Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 05-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #141
Parody

Default Re: The Unoffial 2056 Vehicle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
I thought it was 1 point of damage for every 50 lbs ... so it would take 156 points of damage to confetti a pull-weight pick-up.
The 78 points in question are probably incoming damage, before the CA Frame is applied. A ram that does 78 points of damage doubles to 156 and you're dropping counters all over the map.

To average 78 points without a ramplate takes approximately 23 dice, which is a 140 MPH collision. Not an unreasonable speed for a head-on. With a ramplate you'd need to be somewhere around 100 MPH (15d).
Old 05-23-2009, 07:38 AM   #142
Hemlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
The 78 points in question are probably incoming damage, before the CA Frame is applied. A ram that does 78 points of damage doubles to 156 and you're dropping counters all over the map.

To average 78 points without a ramplate takes approximately 23 dice, which is a 140 MPH collision. Not an unreasonable speed for a head-on. With a ramplate you'd need to be somewhere around 100 MPH (15d).

Which leads me to ask ... Who in their right mind purposely gets into a head-on when the other guy has a ram-plate and you don't ?
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:02 AM   #143
43Supporter

Quote:
Which leads me to ask ... Who in their right mind purposely gets into a head-on when the other guy has a ram-plate and you don't ?
http://www.novacw.com/nm10-2.htm ; scroll down to "Top Ten Famous Last
Words of Autoduelists", and read #1.

Guess how The Author [ahem :) ] knew to include that?

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #144
Hemlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
http://www.novacw.com/nm10-2.htm ; scroll down to "Top Ten Famous Last
Words of Autoduelists", and read #1.

Guess how The Author [ahem :) ] knew to include that?
Let me guess ... the Author knew to include that because ... *drumroll* ... he's done it before ?
Old 05-25-2009, 02:06 AM   #145
43Supporter

Quote:
Let me guess ... the Author knew to include that because ... *drumroll* ... he's done it before ?
No, but you're close -- the Author's car was about 30' away when it happened.
(And the Author was using PR tires, so the Debris Field was a concern.) :)

As noted earlier: The Author Does Not Use Carbon-Aluminum Frames.... >:)

79er

Old 05-25-2009, 06:53 AM   #146
Hemlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
No, but you're close -- the Author's car was about 30' away when it happened.
(And the Author was using PR tires, so the Debris Field was a concern.) :)

As noted earlier: The Author Does Not Use Carbon-Aluminum Frames.... >:)
Bolded section :

Proof that the Author has some common sense.

C-A frames are major suckage. Although I like the idea of being able to incorporate 'advanced' high-cost materials for low chassis weight, the penalty of taking double damage in collisions was too much for me to bear.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:09 AM   #147
43Supporter

Quote:
C-A frames are major suckage. Although I like the idea of being able to incorporate 'advanced' high-cost materials for low chassis weight, the penalty of taking double damage in collisions was too much for me to bear.
Yup. They were made totally non-viable when one of the Gang of Four (can't
remember which foo^H^H^Hone it was) decided that Chassis and Suspension
costs were to be based on the *modified* Body cost, thus forcing any C-A-
equipped car into a Division *at least two levels higher* than before.

79er

Old 05-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #148
Racer

Default Re: The Unoffial 2059 Vehicle Guide .

Bombardier 2059: Sedan , Hvy. Chassis , Hvy. Suspension , Super Power Plant w/PCs , Driver , ATG w/9 rounds APFSDS ammo F , Extra Mag. w/9 rounds HESH ammo , SWC , Mag. Switch , Bumper Trigger F ( ATG ) , Heavy Rocket Back , High Torque Motors , Sloped Plastic Armor : F 35 R 30 , L 30 , B 22 , T 10 , U 10 , 2-4pt Hubs F , 2-4pt Guards B , 10pts Plastic CA around Driver , Accel 10 - 15 w/HTMs , Top Speed 120 - 100 w/HTMs , HC 3 , 5,427 lbs , $ 14,498 .

Extra Defence Option: Replace rear HR w/ 10pts CA around Power Plant , Remove 2pts Armor - 5,429 lbs , $ 14,558 .

Bombardier 2059 Rocket: Replace ATG , Mag. and Mag. Switch w/ 2 linked RLs w/ AP Ammo F ( SWC to RL link ) , Add 38pts of Armor - F 45 , R 40 , L 40 , B 26 , T 12 , U 12 , 5,429 lbs , $ 14,475 .

Always liked the idea of the orginal Bombardier - pity the tech then just wasn't up to making the design survivable ! Of course it 'should' of been a Sedan from the start with all those empty spaces left over ...
This one has good speed and firepower for short Road Duels , but lacks in Arena 'slugging matches .
Old 05-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #149
Bierwulf

Quote:
Bolded section :

Proof that the Author has some common sense.

I was once tempted to try them in a design but swore them off the night I accidentally got a kill out of what should have been a fairly innocuous head-on collision. 10 dice turned into 20 and the dude with the big-ass laser was dead, much to my surprise.
Bierwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #150
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierwulf View Post
I was once tempted to try them in a design but swore them off the night I accidentally got a kill out of what should have been a fairly innocuous head-on collision. 10 dice turned into 20 and the dude with the big-ass laser was dead, much to my surprise.
The best ways I've found to use CA Frames is to design two or more designs that look the same , and have one or more be an Anti Ram design with Roll Cage etc - and give the one with the CA the big guns . Another way is to hit any potential rammers with nasty drop weapons : during one game I watched , a Pick-Up mounting a Ram Plate was totally put off going anywhere near a CA framed Van by TDX Mines , Flame Cloud Gas Streamers and a turreted Spike Gun/HMG combo ( Gunner to Spike Gun , Driver to HMG ) ! Rather nasty if you've only got PR or SBPR Radials !

Since Ram Plate damage was dropped down to 1d+2/1d-1 , I've seen a marked decline in dedicated Ram Cars . In Divisions 30-40 and above they make a reasonable option . On the Road however , it's best on those designs that normally only ever go up light vehicles and Peds . A Road Bike with a CA Frames is okay , as any ram at 55mph+ is likely to kill it anyway .