Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
Refplace

Default Fire in the Temple is out!

The link is here https://thefantasytrip.game/products...in-the-temple/
I think this is the forst adventure since the printed Legacy Edition shipped.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Fire in the Temple is out!

Does the released version fix the bug of firearms without fire sources to light the fuses?

"To maintain a single sentry on night guard duty with a matchlock, keeping both ends of his match lit, required a mile of match per year." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matchlock

And can a Fire spell light all of the target's fuses at once?

Last edited by hcobb; 05-02-2019 at 12:36 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #3
FireHorse

Wasn't this already out? I downloaded it from a link in a W23 email, back near the end of February (according to the file date on my PDF).
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
Wasn't this already out? I downloaded it from a link in a W23 email, back near the end of February (according to the file date on my PDF).
PDFs backers got access early. It is now in wide PDF release and anyone can buy it.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #5
RVA_Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
Yes. Those of us that did the kickstarter have already gotten the PDF. This is the announcement for the general public to purchase it at W23.
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:14 PM   #6
FireHorse

Ah, sorry. I didn't know the Public Release had a different date.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:01 AM   #7
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Does the released version fix the bug of firearms without fire sources to light the fuses?

"To maintain a single sentry on night guard duty with a matchlock, keeping both ends of his match lit, required a mile of match per year." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matchlock

And can a Fire spell light all of the target's fuses at once?
I can't comment officially, as no one ever contacted me regarding any playtest issues raised regarding this. But I don't think it's a bug - or rather, TFT isn't GURPS, and since there's no specific equipment requirement specified for the TFT firearms, and no seperate gear listing for match, tinderboxes, etc., TFT seems to assume that all necessary accessories (ramming sticks, matches, tinderboxes, priming powder, wadding, etc.) are assumed with the weight of the weapon or its ammunition. This seems to fit the philosophy of TFT: we don't go around asking "how do people ever carry their swords without dropping them, since no scabbards are mentioned" after all. This is especially true of NPCs, since by design (and writer guidelines!) their equipment writeups are supposed to be abbreviated to list mainly weapons and treasure - even if matches et al were available all the mundane gear that a player characters may carry (labyrinth kits, etc.) are supposed to be routinely omitted from the character sheets of the average NPC grunt.

Fire spell effects - I imagine if a GM is concerned, you'd use whatever house rules you already apply to molotails ("very flammable oil"), to set fire to bow strings and wizard's scrolls, and so on. All of which may or may not be vulnerable to a big hex of raging Fire, or perhaps the fire is somewhat more diffuse, since we don't have a standard rule in the book saying such things automatically go up in flames... I'd be reluctant to put new revisions of core rules of general application in a specific adventure, though, especially one as short as this one! Anything of this nature should go in Fire as a Weapon in the ITL rules.

Last edited by David L Pulver; 05-03-2019 at 12:09 AM.
David L Pulver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:10 AM   #8
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA_Grandpa View Post
Yes. Those of us that did the kickstarter have already gotten the PDF. This is the announcement for the general public to purchase it at W23.
If anyone liked it, let me know...
Old 05-03-2019, 12:44 AM   #9
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
If anyone liked it, let me know...
I've only played it 1.5 times (got interrupted the second time and didn't get back to it yet), but I LOVE it! But then, I've liked your work ever since the old days... ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:42 AM   #10
hcobb

Does the Alertness "spot ambush" roll include these items from the wiki article?

"At night, the match would glow in the darkness, possibly revealing the carrier's position. The distinctive smell of burning match-cord was also a giveaway of a musketeer's position (this was used as a plot device by Akira Kurosawa in his movie Seven Samurai)."