Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #31
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: is there a way to make a power mimic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Except canonically, he doesn't seem to keep most abilities he mimics. He seems to have Modular Ability with a restriction that he has to pattern whatever he uses Modular Ability points for on another character's "attack". He doesn't have to replicate said attack perfectly, but he has to come somewhat close. In some settings, he is a "Power Thief", in others, just a Power Mimic (but beating a foe prevents them resisting).
He doesn't? IIRC, he might lose them from game to game, but that always seemed like a justifiable break for playability. Once he gets the "parts"/"attack data"/whatever, he gets to keep them for the rest of the game, energy permitting.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #32
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
He doesn't? IIRC, he might lose them from game to game, but that always seemed like a justifiable break for playability. Once he gets the "parts"/"attack data"/whatever, he gets to keep them for the rest of the game, energy permitting.
Extended Duration (Game/campaign) instead of Extended Duration (Permanent), wouldn't make much of a difference in pricing.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #33
kirbwarrior

Quote:
I would not class Megaman as a mimic (Never been a fan of the Kirby games, so I don't really know about it). It's a character who has well delimited powers, that do not include mimicry. The "kill foe to get it's attack" is simply an excuse to allow him to spend his points in an alternate attack.
Kirby is actually heavily mooks, so it wouldn't be too unfair for him (most everything dies in one hit, using Power Theft on them is enough to kill them). Minibosses he has to kill, Bosses he can't steal from, but they commonly drop thievable things.
Quote:
Game vs show/plot. The games he kills bosses and keeps powers until he kills Wily, anywhere else he touches or watches enemies and uses their powers for short periods of time. Technically, the points he gets for each session in the game (each boss/level) just straight goes into alternate IAs.

I do feel that, in a single player campaign, Power Thieves are much more fair.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #34
Leynok

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Kirby is actually heavily mooks, so it wouldn't be too unfair for him (most everything dies in one hit, using Power Theft on them is enough to kill them). Minibosses he has to kill, Bosses he can't steal from, but they commonly drop thievable things.
Except would Kirby even have a power mimic? Working from memory, like Megaman, Kirby doesn't always replicate the power exactly as his enemies have it. 3 enemies can use fire in a different way, but they would all grant the same fire ability to Kirby (within the realms of the same game at least, what powers are available can change a lot with each game).

Quote:
I do feel that, in a single player campaign, Power Thieves are much more fair.
Well yes. In a single player game, there are no other players to overshadow or take useful powers from. It's much easier to keep in control, since the GM hands you every possible power you can get and when.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #35
Otaku

Quote:
Exactly... I see little reason a single Mega Man "game" would be viewed as longer than a single "adventure" in GURPS terms, and definitely not an entire campaign (e.g. permanently keeping it). Given the brisk pace of Mega Man games, viewing a single game as a single session is plausible.

Though I think we are getting a bit confused on what we are debating. At best Mega Man seems to be able to store X slots for Weapons/Helper Items (see The Wily Wars) and would have to clear those out for new information. If anyone has read the Archie comics (or the various manga) let me know how they handle it. The Ruby Spears cartoon only let him keep stuff until the end of the episode... and since I didn't see all episodes, perhaps not even that long?

My main point was that outside of Ruby Spears, he seems more of a mimic than a thief: he can get "upgrades" from home freely (well, in game it might cost Bolts/Screws/etc.) but as all the targets he can mimic are hostile to him, he has to defeat them simply because it prevents resistance (and the games probably couldn't handle the complexity of him sneaking up on a foe to copy XD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Extended Duration (Game/campaign) instead of Extended Duration (Permanent), wouldn't make much of a difference in pricing.
Again, given that Mega Man is a crazy long running series with over 11 games in the "core" run (Mega Man through Mega Man 10 plus Mega Man & Bass), treating a single game as a campaign doesn't seem right. Again, at most it would be the end of the adventure and Mega Man games are mostly short affairs a competent player can beat in under 3 hours... at least for the classic series (X, Hub, etc. are all different matters).
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #36
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Again, given that Mega Man is a crazy long running series with over 11 games in the "core" run (Mega Man through Mega Man 10 plus Mega Man & Bass), treating a single game as a campaign doesn't seem right. Again, at most it would be the end of the adventure and Mega Man games are mostly short affairs a competent player can beat in under 3 hours... at least for the classic series (X, Hub, etc. are all different matters).
That holds true for books too, a single book can be done as a campaign or as a single adventure session.

Personally I'd classify them as individual campaigns which are linked to each other, when one book/game finishes you wait until the next book/game is published before you read/play it, when one multi-session campaign ends you wait until you're ready to run the next multi-session campaign.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #37
kirbwarrior

I don't actually have a good grasp of what the differences between campaign, session, and adventure are. Is a session however long everyone sits down and plays for one unit of time before stopping? What are campaigns and adventures compared to that?
Old 09-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #38
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
I don't actually have a good grasp of what the differences between campaign, session, and adventure are. Is a session however long everyone sits down and plays for one unit of time before stopping? What are campaigns and adventures compared to that?
A session is a single sit down play.
An adventure is single theme action which may or may not take multiple sessions to complete.
A campaign is a story arc which may involve multiple adventures.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #39
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
A session is a single sit down play.
An adventure is single theme action which may or may not take multiple sessions to complete.
A campaign is a story arc which may involve multiple adventures.
Oh, thank you, that makes my life much easier when reading through gurps.

A note on Megaman, Zelda on the snes also takes only 6 hours to beat, and many early final fantasies only 10 (referencing only for their times). I don't think that means that is how short the game is from the character's point of views. Megaman might be a full campaign per game.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #40
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
A note on Megaman, Zelda on the snes also takes only 6 hours to beat, and many early final fantasies only 10 (referencing only for their times). I don't think that means that is how short the game is from the character's point of views. Megaman might be a full campaign per game.
Pretty much every new videogame is equivalent to a full campaign, games often have many different adventures in them, and there's often years between new games/campaigns, and you can play the same game/campaign multiple times, often choosing different adventures and different protagonists.

Tags
neutralize, power theft