Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-26-2019, 02:42 AM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default Questions about Clinging

I'm trying to build a version of Clinging to simulate a speedster's ability to run on walls. I'm having a few questions.

First, the description of the Attraction enhancement in Powers seems to contradict the description of Clinging in the Basic Set. Powers says that Attraction is necessary to walk on walls/ceilings and that unmodified Clinging requires crawling, but the Basic Set says you can walk or crawl on walls and ceilings without any particular modification, so which is it?

Enhanced Move adds to the speed you can move while "clinging", right? It does have Second-Nature, if that matters.

What would be a reasonable value for not being able to try to catch yourself on a wall? Or maybe more generally, just not being able to use your hands, since speedsters don't actually have the ability to cling. I feel like this definitely should be s separate limitation from Only while moving.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #2
naloth

Default Re: Questions about Clinging

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
First, the description of the Attraction enhancement in Powers seems to contradict the description of Clinging in the Basic Set. Powers says that Attraction is necessary to walk on walls/ceilings and that unmodified Clinging requires crawling, but the Basic Set says you can walk or crawl on walls and ceilings without any particular modification, so which is it?
Attraction allows you to cling with any part of your body. I'd say "feet only" fits within the original description. You are limited to half move.

Quote:
Enhanced Move adds to the speed you can move while "clinging", right? It does have Second-Nature, if that matters.
I suspect that technically this would be a "no" because while your speed is based on your move, it's more of a specialized move. I'd allow it, but it's probably not RAW.

Quote:
What would be a reasonable value for not being able to try to catch yourself on a wall? Or maybe more generally, just not being able to use your hands, since speedsters don't actually have the ability to cling. I feel like this definitely should be s separate limitation from Only while moving.
It's less than All-Out and if you already have to keep moving, it's not much more of a limitation. Besides, speedsters can usually carry/pick up things while running up a building. The Flash has rescued quite a few people that way.

When you get into this type of speedster, you're better off using "Flight, requires surface -20%". Benefits: Flight Move starts at Basic Speed x 2 and only costs 2/lvl to increase. Enhanced Move multiples that. "Requires Surface" allows you to do Speedster tricks like running across water, flimsy surfaces, jumping between buildings (5 actions of move), and running up buildings. Basing it off Flight is just a PV/mechanics thing. You can still call it super running.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Questions about Clinging

It also allows water movement at one-half Air Move. Low ceiling (5 feet), -25% would fit with that design as well.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote