Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #11
zot

Default Re: Wish farming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
That's strange. I've only been playing about with Legacy at low levels so hadn't realised they'd changed the Demons. I wonder why they changed the IQ to 11? I'm also tempted to stick with the IQ20 original, which was much more dangerous to mess about with.
Pretty sure the Demon changes were because of the attribute total caps. In Advanced Wizard, you had to roll under your IQ at a -20 penalty. The example given in the text was for an IQ 30 wizard, which is impossible in today's TFT.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #12
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Pretty sure the Demon changes were because of the attribute total caps. In Advanced Wizard, you had to roll under your IQ at a -20 penalty. The example given in the text was for an IQ 30 wizard, which is impossible in today's TFT.
Ah ok. I thought the Attribute cap was for PCs only? I'm sure that SJ staffers have confirmed that point fairly recently and I would certainly agree.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #13
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Ah ok. I thought the Attribute cap was for PCs only? I'm sure that SJ staffers have confirmed that point fairly recently and I would certainly agree.
What I meant was that almost no PC could gain a wish if ITL still used the old rules -- the max IQ for a 40-point wizard PC would be 26, for a goblin with ST 6 and DX 8 (probably not possible to get to 40 attribute points with DX 8 though...). This character would have to roll a 6 or less to gain a wish from a demon under the old rules.

I believe Steve was trying to make it practical for a normal high XP PC to have a chance to gain a wish, which just wouldn't happen under the old rules.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #14
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
What I meant was that almost no PC could gain a wish if ITL still used the old rules -- the max IQ for a 40-point wizard PC would be 26, for a goblin with ST 6 and DX 8 (probably not possible to get to 40 attribute points with DX 8 though...). This character would have to roll a 6 or less to gain a wish from a demon under the old rules.

I believe Steve was trying to make it practical for a normal high XP PC to have a chance to gain a wish, which just wouldn't happen under the old rules.
Good point Zot. Just more confirmation for me that the new experience rules, whilst they solve some problems, simply create others.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote