Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
Moneval

Default Using Sorcery to get Morrowind-like magic

So I've been going through Sorcery in prep for a game I'm about to run, and it occurred to me that it might be a really good way to get magic that feels kind of like the spell casting system from TES III: Morrowind. While I don't necessarily want to mimic it exactly, this would be of interest to me for a setting I'm working on that's heavily influenced by that game.
The use of afflictions to give spell effects with fixed durations feels very similar to Morrowind, and using alternate rituals with Spend 1 FP, Make Broad Obvious Gestures, and Power Flare (from Pyramid 105) as the options mimics the in-game casting very well. There's even a quote from Morrowind towards the back!
The one part that I'm having trouble with is the different "schools". I want to be able to have different subsets of the Sorcery advantage representing different types of magic, but I'm not sure how to get that using Sorcery.
One thought I had was to have multiple instances of the Sorcerous Empowerment advantage, limited based on the guidelines from Sorcery (probably -30%), but that gets expensive fast. I could also require a skill check, with a skill per college, but the difficulty there is in making the spells within a college have varying difficulties compared to each other (maybe some kind of Power Technique?)

I thought I'd see if anyone here has any experience with sort of dividing Sorcery and adding a skill component to it. Again, I'm not necessarily trying to adapt Morrowind's spell casting directly, but achieve a similar result.
Moneval is offline   Reply With Quote