Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Jadefire

Default Ordering effects in Munchkin Classic

I'm looking for an official ruling as to when players can play cards. The ordering of when players can announce that they want to make a play and in which order is not explained clearly in the rules.

My opponent who is a level 9 Cleric has just played a Wand of Dousing with Divine Intervention in the discard pile. Assuming that the Wand is instantaneous and must completely finish taking effect before anyone (even the person who played it) can play another effect, is there any time to play a Duck of Doom or any level lowering effect before the Divine Intervention gets played and the game ends?

We've been handling most situations on a first come first served basis, meaning that whoever can announce their play first gets to make their play even if the active player had multiple successive plays that they could've chained together. In the event of Wand of Dousing for Divine Intervention, since the Divine Intervention stipulates that it must be played immediately, we've treated this as an exception to the rule so that it is a mandatory immediate play following the Wand of Dousing with no room to squeeze in any other effects in between.

Bonus question: Is the assumption that effects must completely finish before other plays can be announced correct? i.e. could I have Duck of Doomed my opponent while she was looking through the discards for Wand of Dousing because that would add a card to the discards for her to choose from and potentially change the card that she would take.
Jadefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
StormCrow42

Default Re: Ordering effects in Munchkin Classic

Unlike certain "other" card games, there is no "stack" in Munchkin. With only a few exceptions which are clearly called out in the cards that have them (annihilation, wishing ring, etc.) cards must be fully resolved before the next card is played.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Jadefire

So then given that effects must fully resolve, how do you determine who gets to play first when more than one player wants to do something at the same time? In the scenario with a level 9 Cleric using Wand of Dousing to get a Divine Intervention is there any opportunity to play any level lowering effects before the Intervention gets played?

Does the answer change depending on whose turn it is and whether or not the player whose turn it is has multiple plays?
Old 01-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Blazinjsin

Cards resolve in the order they hit the table

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Jadefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazinjsin View Post
Cards resolve in the order they hit the table
So does that mean it's a free-for-all and whoever can cause their card to "hit the table" first gets to make their play (i.e. fastest reflexes wins)?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefire View Post
So does that mean it's a free-for-all and whoever can cause their card to "hit the table" first gets to make their play (i.e. fastest reflexes wins)?
Yes. Although it's not just reflexes as you need the brain power to realise there's a card you wish to play at that time too.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
Jadefire

Thanks for the help, this clears things up.