Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #1
azurecobalt

Default Shedim hosts and dreams...

Is it possible to enter the dreamscape of the current victim of a Shedim's resonance? It says in the rules, "While possessed, the host consciousness floats in a serene, dreamlike state..." Dreamlike isn't the same as a dream, obviously, but what if an angel with the Corporeal Song of Dreams wanted to get information on the Shedite - could the angel find the host's dream?
azurecobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:12 AM   #2
Whitelaughter

Default Re: Shedim hosts and dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurecobalt View Post
Is it possible to enter the dreamscape of the current victim of a Shedim's resonance? It says in the rules, "While possessed, the host consciousness floats in a serene, dreamlike state..." Dreamlike isn't the same as a dream, obviously, but what if an angel with the Corporeal Song of Dreams wanted to get information on the Shedite - could the angel find the host's dream?
The host still needs to sleep, with the Shedite inhabiting the dreamscape*, so:
- while the host is awake, probably not, but
- while asleep, using CorDreams to enter the dreamscape and thump the Shedite is definitely an option.

*sorry, can't remember where this is and can't currently check.
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:24 PM   #3
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

I suspect this is either in the EPG or the IPG, with a side-possibility of the FAQ.

*reboots other computer, which is old and clunky and cries at all the tabs I keep open in Safari*

Okay, GURPS In Nomine was the first one in the Recently Opened list, so I opened it. On p. 72 in the box: hosts do not need to sleep while the Shedite is running the show, but hosts get cumulative Will bonuses for each day that the Shedite is calling the shots until the Shedite allows the host to have at least 8 hours of sleep. Then the human's mind has to fight off Shedite clouds again...

"While the host mind is in the Marches, the Shedite will accompany it there automatically, where it can amuse itself by warping the host's dreams." (Presumably not too much, though -- wake the host up too early via nightmares, and they still have a bonus to resist.)

Core rules (also in the Recently Opened list) don't have the dreamscape bit, so I'm sure we were cribbing from something there, to keep the information all in one place as much as possible. (There's a reason GIN is fatter than IN, and with slightly smaller fonts, too!)

*digs up the EPG* Okay, not in the EPG. ...why isn't the IPG on that computer? ...not in the IPG? Huh. CPG? Nope...

OKAY! It's in the FAQ.
http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/faq...ons-shedim-006 (Scroll down a little to "What happens when a Shedite falls asleep while possessing a host?")

It's possible that it's somewhere in The Marches as well, but my eyes are acting up, so I'm not going to open that file just now.

Edit: Might also be mentioned in Superiors 3: Hope and Prophecy, since Dreamscapes are addressed there at least a little.

--Beth, Archangel of Archives

Last edited by Archangel Beth; 08-30-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Archangel Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
azurecobalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
*reboots other computer, which is old and clunky and cries at all the tabs I keep open in Safari*
Wow, thank you for the very thorough answer, Archangel Beth! It sounds like your computer isn't a kyriotate...

I was hoping to have justification to run a session of infiltrating the impudite's host to get secrets on the impudite in a mind-heist scenario influenced (*cough*stolen*cough*) from Inception. I ran the session last night and it was a big hit! The shade of the Impudite that kept harassing them in the dreamscape was a lot of fun, too!

Thanks again!
azurecobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Belatedly, glad to help!

(Been doing much canvassing and whatnot, with my offspring, and it takes a lot of energy and time.)
Old 09-14-2018, 11:07 PM   #6
Whitelaughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
GURPS In Nomine [snip] p. 72 in the box: hosts do not need to sleep while the Shedite is running the show,
Embarrassing to think I've been running that wrong for twenty years!
Jut as well Shedim aren't popular!
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:40 AM   #7
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

*waves a hand vaguely* Bah, it was obviously unclear, as it required a FAQ entry. So long as a GM is consistent and the players aren't upset, doing whatever works is axiomatically fine.