Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #21
Anthony

Default Re: What's a reasonable price for Weapon Master (two unrelated weapons)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
But Weapon Master is not an attack, and you need a ready maneuver to switch between alternate abilities (power p11)
Arguably that's just the fact that you need a ready maneuver to switch an advantage on.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:59 AM   #22
DangerousThing

Default Re: What's a reasonable price for Weapon Master (two unrelated weapons)?

Quote:
Yes, you don't need a ready to change between alternate attacks.
But Weapon Master is not an attack, and you need a ready maneuver to switch between alternate abilities (power p11)

And my question (to Aesir23) was
"do you think the ready maneuver (or fast drawn, or whatever else) to switch between weapon would cover the WM switch."
since he asked
"Why would Extra-Ready be necessary ?"

Yes, it is a custom limitation

Extra-ready was a forum advantage (http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...74&postcount=9) but a variant Extra Attack (Readying only, +0%) [25], was recently made official (in Monster Hunter power-up I).
The limitation is custom, but in line with similar published one, I believe.
25 seems high for just the ability to do an extra ready. It costs the same as a normal Extra Attack, isnt as useful.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #23
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
25 seems high for just the ability to do an extra ready. It costs the same as a normal Extra Attack, isnt as useful.
And I personally think Extra Attack is overpriced as it is, at least if you're only buying one level.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:42 AM   #24
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
And I personally think Extra Attack is overpriced as it is, at least if you're only buying one level.
The problem with extra attack is that melee weapon skills cap out at 4, so if you expect to do most of your fighting with a single weapon, +6 skill [24] is almost always going to be more useful.

This is arguably a problem with weapon skills, though -- if you can reasonably reliably use only a single weapon, weapon skill is almost always better than any other choice. Given relative utility, weapon skills should probably be more expensive for your first skill, less expensive for subsequent skills, though there is no particularly easy way of doing that within the skill system (maybe three skills -- defense, melee attack, ranged attack -- and specific weapon skills are techniques).
Old 02-17-2020, 11:43 AM   #25
Plane

Quote:
Yes, you don't need a ready to change between alternate attacks.
It seems weird to me though, it would be more convenient if the Alternative Attacks rules fell under the Alternative Abilities ruled and also required a ready to switch between attack types.

Power-Ups 4 "Alternatives to Alternative Attacks" mentions under "Ammunition Options" that switching between attack types is a free action at beginning OR end...

But then it adds "If it takes you a full turn to select between ammo types, add a flat -5% to the final value"

Normally "takes extra time" is a -10% enhancement, so I guess this sets a useful precedent for converting 'free action' to 'requires ready' when we're talking about the aspect of switching between Alternative Attacks rather than requiring a ready before actually making an attack itself?

Quote:
Extra-ready was a forum advantage (http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...74&postcount=9) but a variant Extra Attack (Readying only, +0%) [25], was recently made official (in Monster Hunter power-up I).
*finds Ready Steady on pg 13*

I'm thinking "ready instead" would be a better name for a 0% feature like that. "Only" makes it sound like readying is something you could normally do already with Extra Attack.

The "for Attack or Readying" enhancement is probably more useful IMO...

The +100% for "gives both" is also more useful than buying the advantage twice since you could offset that with lots of limitations.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #26
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
25 is more than fair, considering that taking Weapon Master (Single Weapon) twice and counting one of them as an Alternate Ability would only cost 24.
(FWIW, this is how I immediately thought of handling it. That it's close enough to "two weapons used together" as makes no difference makes me like it even more as an "any two weapons" thing.)
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:31 PM   #27
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The problem with extra attack is that melee weapon skills cap out at 4, so if you expect to do most of your fighting with a single weapon, +6 skill [24] is almost always going to be more useful.
I don't understand what you mean by capping out at 4?
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:53 PM   #28
Icelander

Quote:
Game-mechanically, if you have more than four weapon skills, it's cheaper to increase DX.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:03 PM   #29
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Game-mechanically, if you have more than four weapon skills, it's cheaper to increase DX.
That's true, but I think that they meant that a single weapon skill will never cost more than 4 points/level.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:42 PM   #30
Anthony

Quote:
Max cost of +1 level is [4], so you can attack twice for [24] and in the process also get +3 parry and the ability to use those 6 points of skill for something other than rapid strike.

Tags
alternate abilities, ammunition options