Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2020, 09:13 PM   #31
kirbwarrior

Default Re: What's a reasonable price for Weapon Master (two unrelated weapons)?

On the note of costing a perk for two weapons not used together, that does sound like a cheap UB and is effectively such. Having WM with two weapons that you normally can't is effectively UB territory. Personally I'm just going to use that from now on in situations it matters.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:08 AM   #32
Plane

Default Re: What's a reasonable price for Weapon Master (two unrelated weapons)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Game-mechanically, if you have more than four weapon skills, it's cheaper to increase DX.
That won't help you in ST-based rolls against your weapon skill though :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
On the note of costing a perk for two weapons not used together, that does sound like a cheap UB and is effectively such. Having WM with two weapons that you normally can't is effectively UB territory. Personally I'm just going to use that from now on in situations it matters.
UB has variable costs. Rather than trying to figure out what it is, I think it would make more sense just to use Alternative Abilities.

Basically any two one-handed weapons could normally be used together, so you wouldn't even need AA.

Bow+Sword is what we're talking about. You normally can't use them simultaneously so there's no need to have a Weapon Master active on both at the same time unless you're a 4-handed creature.

I think the idea of buying "Reduced Time +20%" on both Alternative Abilities to represent "switching between them takes a Free Action, not a Ready" seems pretty reasonable.

Probably overpriced since you are not reducing a core use of the abilities, just the time to swap. For example, changing Alternative Attacks (free action by default) to requiring a Ready seems to just be worth -5% per "Ammunition Options" (Power-Ups 4 pg 18)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:54 PM   #33
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Bow+Sword is what we're talking about. You normally can't use them simultaneously so there's no need to have a Weapon Master active on both at the same time unless you're a 4-handed creature.
I don't think such a combo should get the full price reduction for the second weapon, because while you won't use them at the same time, they don't have a huge overlap in 'use envelopes'.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:31 AM   #34
Plane

The higher price for weapons not normally used together implies that you CAN use them together, unless OP is a 4-armed creature, why would he bother?
Old 02-19-2020, 05:55 AM   #35
Aldric

I really don't think this is what Alternate Abilities are for, unless maybe Weapon Master was granted by a magical sword that could also change shape into a bow, in which case it would just be part of the package.
I can't see a character that's a Master of the Sword OR the Bow, requiring conscious though (if not an action) to switch mastery.

In short, as I've said before, I'd point the player that camenup with this idea towards the 30 point level.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:05 AM   #36
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
I really don't think this is what Alternate Abilities are for, unless maybe Weapon Master was granted by a magical sword that could also change shape into a bow, in which case it would just be part of the package.
I can't see a character that's a Master of the Sword OR the Bow, requiring conscious though (if not an action) to switch mastery.

In short, as I've said before, I'd point the player that camenup with this idea towards the 30 point level.
Getting rid of the switch bring the AA cost to 29 or 30, depending on the method.
So, [30] is perfectly legitimate.

It is clearly better than 1 weapon [20]
It is arguably better than 2 weapon used together [25] (greater range of situation, for example one melee and one ranged weapon)
It does consist of a (very) small class of weapon [30]

Myself, I would rule [25] (or maybe [25+1] with a rules exemption perk), but [30] is probably the fairest answer.

Last edited by Celjabba; 02-19-2020 at 06:15 AM.
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:23 AM   #37
Kalzazz

I admit I always felt two weapons used together was perfect and meant for cases like a samurai katana and bow or an elf sword and bow or a Native American braves tomahawk and bow

So I'd happilly allow 'longsword and bow' for 25

For 30 I'd allow a bigger group 'Samurai Weapons' 'Elven Weapons' 'Brave Weapons'
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #38
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
(...) So what would a reasonable price be for two unrelated weapons, say bastard sword and composite bow? (...)
Perhaps the easiest solution would be buying the "extended" weapon master for 30 points. This version shall give your character extra room to master additional weapons in the future.

If you have an issue with CP, then you should buy a perk level unusual background "master in two unrelated weapons", which as a GM I would charge for 1 CP, the final investment being 26 CP.

If you limit the amount of perks a character can buy during creation and development, then the cost is even more fair. Something like: "Should you sacrifice a perk or should you spend more CP?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I admit I always felt two weapons used together was perfect and meant for cases like a samurai katana and bow or an elf sword and bow or a Native American braves tomahawk and bow (...)
I like your idea. However, it is different. These warriors train in both weapons, but they don't use them together. To make it more evident, you don't shoot the bow while holding the tomahawk; when you fight, it's only one of these, in contrast with sword & shield or rapier & main-gauche.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:27 PM   #39
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
UB has variable costs. Rather than trying to figure out what it is, I think it would make more sense just to use Alternative Abilities.
Ignoring how weird using two WMs as AAs is, UB is easy to cost in this situation. It's at least as good as the 25pt version, and probably worse than the 30pt version, so;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Myself, I would rule [25] (or maybe [25+1] with a rules exemption perk), but [30] is probably the fairest answer.
Thanks, I forgot the perk version of UB is "rules exemption perk". And this seems like the perfect place for such a perk.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:43 PM   #40
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
how weird using two WMs as AAs is
Why would it be weird? Consider them shifting a mental focus between their mastery in 2 things.

Tags
alternate abilities, ammunition options