Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 03:29 AM   #121
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Car Wars Sixth Edition

And another painted miniature:

https://twitter.com/SJGames/status/1184985231759204352
Old 10-18-2019, 07:46 AM   #122
Misplaced Buckeye

Hey Phil if you haven't complete the KS stretch goals for this how about this for supporters of the core game; After KS completion a pdf of the rules and a set of the dice sent out in advance for those of us that have the Car wars originals so we can play ans learn the new concepts while awaiting the beautiful game you're creating? Only 1 set and only for the supporters of a full game.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #123
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam_bucky View Post
Questions about this new version.

Will a version of the rules be available for us to see when the kickstarter starts?
If i am gonna sink a few hundred it would be great to read basic rules first.

How much space do I need on my table minimum? (or what would you recommend for a a 4 play game? 4ft by 4 ft? , 3ft x 3ft ?)

Thanks in advance.
From what was played at Fnordcon, cars could move between 1 and 5 car lengths per turn. We played on mats that were roughly 3 foot square (that was at 2x classic scale rather than the 3x that 6E will ultimately use). This would translate to 4.5 feet square.

What follows is my take (and not some official word):
It's probably fine to use whatever space you have available. I'd probably guess that a bare minimum is around one and a half turns of maximum movement by two turns maximum movement - say 2 x 2.5 feet at the scale being used. Keep in mind that even Harshman was only 16" x 21" at Classic scale - you could, at high speeds cross that in a comparable number of turns. Movement is capped lower relative to car size in 6E.

Different strategies will play better at different sized playing space though.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!

Last edited by Magesmiley; 10-18-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #124
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
Hey Phil if you haven't complete the KS stretch goals for this how about this for supporters of the core game; After KS completion a pdf of the rules and a set of the dice sent out in advance for those of us that have the Car wars originals so we can play ans learn the new concepts while awaiting the beautiful game you're creating? Only 1 set and only for the supporters of a full game.
Unfortunately, that would not be an option. The game requires the components; we have to wait until everything is complete before we start shipping the project. Having just the rules and dice won't allow anyone to play the game. The turning key, bases, dashboards, cards, and counters are all vital to play.

Not to mention, postage costs continue to climb. Splitting this into multiple shipments would force us to charge more for shipping. And the box is already heavy enough without intentionally increasing the delivery costs.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #125
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Posted today:

* Autoduel Weekly: Vehicle Build Points - http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/O...e_Build_Points
About how long does it take to design a car? The friends I have in mind aren't the kind of folks who want to spend much time designing (unless the game hooks their imagination, perhaps, in which case I see them showing up to future games with nifty designs to try).

In a similar vein, will there be a at least a few ready-to-go designs that we can play with straight away (no design time for that first game)?
Quote:
You're taunting me with these images. I know you're not going to included painted miniatures in the Kickstarter project, but I see these images....

I hope you'll gather them all together (preferably with multiple views of each one) on a web page somewhere. Then I'll pay my mini-painting friend to do up mine the same way. :)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Old 10-18-2019, 08:25 PM   #126
philreed
I do stuff and things.

It takes me about three to four minutes to design a car. Others spend as many as ten minutes on car design.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:27 PM   #127
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
It takes me about three to four minutes to design a car. Others spend as many as ten minutes on car design.
Not having to pull out a spreadsheet to make sure I've got my armor cost and weight correct will, frankly, be a relief. I don't have that kind of time any more.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Old 10-19-2019, 09:57 PM   #128
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
About how long does it take to design a car?
Well, at FnordCon, I put together a design in about sixteen seconds.... (Twenty-five, if one includes the time required to think it up.) :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #129
Whitestreak

Yep, it looks like the ability to design a car quickly, without resorting to a spreadsheet makes this whole direction w winner in my opinion.

The simpler the car creation process, the more time for the fun of gaming.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #130
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestreak View Post
The simpler the car creation process, the more time for the fun of gaming.
That is our thinking. More time playing the game with friends is way better than time spent with spreadsheets. More vroom! More bang!
Closed Thread