Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-03-2019, 11:31 PM   #1
mark hill

Default Wat! no XP for hurting people and breaking things??

This is a major departure from old TFT .. you used to get exactly the XP for hits put on an enemy, (before armour subtraction), plus their DX in XP if you put in the death blow ('dude, you keep stealing my kills and Ima gonna frikkin stab ya!') making these bloody minded primitives press the attack, even sometimes at great stupid personal risk to themselves .. like a real fight, ya know?

Im not saying dont give XP for roleplaying, cleverness, cracking a funny or saving the day .. but please consider, the mentality of the samurai or roman or viking or amazon or aztec or merc scum or just plain orc-racist dwarf types (or dwarf-racist orc types as the case may be) that work for the red-handed, ruthless (yet utterly pragmatic) Thorz .. who hunt bounties for more than mere gold .. who collect gargoyle gallbladders cause they HATE those horny headed bastids .. for those who pray to MARS or TYR or DYAREELA or TEZCATLIPOCAS or POSEIDON EARTHSHAKER or MIGHTY CTHULOOOO and love the clash of bloody arms for its OWN sake. The severed heads, arms and legs, the cold, stoney-hearted coup de gras and corpse looting, the lamentation of their women and loved ones driven into slavery, cold winter, starvation, destruction and exile ..

something that really was the reason I loved TFT back in the 70s and have GMed it for 40+ years. Something that TFT did waaaay better than any other game Ive EVER seen. Dont let Fearful Mars starve. Just DONT. WHO"S WITH ME?? IN THE NAME OF THE BLOODY BLOOD GODS, WHO'S BLOOOODY WITH MEEEEEE?????

ok thats my 2 sestersii .. Ill get off of the rostra now .. now tell me Im way outta touch with modern trends in RPGs lol

Last edited by mark hill; 04-03-2019 at 11:52 PM.
mark hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:59 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Wat! no XP for hurting people and breaking things??

Yeah, TFT will to me always be the game where player characters raced their comrades to get to the enemy first to get more experience!

The new ITL rules do say GMs are free to give XP as they see fit, which would include using the old rules, or anything they come up with.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:03 AM   #3
mark hill

damn right .. even when it was a really stoopid idea lol
Old 04-04-2019, 01:09 AM   #4
JLV

Frankly, I use the old XP generation rules as the main source of XPs, and the new ones to provide a few extra XP to deserving players who are pulling their weight in other ways (NOT, I might add, for "bringing pizza to the game").

So, in that sense, I appreciate the new rules for allowing increased flexibility (not that I didn't already do something similar years ago, but you'd be amazed at the amount of argument something like that can cause sometimes), but wish they'd ALSO included the old rules to give a more complete structure to the process...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:35 AM   #5
Chris Rice

I've never really used experience points in any system I've run; they just seem too artificial to me. Still, as I'm planning to play TFT Legacy RAW and more as a "game" I may give them a try this time. But I'll go with the old school "Kill for Skill" rules.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:13 AM   #6
ColBosch

Kill XP was one of stupidest, laziest rules from D&D. The entire concept breaks my suspension of disbelief on the level of heroes battling by throwing Lego bricks at each other (the Lego movies excepted, of course). I'll give XP for surviving combat, but not for deathblows. I'm glad it was axed for the new edition of TFT.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:15 AM   #7
mark hill

LOL! while the magic system, gargoyles, walking corpses and hobbits is all cool right?

not to mention no difference between males and females on the battlefield .. egalitarian, inclusive, and damn fantastic, sure, but hardly supported by historical example, and still segregated in the modern olympic combat sports .. naturally. we ignore in our games that males come pre-programmed with attitudes that would make them stupidly jump in front of the lion while the females escape with the vital reproductive systems. because they boys are, frankly, the expendable ones during a threat situation .. we would not ignore this studying any other species, but we're blind to it in ourselves, even after the record breaking horrors of the 20th century

what would those iron hearted romans say of our olympic sex-segregation, compared to their sports events (probably, "they're all slaves, foreigners and convicted criminals by Concorde, why do you even care?")

given how our more violent kin behave in the history books, with their gleeful lust for killing, shared seemingly by 90% or so of ancient cultures, I actually find it extremely realistic .. relatively speaking

I mean, we've already swallowed that cracking a joke or doing a good turn increases muscle mass and speed, makes one more resistant to damage, and can give one the ability to summon wolves out of thin air .. and because our myths are not full of "so Herakles went home and did 200 pushups a day for a year" lol .. no, he killed huge impossible chaos monsters, stole magic items from his slain enemies (and did many other terrible things Id be banned from this forum for even mentioning) and whatnot

Last edited by mark hill; 04-04-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:50 AM   #8
oldwolf

If you are the game master, award XP as you see fit.
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:26 AM   #9
hcobb

The listed rates of job promotions work if each job roll grants 2 XP.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #10
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwolf View Post
If you are the game master, award XP as you see fit.
This 1000 times.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote