Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #1
CeeDub
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: London, UK
Default Looking for blog post about types of players

Salutations!

I once read a blog post about different types of RPG players, and I think I found my way there from here, but I can't find it anymore.

Among the types were "the drama student" (or similar), who cares deeply about the motivation and backstory of the character, about the plot and the interactions with other PCs and NPCs, but not so much about the rolling of the dice. There was a type who is pretty much the opposite, who is most engaged by the mechanics of the game. There was one type who was mostly there to hang out with friends. And some other types.

Has anyone else read this (or did you perhaps write it), and can you point me to it?
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
cptbutton
 
cptbutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Default Re: Looking for blog post about types of players

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
Salutations!

I once read a blog post about different types of RPG players, and I think I found my way there from here, but I can't find it anymore.

Among the types were "the drama student" (or similar), who cares deeply about the motivation and backstory of the character, about the plot and the interactions with other PCs and NPCs, but not so much about the rolling of the dice. There was a type who is pretty much the opposite, who is most engaged by the mechanics of the game. There was one type who was mostly there to hang out with friends. And some other types.

Has anyone else read this (or did you perhaps write it), and can you point me to it?
Not sure about a blog post, but there was an article way back when "The Fourfold Way of FRP" by Jeff Johnson in Different Worlds (Issue 11 - Feb 1981)

As I recall it, they were Storyteller, Method Actor, Power Gamer, and Tactician (or Strategist).

It is one of those ideas that has been done a bunch of times. A good example is Robin D. Laws from the book Robin's Laws of Good Gamemastering

There have been a bunch of online polls to tell you what you are.

Butt-Kicker, Casual Gamer, Method Actor, Power Gamer, Specialist, Storyteller, and Tactician
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:28 AM   #3
CeeDub
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: London, UK
Default Re: Looking for blog post about types of players

Not exactly what I was looking for, it was definitely on the web, but very likely based on this. Close enough. Thank you!
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
RogerBW
 
RogerBW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: near London, UK
Default Re: Looking for blog post about types of players

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
As I recall it, they were Storyteller, Method Actor, Power Gamer, and Tactician (or Strategist).
Of course, there was the Munchkin list, AKA "Real Men, Real Roleplayers, Loonies and Munchkins".

Favourite Way to Die:
Real Men: In battle, with boots on, going down swinging.
Real Roleplayers: On deathbed, after lengthy dramatic farewell speech.
Loonies: Laughing while jumping into a portable hole, and carrying a bag of holding.
Munchkins: Die? Youíre kidding, right?

Also Aaron Allston's Strike Force had types of Champions players: The Builder, The Buddy, The Combat Monster, The Genre Fiend, The Copier, The Mad Slasher, The Mad Thinker, The Plumber, The Pro From Dover, The Romantic, The Rules Rapist, The Showoff and The Tragedian.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:24 AM   #5
Phantasm
 
Phantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On the road again...
Default Re: Looking for blog post about types of players

Or perhaps it's Mailanka's musings on setting design for different player types, who he has named "Brent, the Jock", "Willow, the Nerd", "Desiree, the Romantic", and "Bjorn, the Warrior".
__________________
"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:39 AM   #6
CeeDub
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: London, UK
Default Re: Looking for blog post about types of players

YES! That was it! THANK YOU!!
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:21 AM   #7
Phantasm
 
Phantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On the road again...
Default Re: Looking for blog post about types of players

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
YES! That was it! THANK YOU!!
Sorry it took a few days to find. My google-fu is weak.
__________________
"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #8
Captain Joy
 
Captain Joy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Heartland, U.S.A.
Default Re: Looking for blog post about types of players

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
There have been a bunch of online polls to tell you what you are.

Butt-Kicker, Casual Gamer, Method Actor, Power Gamer, Specialist, Storyteller, and Tactician
I canít help but tout my http://captainjoy.chunkyboy.com/RPGs/PlayerQuiz.html
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #9
CeeDub
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: London, UK
Default Re: Looking for blog post about types of players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Sorry it took a few days to find. My google-fu is weak.
Hey, I'm happy you found it at all. And clearly your google-fu is stronger than mine. I'll admit, the desciption I gave (and the memories I had), matched Laws' types better. So, despite the increased difficulty level, you came through. Thanks again!
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.