Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-19-2019, 02:41 AM   #1
Chris Rice

Default TFT custom dice

With the massive success of the Legacy Edition KS, would there be a possibility of some TFT custom dice in the future? I'm thinking of dice where the 1 spot is replaced by the iconic Gothic "T"? I know this was mentioned during the KS but there wasn't time plus I don't think any of knew quite how big the KS would get.

Steve/Phil, what do you guys think?
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:44 AM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: TFT custom dice

We do like dice . . .

I'll share this with Steve and we can discuss. Thanks!
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:58 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Maybe T-F-T diagonally in place of the 3? (Just to be different. Everybody replaces the 1 :)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:16 AM   #4
FireHorse

Maybe two different dice: red with an M and blue with a W…? Just like the ones that came with the Legacy Edition, but with the letters.

Last edited by FireHorse; 04-19-2019 at 04:24 AM.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:39 AM   #5
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
Maybe two different dice: red with an M and blue with a W…? Just like the ones that came with the Legacy Edition, but with the letters.
In the interest of explaining why some ideas cannot be explored:

Tooling is very expensive. One way to make multiple custom designs is a family mold: Pack two, three, four different designs -- all the same size and shape -- into a single mold. That then means you run _all_ of those designs at once when shooting plastic.

To create what you've described would mean two separate molds; or one mold and producing a lot of dice that are destroyed since half the run would not fit your proposal.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:41 AM   #6
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Maybe T-F-T diagonally in place of the 3? (Just to be different. Everybody replaces the 1 :)
We considered something similar for a recent die design. We quickly identified that this would lead to confusion; if all of your previous dice replace the "1" with an icon, changing that approach to design will make the die difficult to use.

On the "let's get really mean" front: Six dice, where we replace a different side on each die with the same icon. That way you have to look at every face of each die to know what the icon means for that particular roll.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:00 AM   #7
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
To create what you've described would mean two separate molds; or one mold and producing a lot of dice that are destroyed since half the run would not fit your proposal.
Ahhh, okay, I get it now: using only one color per mold is a waste of molds — and my suggestion would be even more wasteful, because it would be only one design per mold, too. (Or more precisely, one Color+Design combination.)

Yeah, never mind. Sorry, I wasn't thinking it all the way through. It seems terribly obvious, in retrospect…
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:24 AM   #8
Chris Rice

I think the fact that you want to roll low to hit in TFT is also a significant reason why you'd want the emblem on the 1 spot.

"Roll three "Ts" for triple damage!
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:48 AM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
Ahhh, okay, I get it now: using only one color per mold is a waste of molds — and my suggestion would be even more wasteful, because it would be only one design per mold, too. (Or more precisely, one Color+Design combination.)

Yeah, never mind. Sorry, I wasn't thinking it all the way through. It seems terribly obvious, in retrospect…
No problem at all! Not everyone deals with this sort of thing regularly, or has had the chance to walk through the factory and see every step of production, so it is our pleasure to share behind-the-scenes info where possible.

The more everyone understands the processes and reasons, the easier it is on our team.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #10
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We considered something similar for a recent die design. We quickly identified that this would lead to confusion
That's a good point. Everyone's been trained by all the existing dice to read "special symbol" as a 1, so it's probably wise to keep that face as the special one. (Probably makes the factory happier, too.) I suppose you could still squeeze a "TFT" on there, but on the 1 face it probably shouldn't be on the diagonal.

The lone "T" in the OP isn't a bad idea, either. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote