Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-19-2020, 11:59 AM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Has COVID hit your gaming?

So far no, but we had given up gaming at the FLGS due to noise issues a couple of years ago.

So we alternate between group member's houses and no one has made an international business or vacation trip lately or even been to an airport to my knowledge. Nobody has a "meet the public" job even so the major vectors seem to be accounted for.

That leaves low probability possibilities like getting the virus from your mail or something. That chance would be up their with giant chicken attack so as far as I know we're going to game in another week or so.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:20 PM   #12
Parody

Of course. All of my game nights (public and private) have been cancelled and the game stores' event areas have been closed by order of the governor (though some shut down their gaming areas before that happened). I'm not a big fan of playing online, so it's video games and solo board/card games for me.

The only thing left on the schedule is Gen Con. Origins said they'd say something by May 1, so maybe they'll know around June?
Old 03-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #13
Anthony

I wouldn't bet on conventions for the rest of the year.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #14
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

My group is spread across the continental US so, no, COVID-19 hasn't impacted us as we already game on-line via Discord and Tabletop Simulator.

One of my gamers is a Federal Employee working in Immigration, and she's complaining that they haven't closed her down yet. My sister runs the Post Office where she lives, so she's exposed, but, they haven't shut her down either.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:43 PM   #15
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
That leaves low probability possibilities like getting the virus from your mail or something.
If none of you have been to a grocery store, sure.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #16
Shostak

Yes, had to postpone my TFT campaigns for at least a couple of weeks, since none of us have figured out how to RPG online. I passed the link to the free Melee game to some neighbors who have kids as old as I was when I discovered TFT back in 1978.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:02 PM   #17
johndallman
Night Watchman

Switched from in-person to Google Hangouts, since we almost never need a combat map. The usefulness of video is that it makes it much easier to notice when someone's link has gone down.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:32 PM   #18
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
So far no, but we had given up gaming at the FLGS due to noise issues a couple of years ago.

So we alternate between group member's houses and no one has made an international business or vacation trip lately or even been to an airport to my knowledge. Nobody has a "meet the public" job even so the major vectors seem to be accounted for.
This spreads like the flu, but more easily. As social activities go, a gaming group should be pretty safe (4-7 people sitting around a spacious table) but do not underestimate this. If you get seasonal flu, you are at risk for this, and while the death rate for people under 60 is low 10-20% of confirmed cases need to be hospitalized.

All it takes is one person with the virus but no symptoms visiting a retirement home to start a chain of death. A businessman in Germany felt bad for two days then went back to work and infected two or three colleagues. In the new country, we are locked down, because the only thing that determines whether a country goes like South Korea or Italy is how early in the epidemic they start quarantining. Do not underestimate this or your local papers will fill up with obituaries.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 03-19-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:39 PM   #19
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
This spreads like the flu, but more easily. As social activities go, a gaming group should be pretty safe (4-7 people sitting around a spacious table) but do not underestimate this. If you get seasonal flu, you are at risk for this, and while the death rate for people under 60 is low 10-20% of confirmed cases need to be hospitalized.

All it takes is one person with the virus but no symptoms visiting a retirement home to start a chain of death. In the new country, we are locked down, because the only thing that determines whether a country goes like South Korea or Italy is how early in the epidemic they start quarantining. Do not underestimate this or your local papers will fill up with obituaries.
While I agree with the note not to underestimate risks, because we do not want those at risk getting this, I don't think we have adequate data to infer much about hospitalization rates.

Iceland currently has by far the most confirmed cases as a percentage of the population, but only 1% of confirmed cases in Iceland are currently in hospital. This is, obviously, very different from countries like Italy, which actually has a lower percentage of confirmed cases than we do, but much more serious consequences.

Either Italy or Iceland are likely anomalous in terms of hospitalization and death rates. There is some reason to believe that many countries have significantly higher infection rates than the confirmed cases, which would tend to skew hospitalization and death rates upward, because only the most seriously ill are diagnosed.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:52 PM   #20
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

My regular 1-on-1 gaming is via Trillian chat and my group game meets over Discord, so no issues there. But I can feel the pain; I had a lot of good years with live groups.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gaming, illness