Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #1
Stone Dog

Default DF: Magical Styles, Powerful Vortex for Pentaclism

Just a quick thought occurs to me at work. Since Mana Vortex has damage based directly off Magery, would buying One Spell Magery for it be an acceptable means of boosting the spell or a cheesy way of getting around the spell's limitations?
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: DF: Magical Styles, Powerful Vortex for Pentaclism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
Just a quick thought occurs to me at work. Since Mana Vortex has damage based directly off Magery, would buying One Spell Magery for it be an acceptable means of boosting the spell or a cheesy way of getting around the spell's limitations?
In a word: Yes.

In a more detailed answer: It depends on the flavor of the game, I think. By the RAW, One College or One Spell Magery is acceptable for boosting the spell level and not touching the rest of the character's magic. Some GMs may not permit that in their games, however. If they do, expect the GM to counter with the guy who has One Spell Magery: Some Other Damaging Spell or even One Spell Magery: Counterspell of equal or higher level. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, after all. . . .

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
Railstar

Quote:
My view is it's fine.

Mana Vortex is short-ranged, easy to resist, and does relatively little injury compared to some other spells out there. All you get from each level of One-Spell Magery is +1 to cast and +1 damage for a moderately limited attack spell.

Not exactly a problem for me.

Usually my counter to this kind of thing is the campaign Magery cap, usually Magery 3, which can be surpassed with Unusual Background (expensive) or Special Exercises (requires points in other spells). Essentially, unless the GM lets you take unlimited One-Spell Magery, the safeguards to stop it from being cheesy are already built in.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
Stone Dog

Good advice, thanks everyone.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:31 AM   #5
Dolarre

Have you looked at the Power Casting perk from Magical Styles? It seems to be exactly what you're looking for. Each level adds 1 to your Magery for effect purposes only.
Dolarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:04 AM   #6
Stone Dog

I certainly want the skill bonus as well to help with it getting through resistance checks.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
Railstar

Quote:
I certainly want the skill bonus as well to help with it getting through resistance checks.
Make sure you take Rule of 17 as well.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote