Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Low cost animal templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
That's the point needles, and insect bights can ignore DR(touch skin) but not DR(Flexible) but Fur DR will not stop a tranquilizer dart
A tranquilizer dart will also go through many forms of flexible DR; it's not a contact agent in the first place.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #12
gilbertocarlos

Many animals also have very low ST, with is 50 points or more.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #13
mehrkat

Thanks all.

my gurps fu is weak today. I thought I remembered there being a price break somewhere for templates that were all almost the same except for minor tweaks.
The example I came up with was being able to change into both a hawk and a large hawk (the small hawk has advantages in that it can sneak and fit places) the large hawk is more capable of engaging in combat. However, essentially everything else is the same. 15 points for that difference seems wrong. Its not cosmetic changes because there is a real effect in being stronger.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #14
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
Thanks all.

my gurps fu is weak today. I thought I remembered there being a price break somewhere for templates that were all almost the same except for minor tweaks.
The example I came up with was being able to change into both a hawk and a large hawk (the small hawk has advantages in that it can sneak and fit places) the large hawk is more capable of engaging in combat. However, essentially everything else is the same. 15 points for that difference seems wrong. Its not cosmetic changes because there is a real effect in being stronger.
Alternate Abilities?
Old 01-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #15
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
Thanks all.

That's more along the lines of Morph than Alternate Form.
More lets you swap out abilities rather than whole templates.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #16
Terwin

I would think Morph (Animal Templates only -x%) might be a good route to follow.

Over time more powerful animals would become available by adding to the morph point-limit pool.
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #17
mehrkat

Terwin,

Maybe so but then I would mostly have to hand wave the template cost as the animals that can be shifted into are essentially infinite.
Either that or limit the forms in some other way that allows me to make sure they are statted up pregame.
I'll have to think about that one a bit and see which one I like best as a really flexible animal shifter could be fun as long as we don't let it slow down the game.

Anders,

Alternative Abilities are not allowed in the Shape Change ability as it is considered double dipping as each form is essentially already an alternative ability. Each one costs 15 points except the most expensive and it costs 15 points +90% the difference in the template cost.

Tags
animal, shape shifting, templates