Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-10-2019, 12:32 AM   #31
Skarg

Default Re: Wat! no XP for hurting people and breaking things??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hill View Post
do you mean 1 xp for hits healed, for the physiker? or points for getting stabbed?
Well points when you survive and recover from getting stabbed... the physicker gets the XP for wounds he heals, and the wounded get points for damage they heal through resting. Huh, I don't see it in ITL or Grail Quest, but I'm pretty sure I read it rather than invented it.

Quote:
our house rule was 5 xp per hit healed, to the medic, more for a revival (there was rules for reviving recently 'dead' guys in an old Interplay via medical resuscitation) .. is there now an official rule?
The new rule is once your ST falls to -1 or less, you have an hour to somehow get it back to 0 or more, or you die.

(There was another version of that which some of us liked, but that didn't make it in the final draft, which said you also died if you hit -5 or more.)

Quote:
gee magic items xp .. I guess governor tarkin would have leveled up quite a lot blowing up alderan, what 20 billion ppl or so?
That's why you need to use something like my system, where the Death Star Tarkin used gave him an astronomical Threat Value, which reduced XP gained for easily killing people with it to zero.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:08 AM   #32
mark hill

we used a setup where a 'dead' guy had to be revived in 5 mins or it was too late .. how heavy they were into the negative counted as a penalty on the medic's roll

so if I shot tarkin in the head at the vital minit, just before he blew up alderan, Id get like 5,000,000 TAP points to distribute?

then only kryptonite tipped arrows could hurt me :)

AND I could punch the death star in half :)

"hey Lois .. betcha wondering who this mysterious superman could be .. arentcha? isnt it just burning you up deep down?"

**** OFF clark Im trying to work here"

Last edited by mark hill; 04-10-2019 at 01:21 AM.
mark hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #33
Skarg

Heh. Well really, Tarkin is like ST 9 DX 10 and unarmed, and your gun and the situation put your XP gains near zero again.

Really it's the guy who torpedoes the exhaust port who gets all the XP...

... but even then, the threat value would be about the situation he faced, not the situation victim planets were facing. It's about estimating the difficulty of the situation faced, so it'd be about the TIE fighters he faced, surviving Vader (though he seemed to have help with The Force for that), and the trench and gun towers, and the difficulty to hit the exhaust port (which again, he seemed to have Force help with) and then Hand and Chewie showed up to s̶t̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶X̶P̶ assist him... so really it would be the same XP for shooting one of those Womp Rats back home in Beggar's Canyon, if the Womp Rat had been ray-shielded, guarded by TIE fighters, etc... ;-)
Old 04-10-2019, 02:27 PM   #34
mark hill

seems to me that luke starts from dumbass farmboy, unable to handle the 2 drunk idiots in the bar, then fires that torpedo, then he gets enuf powers to beat the crap outta GALACTUS .. seems it does work that way in a galaxy far far away :)

and tarkin I rekon might be IQ 20+ .. its cushing, no dumbass :) dont forget how many times tarkin took out frankenstein's monster, (or was he actually dr frankenstein? I forget) innumerable werewolves and vampires, burned a bunch of pretty young girls alive .. erm witches I mean, and dracula himself several times (or 3 or 4 dracula clones on different occasions)

Last edited by mark hill; 04-10-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:37 PM   #35
Skarg

Yes, but IQ 20 doesn't increase his threat value for your "gun at head" scenario unless he knows spells or something useful to defend himself in that situation. In practice, Tarkin would have Strategy and use his IQ to ensure there were many loyal guards between him and anyone inclined to do him harm. Which worked until he failed the roll(s) about considering exhaust ports...
Old 04-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #36
mark hill

probably its one of those 'loyal guards' doing the shooting

"I didnt join up to watch this megalomaniac blow up a frakkin sector capital just to intimidate a legally elected senator!!" (draws gun)