Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-23-2019, 10:57 PM   #1
Helborn

Default Want new staff, what to do with the old?

We know that creating a new staff after the old one breaks is as simple as casting the spell, paying 5 ST and voila.

However, what if I have a perfectly good staff and simply want a new one - maybe with a few enchantments. Say I have a Fine (+1 Damage) Silver Short Sword that I made into my staff and now I want to use a Fine (+2 Damage) Silver Broadsword with Flaming and Fireproof as my staff.

Option 1 - Cast "Staff I" or higher on the new object and the old one simply isn't your staff any more. It can now be sold to recoup whatever costs you've put in it (besides Staff).

Option 2 - Get together some comrades and cast Dissolve Enchantment on the Old Staff and then cast Staff I or higher on the new staff. The old one can now be sold to recoup whatever costs you've put in it (besides Staff).

Option 3 - Break the old staff, somehow - lose whatever money you've put into it - and start with a new staff. :-P

Any thoughts?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:32 PM   #2
ColBosch

Default Re: Want new staff, what to do with the old?

I don't see anything in the rules saying you can only have one staff in existence at a time. So leave the old one across your personal treasure stash. Or, better yet, leave it across your FAKE treasure stash...
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:47 PM   #3
FireHorse

Option 4 - Deliberately leave the old staff in plain sight near the entrance to a goblin lair, then leave. As you're walking away, listen for the sound of the explosion… and when you hear it, chuckle spitefully and whistle a happy tune on the way home to enchant your new staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I don't see anything in the rules saying you can only have one staff in existence at a time. So leave the old one across your personal treasure stash. Or, better yet, leave it across your FAKE treasure stash...
ITL 148, Magic Items, The Wizard's Staff: "A wizard may have only one staff at a time. If he loses his staff, the act of making another will disempower the old staff."

Last edited by FireHorse; 04-24-2019 at 07:44 AM.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:38 AM   #4
hcobb

There's a reason why real wizards got wood in my setting:

"I see that you're still using Sandra's twig?"
"I'll switch back when I have the strength and time. I admit that this is easier to carry around." You pat your robe over the hidden pocket.
"Molly, can I have that stick when you do?"
"Would that be safe?"
"Perfectly safe. Recasting the spell disenchants the old wand, but I usually burn them."
"Why?"
"So that another wizard doesn't use it as a Scrying seed to track me."
Old 04-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
ITL 148, Magic Items, The Wizard's Staff: "A wizard may have only one staff at a time. If he loses his staff, the act of making another will disempower the old staff."
Aw. I missed that.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:51 AM   #6
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
Aw. I missed that.
No worry. That's better than forgetting basic division. ;)
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:55 PM   #7
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
We know that creating a new staff after the old one breaks is as simple as casting the spell, paying 5 ST and voila.

However, what if I have a perfectly good staff and simply want a new one - maybe with a few enchantments. Say I have a Fine (+1 Damage) Silver Short Sword that I made into my staff and now I want to use a Fine (+2 Damage) Silver Broadsword with Flaming and Fireproof as my staff.

Option 1 - Cast "Staff I" or higher on the new object and the old one simply isn't your staff any more. It can now be sold to recoup whatever costs you've put in it (besides Staff).

Option 2 - Get together some comrades and cast Dissolve Enchantment on the Old Staff and then cast Staff I or higher on the new staff. The old one can now be sold to recoup whatever costs you've put in it (besides Staff).

Option 3 - Break the old staff, somehow - lose whatever money you've put into it - and start with a new staff. :-P

Any thoughts?
Given that the old 'staff' is disenchanted, you could just keep the Fine (+1 Dmg) silver short sword as a back-up weapon or enchant it for another character. No need to destroy it, although the 'scrying seed' issue is interesting.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #8
hcobb

Molly's background is that she is a totally innocent and naive ivory tower sorceress who has no real-world experience. So the occasional flashes of raving paranoia are intended to spark some questions in the reader's mind as to what she did encounter.