuss it with anyone. Olivia wasn’t comfortable receiving as much payment as she got for this quest, and insisted she should get less on the next one. We agreed that she should get one share, and the rest of us three each. Magnar revealed that he didn’t know much about prospecting, but he knew another adventurer who did, an elf of all things, and planned to ask her to join us.

Olivia and I went to one of the less fine inns, where I learned the local dance. It wasn’t difficult to learn, and Olivia dragged me off before anything untoward could happen. Instead, we had a good time at the Golden Swan, just the two of us.

Last edited by coronatiger; 06-25-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:30 AM   #23
coronatiger

Thoughts on June 1st

Well, today was the big day of the festival. It started the way it usually does, with wheat buns and a brief report. Then I went to buy a horse, dropping by the guildhall to pay the monthly membership fee. I had noticed that Olivia’s horse, Snowflake, had been struggling under a rather heavy load recently. We had made sure that Lightfoot was able to move fast if necessary, and that meant that Snowflake had to carry more weight, even though Lightfoot is a little stronger, and now that we’re going to spend two weeks in the wilderness, we’ll need a lot of supplies, and with another horse to share the load, we’ll be able to move faster, as none of our horses will be more than lightly encumbered. The horse seller gave me an offer I couldn’t refuse. I told Olivia afterwards why it took so long to get a horse, of course. We decided to call the new horse Chestnut. Kine managed to acquire some oversized saddlebags that we could use since nobody was going to ride Chestnut.

The festival started with religious ceremonies in town. Olivia and I went together. I’m not very religious, but I try to attend the holiday celebrations, at least. We didn’t see any of the others. I guess they went to the ceremonies of their own gods.

The main part of the festival, including the games and competitions, was held outside of town. Kine had set up a booth where she’d be selling stuff to the crowd. The rest of us went to the competitions.

The first event was precision shooting. People could use any kind of items, even stones that were dipped in paint, as long as they could make marks on the target. Knowing how to use a bow, I felt advantaged, since it’s a lot easier to aim with a bow than for instance a throwing knife. There were three rounds. In the first two, we only needed to hit the target which was farther away in the second round, and those who needed it got two tries. Lady Karita, Magnar and I proceeded to the final without much difficulty. In the last round, everyone got three shots, and we had to hit as close to the center of the target as possible. Magnar failed miserably, not hitting the target even once. Lady Karita didn’t do quite as bad, getting the seventh place out of the eleven in the final round. I got thirteen out of fifteen possible points, which was barely enough to win. Wohoo! Olivia took me aside for a passionate congratulatory kiss. We didn’t have time for anything else before the next competition, which was to be mud wrestling. Oh, and I got an arrow that they said was able to hit targets easier.

In the mud wrestling competition, Lady Karita stayed with Olivia to watch. I don’t think she found the concept very dignifying. According to the organizers, if both of us proceeded that far, Magnar and I would meet in round number four. Unfortunately for him, he got a tough opponent already in the first round, who was able to beat him. I, on the other hand, seemed to be getting easy opponents all the way to the semifinal. I must admit that I had hoped for a little more rolling around in the mud. My semifinal opponent managed to wrestle me to the ground, but as each round consisted of three bouts, I was able to go on to the finals, pinning him twice in a row after the bad first bout. The last opponent didn’t stand much of a chance. Like me, he’d had to have been lucky with the opponents. I won again! I received a pair of very fine leather gloves for my effort before meeting Olivia for the main prize.

The next event was wife-carrying. They were a little strict regarding who we were allowed to carry, but I got permission to carry Olivia – they didn’t think it would be unfair that I wanted to carry someone my own size, when a lot of the men had wives half their weight. Magnar carried the elf he was going to ask along on the quest. The track was muddy and slippery, and although I managed not to fall even once, I struggled to gain enough speed to get anywhere near the best. I love having Olivia on top of me, but perhaps not while running. Magnar was a lot faster, and he could have gotten a prize if he hadn’t stumbled and taken a nose-dive. I discovered that unencumbered, he is actually faster than me! The only reason I’d been able to outrun him before was because of all the weapons and armor he was wearing. Magnar hated that I had beaten him in the first two events and insulted his manly warrior-pride. Watching me stagger across the finish line, gasping like a fish newly taken from the water, soothed him somewhat, but he was still grumbling.

Then we were going to toss poles. Each of us got three tries. Even though I have very strong arms, my overall strength is only slightly above average. My best throw was fifteen feet. Magnar threw nearly twice as far, and even he didn’t get near the winner.

The last event of the competition was an obstacle course. I had been looking forward to it, believing it to me my best bet for a prize. I must admit I felt a little pressure, having observed Magnar’s speed, but I hoped I could beat him at the obstacles. There were going to be three rounds, each with more difficult obstacles than the last. In the first round, the two of us were evenly matched, beating most of the others. I thought Magnar finished just ahead of me, so I was determined to do better in the next round. Unfortunately, I didn’t pass the slightly more difficult obstacles of the second round as easily as those in the first, so Magnar’s greater speed between the obstacles let him beat me. I still got through to the finals, though, where there were four people, Magnar and I included, who were so evenly matched that they made us do two obstacles as a tie-breaker. As running speed didn’t matter much, I crushed the rest of them, who had depended on it to get as far as to the finals. Magnar received a bronze medal, but I got a gold one, and a kiss.

Winning three out of five events led me to believe strongly that I could take the combined victory as well, but I did so poorly in the wife-carrying and pole toss competitions, that someone who had done well in all five events could still beat me. It didn’t take long before I was announced the winner, though! Fame and glory to me! My portrait would be on display at the city hall as soon as they could have it painted! Lady Karita, who had been there for tea earlier, told me that the Sidel family also would get a copy to have at their mansion.

In the evening, everyone got to dance and be merry. Lady Karita and Magnar went to a private party at the Sidel residence after a while. I would have gone too, if they’d thought to invite me, but instead I went to celebrate in private with Olivia.

Thoughts on June 2nd

When Olivia and I reported to the baker over some of his delicious wheat buns, we told him about our new quest, and mentioned that we’d probably end up in Garuk. We were told to report to a leatherworker named Alfrey Kansh when we got there.

Everyone spent the morning buying whatever supplies they thought were necessary. I brought Chestnut and his large saddlebags to get food for Olivia and me. I calculated carefully how much food the two of us would need for the next two weeks, and paid the merchant.

Magnar had asked the adventurer if she could join us to look at stones and rocks, but she was unfortunately busy, so instead he went to see if he could find someone else, but without luck. I didn’t know whether he hadn’t found anyone at all (who had the right skills) or if those he found just didn’t want to spend two weeks in the woods with him. I suspected the second to be true, so I went to look for myself. I first asked at the city hall, but they couldn’t help me, so I went to an inn where I thought there could be someone down from the mines at Garuk. I sashayed into the common room, strutting my stuff, and was introduced to a geologist in no time. I brought him back to the Golden Swan so he could negotiate his salary with Kine. I am terribly bad at haggling and negotiations, so I just accept whatever price is offered in a trade. Most people seem impressed with at least some part of who I am, be it my fame, my smile or my something something, so I generally get good prices. When someone says they want to bargain, though, I’m on thin ice. Both Kine and the geologist were happy with the outcome of the negotiations, so I guess seven silver a day is a fair price for his services.

The geologist was able to leave almost right away, so we managed to reach the outermost farm on the north side of town before dark. We didn’t have to buy additional food for him, because I had miscalculated slightly, buying twice as much as Olivia and I would need.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:33 AM   #24
coronatiger

Thoughts on June 3rd

Today our quest truly began! We decided that nobody should go anywhere alone, so when Magnar said that drawing the map required him to fly about, looking for places with good views, I went with him. We tried to stay within shouting distance from the others. The rest of them looked at plants and rocks. Although we didn’t find anything interesting, I had an exciting day with lots of new impressions. Except for when we were tracking those animals last month, I haven’t been in the wilderness since Olivia and I fled from Duke Leonard’s mansion. This time, we were a lot better prepared, both with supplies and people who knew how to find their way.

That time in Toram, since most people at the mansion were still friendly towards us, we were allowed to take Lightfoot and some food when we fled. It was just the duchess who wanted me dead, and I can’t say I can blame her. She’d noticed the way her husband looked at me, even though we had broken off the physical part of our relationship when he got engaged to her, so she banned me from the mansion. Wanting to visit Olivia, I regularly ignored the ban, but I made sure neither she nor her husband-to-be could see me come or go. One night, I had snuck in to Olivia’s room in the servants’ quarters, waiting for her to finish her chores. I didn’t think of the fact that she would be required to work long hours, even knowing that it was the duke’s and duchess’s wedding day, so I sat there waiting for a long time. There was nothing for me to do up in Olivia’s little room, so I sat down on the bed and started fantasizing about what I’d do to her when she got there. Thinking thoughts like that got me really eager, as well as steaming hot, so I undressed and was ready to pounce when she opened the door. To my surprise, the person who entered was the duke. I wasn’t able to restrain myself, but the duke managed to fend me off, barely. His bride, who came looking for him, wasn’t at all pleased to see a naked young woman trying to wrestle him to the ground. When she saw that it was me, she went absolutely crazy. She yanked my hair, pulling me off the duke. Seeing his reaction to my advances, I was completely unable to control my hunger, and I threw myself at him again, but this time he was prepared, dodging my attempt to grapple him. Using my momentum against me, he thrust me through the door and slammed it shut. His voice penetrated the haze and ordered me to leave and to take Olivia with me if she wanted to go. The moment I heard her name, the duke’s image faded from my mind, only to be replaced with Olivia’s. Shrieks of profanity chased me as I ran frantically through the servants’ quarters, peeking into rooms, seeking my target. I crashed into someone, and as the two of us hit the floor, I realized in a brief moment of lucidity that I had entered a hallway in the public area of the house and had just taken down one of the wedding guests. The man must have been drunk, for he totally ignored the potential scandal, should we be seen, seizing my hips as I scrambled to get off him, ending my movement in a straddling position. To my eternal shame, my focus shifted again. As I started peeling off his shirt, he moved his hands away from the vice-like grip, allowing a pair of not very strong, but very familiar arms to drag me away and through a secret door to a servant corridor. With one hand on my mouth to prevent me from crying out, Olivia managed to calm me down. We left the mansion at the crack of dawn, riding Lightfoot into the woods, both of us wearing Olivia’s clothes. Mine were still lying on Olivia’s bedroom floor, cut to shreds for some reason…

Thoughts on June 4th

Yesterday, we agreed on the same night watch routine as we used earlier, so Magnar woke us up early. Olivia and I sat by the fire, whispering excitedly about what we might discover today. Maybe we’d see signs of goblins? Or maybe some exotic predatory animal would stalk us? If Magnar could save us from a pouncing beast, bashing its head in before its slavering jaws could tear us limb from limb, maybe he’d stop grumbling about me beating him at the festival. Olivia fell silent when I mentioned the possibility of bandits. I held her tightly for the rest of the watch, stroking her hair.

Nobody saw anything of interest today, but I must admit I was distracted, worrying about Olivia, so I wasn’t as alert as I suppose I should have been. Her mood improved during the day, and we had a good time together after dinner, having made camp for the night.

After leaving the duke’s mansion, Olivia and I had wandered around in the wilderness for a while. We had run out of food, and had completely lost all sense of direction when we stumbled across a camp. Olivia kept insisting that the nine men were bandits and outlaws, but when we encountered them, I had guessed that they were hunters, and they had confirmed that they were. I usually trust Olivia’s word over anyone else’s, but they kept bringing wild game into the camp, reiterating that they truly were hunters. Every time Olivia pointed something out that she thought was suspicious, they had a reasonable explanation: The goods they occasionally brought back from their hunting trips were either bought from a nearby village, or had been found in an abandoned cart along the road; the reason we couldn’t leave was because they were afraid that we’d reveal the location of their abundant hunting grounds to other hunters. If I’d been alone, I wouldn’t have minded staying with them, at least for a while before taking up the life of a traveling acrobat again, for they were a good audience when I practiced and performed, and for the most part they were friendly, if a little rough around the edges. They taught us how to bandage their wounds when they’d had a run-in with a wild boar or a stag, and one of them even showed me how to shoot a bow and an elegant way of fighting unarmed. But poor Olivia lived in a constant state of fear, terrified that one of them would try to rape her. On our first night there, I promised her that we’d sneak off as soon as we got the chance, leaving Lightfoot behind if we had to. I saw incredulity shift to gratitude in her eyes when I offered to seduce the leader and let him have a taste of what I’d give them all if they’d stay away from her. They took the deal, but they still kept a close enough watch on us that we couldn’t get away. When a newcomer tried to force himself on Olivia several weeks later, I had the rest of them wrapped so tightly around my little finger that they respected my declaration that none of them would be allowed near my tent until all of our cuts and bruises had healed and the perpetrator had been severely punished. I had taken a few punches trying to fight him off, and Olivia’s bare skin had been scraped most brutally against a tree, so we were a colorful pair when a troop of soldiers arrived the very next day. They mistook the hunters for a band of deserters and killed every last one of them, bringing Olivia and me to the nearest village to be taken care of by the wise woman there.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:37 AM   #25
coronatiger

Thoughts on June 5th

The whispering during our watch today wasn’t quite as eager as yesterday’s. I have spent two days in the company of a surly dwarf, staring at trees. At least Olivia has been with people who don’t bear grudges against her. Not that the trees she’s been staring at have been any more interesting than mine. But we joined the others at breakfast, confident that today would be the day of our first exciting discovery. Lady Karita would find a strange flower. Or the geologist would find a precious stone.

We were sorely disappointed. The only bright spot of the day was when Olivia suggested something I actually had never tried before, and we spent a couple of hours exploring the idea.

Thoughts on June 6th

I still haven’t given up hope. Today, surely, someone must find something, I remember thinking at breakfast. And at lunch. Well, maybe tomorrow.

Thoughts on June 7th

I can’t believe I thought it would be fun to go exploring the wilds. Lacking anything better to do, I stood on my hands in Lightfoot’s saddle while we were traveling, just to see how long I could stay upright like that. It’s been too long since I’ve had a good acrobatics practice session. A couple of minutes now and then teaching Lady Karita don’t count. How can I become the world’s greatest acrobat if I don’t practice?

Thoughts on June 8th

I’m boooored! And I don’t think we’re even half-way through the miserable quest. A small part of me is happy for Magnar, though, who seem to be feeling better, seeing my melancholy. If it hadn’t been for Olivia’s private ministrations, I would have lost my mind ages ago.

Thoughts on June 9th

Finally, something happened! My sweet darling savior Olivia spotted a reddish, transparent blob in a tree, and told me all about how lady Karita climbed up to have a look at it. It was about a foot across, and had wrapped itself around a branch. A thin thread dangled from the blob, and when Lady Karita poked at it with a stick, the blob fell to the forest floor before slowly making its way back up a tree again.

Magnar, being an experienced adventurer, has knowledge of these blobs. He explained that they hang in the trees, feeling for an unwary animal (or human) passing by. When something touches the dangling tentacle, the blob drops down upon them, and if it hits the poor creature’s head, the victim suffocates as the blob starts digesting it. Fortunately, Magnar knows that the blobs are afraid of fire, so everyone gets a torch, ready to be lit. He told us that there are green blobs too, but those are plant-eaters, so they’re no danger to us.

We kept spotting blobs after that, both red and green, and Magnar made a warning sign on the map. By pure luck, Lady Karita discovered a plant that was in the process of eating a blob, and brought it along to study it. She moved a little apart from the rest of us to have some privacy while experimenting with the plant, but she was so preoccupied with her study of it that she didn’t notice Magnar sitting down next to her, observing. I don’t know how she reacted when she finally noticed, because by then, I was a little preoccupied, too.

Thoughts on June 10th

Today we discovered first-hand how scared the blobs are of fire. After breakfast, while we were breaking camp, Kine suddenly found herself choking inside one of them. While I stood there dumbfounded, unable to gather my wits about me, she dove for the still smoldering fire. As she neared it, the blob slid off, letting her breathe again. Magnar threw himself to the ground, preventing Kine from getting burned by clumsily sticking his own head into the fire. Olivia, who usually is quite competent at doing first aid, accidentally ripped off some of Kine’s fur trying to treat the damage that the blob had caused with its toxic saliva.

We had a slow start today because of all the things that went wrong this morning, but in the afternoon, the geologist exclaimed that he had found what appeared to be a copper seam.

Olivia’s birthday is in one month, so I need to start thinking about what to give her for a present. Maybe I’ll find something in Garuk?

Thoughts on June 11th

At last, I got a good practice session again. While Kine and Magnar escorted the geologist around trying to map out the copper seam, the rest of us stayed in camp. Lady Karita worked on extracting a liquid from the blob-eating plant that could come in handy. I tied a rope between two trees and started the day with some balancing exercises, before moving on to other things. Why did I ever think that I needed a crowd watching me perform to be happy? All I need is Olivia. She even joined me on the rope for a while. She doesn’t have my extraordinary sense of balance, neither does she have much experience, but we’ve practiced together a few times, so with my help, she managed not to fall down. We did lower the rope first, though. I prefer the heights myself, but I wouldn’t want Olivia to get hurt.

In the afternoon, the mapmakers returned, satisfied with their work of the day.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:42 AM   #26
coronatiger

Thoughts on June 12th

We still keep watch at night, although things seem to be very quiet around here. Olivia and I tried to remain alert, but we’ve discovered that it’s difficult to do so for a prolonged period of nothing.

Lady Karita found a fibery plant today. She claimed it could be used to make cloth or ropes. It didn’t look very exciting, but I suppose someone might want to harvest it. In that case, this could be a good spot to build a farm. Tomorrow, Lady Karita will take Magnar along to map out the extent of the plant growth.

Thoughts on June 13th
Nothing happened during our watch this morning. That is to say, nothing that the others would like to hear about.

When Lady Karita, Kine and Magnar went to look for more of the fibery plants, Olivia helped me set up for practice again. We had a good day in camp. Come to think of it, we’ve been very lucky with the weather on this trip.

Thoughts on June 14th

Today was another one when nothing happened, except that we exited the forest. The new terrain looked just as boring as the forest has been, but the change of scenery kept things interesting for a while. Magnar is still grumbling a little, but otherwise, things are going well. We can’t be very far away from Garuk now.

Thoughts on June 15th

Olivia keeps finding things when I start getting bored. Today she found some huge footprints. They were vaguely humanlike, but a lot bigger, and the people who made the tracks didn’t wear shoes. The tracks point towards the forest in the south. Magnar guessed that the giants might have come from the Iron Mountains, having skirted Garuk on their way south. I tried to draw one of the footprints on a sheet of paper. I’m not very used to drawing, but I have a steady hand, and took my time, so it didn’t turn out too bad. I think the rest of them were measuring the length of the strides or something while I was drawing.

We weren’t too worried about meeting the giants, as they were going south while we were zigzagging our way north.

Thoughts on June 16th

The walls of Garuk are in sight! And Kine and Magnar have been arguing forever about whether we’ve completed the quest or not. Kine thinks that we’re done, but Magnar maintains that we need to map out the rest of the way to the city. Since it’s not that many hours away, we decided that we’ll go into the city tomorrow and ask the guildmaster. We’ve brought along a letter from Master Stonebite, explaining the quest and its terms of payment. If necessary, we’ll go back out and finish the job.

Thoughts on June 17th

This morning, we went straight for the city. Magnar was recognized at the gate while I was not. That seemed to put the world back in its proper place as far as he was concerned. He proceeded to talk business with the guards. I was impatient to get to an inn and to the comforts of civilization, but waited for him to finish gossiping, so we all could get rooms at the same inn; Kine seized the opportunity to get her wagon at the docks.

This city is larger and better fortified than the town we left two weeks ago. But its best inn isn’t that much bigger than the Golden Swan. When we inquired after rooms, the innkeeper told us that all the rooms were occupied. I asked him if he didn’t have a small room in the attic that he could make available if I’d perform in the common room. I was affronted when he asked me how I would perform, but I did a backflip and struck a pose. My fame clearly hasn’t spread to this city. Admittedly, I haven’t been anywhere near here before, but still! Hm… Did I forget to introduce myself? Have I grown so arrogant that I expect people to recognize me by my face alone? No matter, we got the room for free for as long as I perform in the common room at night. Since Lady Karita is high human, the innkeeper vacated his own apartment for her. Kine paid off the geologist, and then she and Magnar left to find rooms elsewhere, agreeing to meet us here tomorrow morning.

I don’t mind living in a cramped space, as long as Olivia can cramp it with me. I do prefer the finest inns available, though, where people are respectable, respectful and rich enough to tip well when I perform. The crowd here showed itself to be comprised mostly of adventurers, too haughty to tip at all. Not that I really need the money; the largest expenditure on the road is room and board, and we got that for free. It’s the principle of the matter!

Thoughts on June 18th

Considering Lady Karita’s morning habits, Kine and Magnar were in no rush to get back to our inn. When everyone met up in the common room, we waited for Lady Karita to finish her breakfast, before walking over to the guildhall to hand over the letter and make our report. The guild master needed to send for experts to evaluate the map, so Kine went to the city hall to get a license to trade in the marketplace in the meantime. Not being a member of the merchant guild is a little inconvenient, it seems. The experts studied our map and listened to our reports. Based on their assessment, the guild master determined the value of our map, and paid us accordingly.

Then it was time to go shopping! Olivia and I spent the remainder of the day seeing what the city had to offer. I truly feel like an adventurer: I bought a composite bow and brass knuckles, and having seen the usefulness of wearing armor, I bought cloth armor as well. I don’t want to be slowed down, so metal armor is right out, but perhaps I’ll upgrade to leather at some time in the future.

On our tour of the city, Olivia and I stopped by the shop of leatherworker Alfrey Kansh to introduce ourselves and make our report.

Being an adventurer certainly brings diversity to one’s life. We’ve had three quests so far, of completely different natures. Hopefully, the others are willing to stay in Garuk for a few days before we embark on our fourth. I would really like to set up a show here and perform. I wonder if Lady Karita can get me an invitation to perform for the governor?

Old 12-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #27
coronatiger

Default Session 5 (2018-12-16)

Thoughts on June 19th

Since we only have a tiny room in the attic, I asked the innkeeper here at the Red Mansion if it was possible to make a reservation for when a better room becomes available. He said that there already was a queue for the rooms, but I could meet him in the back room for negotiation in half an hour. One steaming negotiation later, I was first in line. Olivia being Olivia, she knew long before I did what was going to happen, but she said nothing until afterwards. Olivia endeavors to intercept gratuitous indulgences, but customarily acquiesces when I employ my expertise to obtain an objective. Hm… I must have heard those phrases somewhere, but I don’t remember where. If I’d been willing to reveal that thought in a report, I would have had to use my own words, to make sure that I said things right.

I went to see Alfrey Kansh again, telling Olivia I was going to report. But after doing that, I asked if he had any suggestions for a gift. As I don’t really know what leatherworkers can do, I was thinking along the lines of something nice with an inscription or engraving. We discussed some possibilities, and I finally decided on getting a kinky leather outfit. He said I needed to get him Olivia’s measurements, but in my mind, having Olivia wear it would be a gift for me rather than for her, so I ordered two sets, matching but not identical, one for each of us. He took my measurements and said the outfits would be ready in a few days.

Then I went in search of someone who could help me organize a few performances. I found one Hess Yggarson who took the job after I had explained what I wanted. I needed him to find and rent a venue, hire somebody who could arrange and direct the show, and sign on additional entertainers. It would take a couple of days for the preliminary work, including having auditions, and then the training would commence. Hess said that he would take care of the finances, including paying everyone. I trust him to pay fair wages.

In the evening, back at the inn, Olivia and I met Lady Karita and Kine for a drink or two. Kine said she needed help to retrieve something from somewhere tonight, and she was very vague about it. Since it wasn’t bedtime for a little while yet, I agreed to go with her. When it eventually became clear to me that she was talking about breaking in and stealing whatever it was she was after, I naturally became hesitant. Someone mentioned that she’d have to flee town afterwards, but she wasn’t in complete agreement. I said I once insulted a duchess and had to flee to the New World because of it. There was an air of incredulity about the table, and wanting to delay Kine from doing anything rash – maybe Magnar could talk some sense into her – I proceeded to tell the story of how Duke Leonard and Duchess Anemeata encountered a nude acrobat on their wedding night.

Olivia and I went up to our room hoping that Kine would be sensible, but once we got up there, all thoughts of anyone else disappeared. It was easy to get Olivia’s measurements, though, without giving away what I was doing.

Thoughts on June 20th

Following Hess’s suggestion, I talked to the adventurers at the Red Mansion in the morning to start spreading the word that Mattea Vishi was going to perform in the city, and that if any of them had any talent for entertainment, they could see him for an audition. Hess had already started posting notes around town, of course, but anything to help, I guess.

After Lady Karita had had breakfast, everyone met up at the guildhall to see if there were any new quests we could take on. I would have liked to postpone any questing until next week, so I could prepare for and go through with the shows as planned. Kine, on the other hand, would like to go almost immediately, and not return for quite some time. As for the sort of quest each of us would like, I’d prefer something not too dangerous and Lady Karita something not too complicated. Magnar, who still bears a grudge (I thought he had gotten over it) wants something dangerous and complicated. Kine just said she wanted a quest that pays well, relative to time spent, so I guess she leans towards the dangerous and complicated as well.

Ignoring Kine’s desire to abscond with her not-yet-ill-gotten gains, an agreement was made to undertake a short quest, exploring a particular complex of rooms deep under the mountains. Unless something unforeseen happens, we’ll return in three days.

Talking to fellow adventurers over some beer, we learned that an unknown race, reminiscent of elves, inhabited the area under the mountains a long time ago. We’ll be invading one of their abandoned houses to map it out and make sure it’s safe. I don’t know if “house” is an accurate description; it might just be a carved-out cavern. We’re warned that the ancients were fond of traps, and that we will find trapdoors and spears shooting out of the walls, and more. The adventurers also tell us that there is a checkpoint at the entrance to the mines, and that anything Chaotic that we find down there will be confiscated, but with a five gold finder’s fee for our trouble.

The horses may not want to go into the dark, so after stocking up healing potions and maps, we headed for the mine entrance which is located about one hour outside of the city. Both Chestnut and Snowflake enter without much fuss, along with Lady Karita’s and Kine’s animals, but Lightfoot, the best-trained horse, refused to go. Since Kine’s oxen can pull her wagon, Magnar can put his gear on it. He didn’t even bring his horse to try. I suspect that he has some reason not to lead Hungover through the checkpoint, but I can’t figure it out. Except for the name, the horse seems quite normal to me.

On our return to Garuk, everyone went their separate ways to get whatever supplies they’ll need. I told Olivia we should bring enough to last for five days, and she helped me calculate how much food and fodder we had to buy. It turned out we still had more than enough travel rations remaining from the last quest, but we got something for the horses.

I also went to see Hess Yggarson again, to let him know I’d be gone for three days. He said it would be fine, as long as I returned in time for a day of practice with the others before the show; he was confident that I didn’t need any time practicing on my own.

Before tucking in with Olivia, I told the innkeeper that I’d be gone for three days, and that if a room should become available, I’d pay for it to remain so until our return.

Thoughts on June 21st

I made sure Lightfoot will be taken good care of while I’m away. Olivia and I took turns riding Snowflake. Except for Kine driving her wagon, everyone else walked, since the rest of the horses were loaded with supplies. I would have offered to let Lady Karita ride, but she’s considerably taller and heavier than Olivia and me, so I decided not to; I know I would have been the proper thing to do, but I hate giving the horses more than a light load. I think I’d have made another decision if she had been the only one slowing us down, but the dwarf was as heavily armed and armored as he usually is, so she didn’t.

Kine’s wagon held two large barrels of water in addition her regular trade goods and some of Magnar’s surplus weaponry. We’d heard that the water down here is bad, and that good water can only be bought at certain places at steep cost, so Kine decided to bring some to sell cheaper, in addition to what we’d need for ourselves and the animals.

The checkpoint is located some distance from the entrance. Soldiers there quickly looked through our packs. I had thought we would be patted down to see if we were trying to smuggle something past the checkpoint. I must admit I was a little disappointed when they didn’t, but Olivia picked up on it and gave me a silent promise of what was to come if I could wait until tonight.

We met several adventurers on their way out of the mines. For some reason, Kine decided to give everyone free water and large discounts on whatever else they wanted to buy.

We passed an inn in the early afternoon, but proceeded to the next one after a short rest. At the Mild Mole, we discovered that every bed was taken, but we had brought our tents, so we’d get some privacy if not soft mattresses. While Kine and Magnar sold supplies and cheap water, I went inside to perform a little before bedtime. There was a bard playing, so I chose to dance for the crowd. Before things could get out of hand, Olivia reminded me of her promise, and we left to set up camp with the others in our party. The innkeeper wasn’t happy that Kine undercut his water prices, so we walked a couple of minutes away from the inn before pitching our tents.

Last edited by coronatiger; 12-18-2018 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #28
coronatiger

Thoughts on June 22nd
As we agreed last night, Magnar woke Olivia and me for our watch in the morning. The original reasoning for the watch schedule was that Magnar should take the middle watch, when it is darkest, and Kine, who has good night vision, should take the first watch, when it’s darkening, while we mere humans should take the last watch after it starts getting lighter. The arguments aren’t really valid in the mines where it’d dark all the time, but then again, we had no real reason to change the schedule either.

After several hours of walking, we arrived at a portal, beyond which was the complex that we were going to explore. Olivia stayed outside with the animals, wagon and supplies, while the rest of us entered. Lady Karita and Kine went in front with one of the lanterns, looking for traps, Lady Karita studying the walls, floor and ceiling, Kine banging on the floor in front of them with a long stick. Magnar and I followed behind them with another lantern attached to Magnar’s belt.

We passed through a short corridor which opened up in a large chamber. Along one wall was several gruesome demon statues. The walls were covered with red paintings depicting the original inhabitants doing despicable things with people of other races. While Magnar and Kine studied the statues and paintings (yeew!), Lady Karita looked for traps at the exits, and I poked a stick at the floor in case there was a trapdoor we had missed.

There were four exits from the room, in addition to the one we entered through, and Kine noticed footprints in the dust in one of the hallways, so we went that way. We found an open trapdoor in the hallway with some scrap at the bottom. We lowered Kine down to take a look, and she discovered that the scrap was rusted spearheads. When I asked whether there were holes in the floor, she confirmed it, but noted that the spearheads didn’t fit. I remembered one of the adventurers telling us that whenever someone had found a sarcophagus down here, it only contained dust, so it was certainly a long while since the ancients disappeared. Stands to reason wooden objects, like spear hafts, also have turned to dust. There were no valuables down there, so Kine came back up again. I leapt easily over the two yards of hole. The others took a running jump to get across. Lady Karita nearly fell in, but Magnar managed to steady her, so she didn’t. Or was that another trapdoor, later? Anyway…

We found a series of four rusted grating doors along one corridor. Three of them were open, but Magnar had to smash his way through one of them. There was some gold in two of the rooms behind the doors. We can keep anything we find down here, except for the Chaotic stuff, which we’ll get paid for at the checkpoint.

We entered another huge chamber. This one had four sarcophaguses along the opposite wall. I was alarmed by the presence of the four bodies lying on the ground not far from the largest one. Magnar can see heat somehow, and he said that the bodies were dwarven corpses that had been there at least long enough to cool down to the same temperature as the surroundings. We thought there had to be a trap near them, so we entered the room cautiously.

As soon as we did, the dwarves stood up, turned towards us with dead eyes and raised their weapons. By the time Magnar had beaten one of them to the ground with his flail, Lady Karita’s hidden armor had taken a couple of scratches, and both she and Kine had used and subsequently abandoned their long-range weapons (throwing stars and a long whip, respectively), and were fighting with fists, claws and a shorter whip. Standing heroically a little behind the others, I had just managed to put the first arrow on the bowstring and was ready to release it at the dwarf farthest from Magnar.

After that first shot, I decided that it would take forever to draw another arrow, and just as I took my first step forward, a blast of green smoke exploded from the mouth of one of the dwarves. Lady Karita dodged out of the blast zone. Kine was caught in the middle of it, but it didn’t look as though it affected her very much; she just staggered a little and was able to fight on.

I ran around the fight to come at the dwarves from behind. It worked reasonably well, but I didn’t hit very hard. I thought I had put my new brass knuckles on, but I eventually discovered that I hadn’t. I managed to distract one of them, though, so Magnar could get him. After that, it didn’t take long before the other two were down. However, one of them had managed to blast Lady Karita with the green smoke, and she had crumpled to the floor after expelling a short yelp of pain.

I know I’m not very good at first aid; Olivia is much more competent. And she had my first aid kit, which I hadn’t brought because I didn’t think we’d get injured. I needed to run and get it. Kine was obviously in pain from the green breath, Lady Karita was unconscious on the floor, and Magnar had retained one of the picks the dwarves had used; it had penetrated his armor and was stuck in his chest. Walking armory, indeed! He didn’t complain, so it couldn’t be that bad. I grabbed a lantern and sprinted through the hallways, making sure I didn’t go anywhere we hadn’t yet explored, leaping over the open trapdoors along my path. As I was nearing her, I yelled for Olivia to get out the first aid kit. I didn’t stop to kiss her in thanks, I just grabbed it and raced back to the others, returning less than one minute after leaving them.

I pulled out the pick from Magnar and hurriedly applied bandages to the wound. Expertly, I might add; the bleeding stopped in no time. I was a little bewildered at the lack of wounds on Lady Karita and Kine, but I put some bandages on them, just in case. Lady Karita came to after a few minutes, and after resting for a while, she declared herself ready to proceed.

Magnar had taken a look at the dwarves we had fought, and saw that they had holes on top of their heads and on their shoulders. I figured that some underworld monster had struck at them and sucked out their brains, but Lady Karita, who had been lying on her back for quite a while, had noticed that the entire ceiling was riddled with small holes, except for above the sarcophaguses. Magnar went over to the largest one and tried to lift off the lid while the rest of us observed from the safety of the hallways.

As Lady Karita had predicted, the moment he grabbed hold of the lid, spears dropped down from the ceiling, only to be pulled slowly back up by some unseen mechanism. Magnar wasn’t able to lift the lid at all, and not even when everyone tried to lift together, did we get it off. Fortunately for us, we now had picks that Magnar and I could use to destroy the stone lid. It took a little while, but we got through in the end, dropping the spears nearly every time one of us landed a swing.

A feeling of doom descended upon us, but we tried to stay professional. The sarcophagus contained a mummy, but no treasures; the smaller sarcophaguses were easy to open, but contained only dust. However, finding a mummy where nobody had even found any bones could be worth something.

We had cleared the rest of the complex while pondering how to get past the traps of the sarcophagus, but didn’t find much of interest. Magnar and I carried the mummy carefully between us as we followed Lady Karita and Kine along a path with no pitfalls. As we neared the exit, we could hear the animals panicking. I ran forward with the other girls, leaving the mummy with Magnar.

Olivia was holding an ox with one hand and Snowflake with the other. When Magnar and the mummy came into view, Chestnut bolted down one passage and the oxen broke free from Olivia’s grip and charged the other way, dragging the wagon behind them. Lady Karita climbed into the saddle of her wild-eyed, but not too unmanageable horse, and started chasing Chestnut. Snowflake, on the other hand, was rearing and bucking. I have some experience with handling horses, but I’m not that good at comforting them, so I reckoned my best bet would be to jump into the saddle and force Snowflake to calm down by convincing her she couldn’t throw me off. After gaining a semblance of control, I dashed after Lady Karita and Chestnut.

We caught all the runaway animals, but they didn’t want to return before Magnar carried the mummy back inside. We decided to camp at the entrance to the complex before striking out for the checkpoint tomorrow, hoping to be able to hand over the mummy before camping again.

With the doomy, gloomy ambiance around the camp, neither Olivia nor I was in a funny mood, but she mercifully put her hand to suppressing my growing hunger.

Last edited by coronatiger; 12-18-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #29
coronatiger

Thoughts on June 23rd

Magnar woke us expectedly after his watch ended. Olivia and I were eager to get away, so it seemed like an eternity before everyone finally had had their breakfasts. Lady Karita drank a potion. It might have restored some of her vitality, but it didn’t have any effect on her morning grumpiness.

We decided to pass by the two inns, the Mild Mole and the other one that I can’t remember the name of, with speed and silence. Magnar had to walk behind the rest of us with the mummy. We heard the animals at the inns take fright when he passed them.

When it was nearing the time to settle down for the night, Kine and I argued that the checkpoint wasn’t really that far away, so we should try to get there and hand over the mummy. The others, wanting to get rid of it, agreed. It took another four hours before we arrived there, though. And the obstinate soldiers on guard didn’t want to wake their superiors, so we had to hide the mummy a little way back before camping.

Even though the mummy was still affecting our tempers, my hunger reared its head when I heard the familiar rustle of clothes being unworn next to me in the darkness of our tent. Olivia had faced the problem before, and handled it as efficiently as ever. Sometimes, I wonder if this kind of dispassionate feeding isn’t quite as sustaining as a mutually enjoyable feast is.

Thoughts on June 24th
The inspectors were more thorough this time, and we got our five gold pieces for the mummy. But still no pat-down… I remember thinking that when I got Olivia back to the Red Mansion, I’d make sure she hadn’t smuggled anything past the checkpoint. And she’d better check me as well. Meticulously.

We went straight to the guildhall to report and get paid, and to split the loot. Then we went to the Red Mansion where we discovered that there was an empty room waiting for us. Unfortunately, it’s still early in the day, and there is so much I need to do before bedtime, so many people I need to see. I can’t remember giving Olivia’s measurements to the leatherworker, so I’ve got to do that before I forget again. But now that I’ve seen the room, dropping off all the luggage, I’m not sure I can think straight anymore. I’ll have to warn Olivia.

Unlike other sessions, we ended this one in the middle of the day, so I expect there'll be another June 24th entry.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:59 AM   #30
coronatiger

Default Session 6 (2019-01-05)

Secrets, secrets... Everybody has secrets. Some of them are known to the other players, but not to the other characters, like the fact that Magnar is trying to track down the priests who confiscated the mummy. Others, like why he is doing it, are kept from the rest. Everyone except Kine's player went outside the room with the GM at one point or other, and excessive amounts of notes were passed around the table. As I'm writing from Mattea's point of view, and she's even more in the dark than I am, lots of things going on this session are left out of the log.

Thoughts on June 24th (continued)

So many people to see… I love it, but I’d also have liked to just stay at the inn all day.

First, we saw the leatherworker, Alfrey Kansh. I secretly handed him Olivia’s measurements while reporting what went down in the mines.

Then we went to Hess Yggarson. He told us that the show was going to be a play mostly consisting of mock combat, since all the actors were adventurers, and therefore talented fighters. It wasn’t exactly what I had imagined, but he assured me that there would be lots of opportunities to do balancing and acrobatics, and the dialog was minimal. There would be two performances a day for the first few days, starting on the 27th, then one. The show would go on for about a week.

As the daily common practice sessions lasted from nine to three, I was able to meet everyone before they left for the day. In addition to the five acting adventurers, there were extras, seamstresses, makeup-artists, stagehands and more. I stayed there most of the evening, learning my part and chatting with the crew. The seamstresses got to start on my costume. I look forward to see it.

Our new room, or rather suite of rooms, at the Red Mansion is more luxurious than any I’ve seen this side of the ocean. It reminds me of my room at the House of the Rose in Toram, where I stayed before moving in with Duke Leonard. The bed is certainly as delightfully soft as can be imagined. Ah, here comes Olivia…

Thoughts on June 25th

Kine and Magnar came to see me practice this morning. At a break, Kine asked if I could help her smuggle some items into a building. She’d pay me 10 gold pieces for my aid! I thought it sounded fishy, but she assured me it wasn’t when I voiced my concern, so I told her I’d come. She left to go trading at the market, and I guess she’ll contact me again when it’s time to make the delivery. Magnar stayed for a couple of hours before saying good bye.

I promised Kine I’d tell Lady Karita she was looking for her, but when I returned to the inn, the whole party was just arriving as well, so there was no need. Kine made the same offer to Lady Karita as she made to me. What a faux pas! I nearly face-palmed myself. Kine clearly doesn’t have much experience dealing with nobility. Since we’ve all become quite close over the last month or so, Lady Karita was able to overlook the insult, and requested a private dining room so she could hear Kine out.

Kine told us that she was going to smuggle weapons into a house. It seemed to me she hadn’t thought it through. From what she’d told me earlier, the operation was legitimate, so I asked her why she didn’t just knock on the door and make the delivery. She explained that the guards at the house wouldn’t let her bring the weapons inside. My follow-up question was naturally why she couldn’t simply give the weapons to the them, then, to have the guards bring them inside. After some sharp questions from Lady Karita, Kine admitted that the owner of the house is a slave trader, and that she is going to help the slaves break free. There are many lawful reasons for owning slaves, but it seems like the slaves in this house have been taken illegally. After discussing to-and-fro, we agreed that the right way to proceed was to alert the authorities, and have them liberate the slaves.

Thoughts on June 26th

Today was the last day of practice before the show. The practice went well and I got my flashy costume, so everything is ready for tomorrow.

Olivia and I met Lady Karita and Kine for dinner at the Red Mansion. Magnar was attending to some private business, so he couldn’t join us. Lady Karita told me she had received an invitation to a ball at the Tinderholm residence in a few days, and when she saw how envious I was, she said she might get me an invitation. Tinderholm is one of the ruling families in the region.

Thoughts on June 27th
This morning, I was so elated about the performances that I got up early and started rummaging noisily around the room, waking Olivia. She complained that it was still dark, that it must be hours until breakfast, but I was wide awake, and insisted on getting ready. She asked if I knew where her clothes were. Then the sneaky little kitten lifted the blanket, showing me where they were not. We woke up again in time for breakfast.

We went to see Lady Karita’s dressmaker, assuming her social standing and my fame would be enough to get me into the ball. I’ve never had to pay for my own fancy dresses before, so I was quite taken aback by the price, but I could afford it. Luckily, I didn’t have to pay for a dress for Olivia as well. She’d be uncomfortable trying to hobnob with the high and mighty, and anyway, the only way I’d get her in was as a servant.

The matinee was a disaster. I forgot all my lines, and my acrobatic performance was mediocre. After an intense study session reading lines with Olivia, the soiree went a little better, but there is still much room for improvement. I should have focused more on learning my lines, but my obsession about becoming the world’s greatest acrobat had gotten in the way.

Thoughts on June 28th
After practicing my lines again this morning with Olivia, I finally remembered all of them when I was supposed to. I’m never going to be a good actor, but I never sought to become one either. My talents lie elsewhere.

Between the two shows, I picked up my ball gown, and in the evening, Lady Karita told me I could come to the party. I celebrated with Olivia.

Tags
campaign log