Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-29-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
tcabril

Default Sniper Rifles?

I am still getting the hang of GURPS but I am curious as to why I can't find sniper rifles? I have the basic set and High-Tech and can't even find a reference in the index...

I would love to see the Walther WA 2000 stated out but nope not there - can I get any assistance or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks!

TC
tcabril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #2
John_A_Tallon

Default Re: Sniper Rifles?

The sniper rifles are listed in High Tech among the regular rifle entries. The Accuracy International AW is the most common TL8 example, on page 118, but there are others that have good range and sufficient accuracy.

The WA 2000 was a pretty rare gun, but Frosty did take a stab at statting it up in GURPS in this thread: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=83830
John_A_Tallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcabril View Post
I am still getting the hang of GURPS but I am curious as to why I can't find sniper rifles?
There's a sniper rifle in Basic - p. B279 for the stats, listed as "Sniper Rifle, .338".

You're probably not seeing things titled that in High-Tech because they prefer to use the real-world names of weapons there, and I don't think many weapons are officially named "Sniper Rifle". But there are several examples of rifles in High-Tech that are noted as being used by snipers. The Enfield SMLE Mk III, for example, is noted as having a sniper rifle variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcabril
I would love to see the Walther WA 2000 stated out but nope not there - can I get any assistance or am I looking in the wrong place?
I'm no gun bunny, but there are plenty of that particular sub-species around on the boards. I suspect someone will be along soon enough to provide something. :-)
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
There's a sniper rifle in Basic - p. B279 for the stats, listed as "Sniper Rifle, .338".

I'm no gun bunny, but there are plenty of that particular sub-species around on the boards. I suspect someone will be along soon enough to provide something. :-)
The Walther wouldn't be very distinctive. It'd just be another 7.62 (I think) with ACC 6 (Fine).

In terms of serious sniper rifles there are many in HT and a Cheytac .410 in Tactical Shooting.

However, in Gurps most of the sniper magic will be in the sniper and not his gear. Another reason to go to Tactical Shooting and look at the Precision Aiming Technique.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcabril View Post
I am still getting the hang of GURPS but I am curious as to why I can't find sniper rifles? I have the basic set and High-Tech and can't even find a reference in the index...

Thanks!

TC
Barrett M82A1 is a nice sniper rifle! =)
Old 05-29-2018, 10:12 PM   #6
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Another reason to go to Tactical Shooting and look at the Precision Aiming Technique.
Yes, if I remember correctly, there is a comprehensive example in Tactical Shooting that clarifies much of the complexity that you can tease out of a sniper scenario.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:12 PM   #7
Rupert

Quote:
The Walther wouldn't be very distinctive. It'd just be another 7.62 (I think) with ACC 6 (Fine).

In terms of serious sniper rifles there are many in HT and a Cheytac .410 in Tactical Shooting.

However, in Gurps most of the sniper magic will be in the sniper and not his gear. Another reason to go to Tactical Shooting and look at the Precision Aiming Technique.
That's also in High-Tech. It's also, in my opinion, not really necessary to reflect most sniping and other long-range shooting.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:20 PM   #8
RyanW

Quote:
The usual chambering is .300 WM, which should given similar performance to the FN BAR Magnum. The differences would be Wt. 17.4/2.1 (not including scope), Shots 6+1, Acc 6+3, Bulk -5, and probably Rcl 3 due to the extra weight (maybe even Rcl 2, as it had a reputation for very limited muzzle rise). And of course, cost. You could probably buy a house for what one would cost today.

It's also the kind of weapon whose cinematic users would generally be expected to have the Weapon Bond perk.

Last edited by RyanW; 05-29-2018 at 11:24 PM.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
The usual chambering is .300 WM, which should given similar performance to the FN BAR Magnum. The differences would be Wt. 17.4/2.1 (not including scope), Shots 6+1, Acc 6+3, Bulk -5, and probably Rcl 3 due to the extra weight (maybe even Rcl 2, as it had a reputation for very limited muzzle rise). And of course, cost. You could probably buy a house for what one would cost today.

It's also the kind of weapon whose cinematic users would generally be expected to have the Weapon Bond perk.
Ah yes. I remebr the caliber now. I first saw the name in a James Bond equipment book based on the rifle being issued to Bond in....oh drat. it was one of those rather dull Dalton Bond's.

(goes to IMDb)

The Living Daylights.

Anyway, for Bond you go to Gun Fu rather than Tactical Shooting and your template is Ultimate Shootist rather than Sniper.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:06 PM   #10
acrosome

First, the WA2000 is actually not that interesting of a sniper rifle. It is notable primarily for it's rarity, but it was far too heavy, delicate, and most importantly hellishly expensive for it's role. The bullpup thing was neat, and it gets kudos for being among the first to use .300WM, but that's about it.

Second, proposing that GURPS neglects sniper rifles boggles my mind. But most sniper rifles are listed as variants of other rifles, in the descriptions rather than having their own separate entries, so I guess that's forgivable. So read the descriptions.

Specifically named sniper rifles include but are not limited to:

Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 PU sniper variant (HT111), WWII era.
Springfield M1903A4 (HT112), WWII era.
Enfield L42A1 (HT112), Cold War era.
Springfield M1C Garand (HT113), WWII era.
Winchester M3 Carbine (HT113). Well, sort of. Late WWII, early Cold War.
Springfield M21 (HT115), Vietnam War era.
RTE M14 Designated Marksman Rifle (HT115). Sort of. Modern era.
Remington M40 (HT116), Cold War to modern era.
Remington M24 (HT116), Cold War to modern era.
Izhmash SVD (HT116), Cold War to modern era.
H&K PSG1 (HT116), Cold War era.
Galil SR (HT117), Cold War to modern era.
Barrett M82 (HT118), Cold War to modern era.
Barrett M82A1 (HT118), Cold War to modern era.
Barrett M107 (HT118), modern era.
Accuracy International AW (HT117), modern era.
Accuracy International AWM (HT117), modern era. Our British friends call this the L115A3.
Accuracy International AWM-F (HT117), modern era.
FN Mk 16 MOD 0 Sniper (HT121), modern era.
FN Mk 17 MOD 0 SV (HT122), modern era.
TOZ SVT-40 Sniper (TS60), WWII era.
KAC Mk 11 MOD 0 Sniper Rifle System (TS63), modern era.
KAN M110 Sniper Rifle System (TS63), modern era.
CheyTac M200 Intervention (TS63), modern era.
Whitworth Rifle (AG26), 19th century.
Sharps M1859 Sharpshooters Rifle (AG27), 19th century.
Arisaka Meiji 38 sniper variant (PG9), WWII era.
Winchester Model 54 Sniper (PG13), interwar era.
"Sniper Rifle" .338 (B279), though it is presumably a "generic" version of the Accuracy International AWM above, so modern era.

Notes:
B= GURPS Basic Set
HT= GURPS High Tech
TS = GURPS Tactical Shooting
AG= GRUPS High Tech Adventure Guns
PG= GURPS High Tech Pulp Guns Volume 2

Others not specifically named but easily derived include:

An accurized +1Acc Springfield M1903 (HT112) with a scope is a WWI era sniper rifle. Same for the Mauser Gew98 (HT111), Mauser Karabiner 98b (PG6) and SMLE Mk I (HT112).

An accurized +1Acc Mauser 98k (HT111) with a scope is a WWII-era sniper rifle. Same for the Arisaka 99, SMLE Mk III, and Enfield No.4 Mk 1 (all HT112).

An accurized +1Acc Winchester Model 70 (HT113) with a scope is a WWII, Cold War, and Vietnam War era sniper rifle, beloved by Carlos Hathcock himself. Either .30-06 or .308 are historically accurate.

In addition to the M40 and M24 there are many other modern sniper rifles based on an accurized +1Acc Remington Model 700 (HT116).

Arguably, the Remington No. 1 Rolling Block Long Range Creedmor (AG28) could serve as another 19th century example, as could the Sharps M1874 Long Range (AG31). But they're more like target rifles. Fragile sights.

There are many others. I haven't touched upon French or Italian sniper variants from WWII, for example, since I can't quote those off the top of my head. And the British pressed any number of sporting rifles and elephant guns into service as sniper rifles in WWI, the latter to penetrate German steel sniper shields.

Last edited by acrosome; 05-30-2018 at 09:25 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote