Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-25-2017, 03:30 PM   #11
scc

Default Re: Recover Energy And Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
No. If I were inclined to allow it at all, you might be able to count the time you spend "resting quietly" while recovering energy. You certainly can't count time the effect isn't doing anything. Note that resting quietly is not actually compatible with doing anything else that might be earning you points. You're *resting*, not studying. Actually I wouldn't allow even that - you don't earn on the job training for *maintaining* spells after all - so you should only count the time spent casting it. What, there are no rules for time to cast it? Well zero hours then.
This is where we're really going to have to disagree, given that the spell description allows you to maintain other spells whilst Recovering Energy I'd say that you can perform other activities, like say read a book or watch a video. Also chances are that a LOT of the time spent on the job for a mage whose job involves actually casting spells would in reality involve waiting for Recover Energy to do it's stuff, for example a first responder, it takes 2 seconds to cast Minor and Major Healing on a car crash victim, but 35 minutes to recover that energy at skill 15.

Quote:
Seriously the most logical interpretation of Recover Energy is probably that it's a kind of Enchantment you cast on yourself (nobody counts it as an On spell reducing your skills in all other spells once you've learned it right?). Not something you are actively using while resting that somehow still counts as rest.
It could also be a learned automatic reflex action, like breathing or everything your body has to do to walk, which is why you're able to perform it while doing other, minor, things.

Quote:
Of course I generally don't allow Recover Energy at all - it's a legacy spell from before any other methods of enhancing fatigue existed at all that really should have been tossed and converted to an advantage about the same time as Fit and Energy Reserves were minted. There are several other "skills" that should have been advantages but aren't mostly because 3e GURPS limited acquiring advantages in play.
No, it's still in for reasons beyond that. Magic is about spell casting being cheap, if somewhat error prone. Decent FP would cost too much to include in such a system. I'm less well versed in RPM, but how much would a decent energy recovery ability cost in that system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
It made sense the way you phrased it before, I just disagree - As a GM I would say that a taxi driver will gain points in Driving and Navigation (actually Area Knowledge is probably a better fit), but he won't get to double count his hours. As I understand it, the 8-hour cap is not a cap on the amount of things you can do in a day, it is a cap on your ability to absorb new information and habits. So no matter how you spend your time, if you aren't actively studying, you can't get more than 2 hours of learning "credit" per day.
Not really. The eight hours represents more how long the brain can absorb new information then anything else, the rules even say so. And for our hypothetical taxi driver after 8 hours driving can he still hit the gym and try to gain some muscles?

Last edited by scc; 11-25-2017 at 03:45 PM.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote