Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-29-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
larsdangly

Default IQ rise and talents

I just realized that the new treatment of spells and talents is inconsistent with the way my group has generally handled gaining them when your IQ goes up. Perhaps it wasn't correct, but we always let people just pick new spells and talents whenever their IQ went up by experience, 'filling up' their new capacity. But this is clearly not specified in the new rules, and I would say is inconsistent with their intent. That is, you clearly have to buy your new spells and talents with EXP even if you have raised IQ to exceed the number of points of them you've already got. Agreed?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
TippetsTX

Default Re: IQ rise and talents

Our GM back in the day made us use the 'training' rules. We had to pre-select the next 3 talents that we planned to gain when we earned enough XP to raise IQ sufficiently.

Was that rule eliminated in the revision?
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
Skarg

I didn't notice that, but I'll read for that again later.

What I did notice is the missing sections on what it actually takes to learn a spell in terms of needing a book or teacher who knows the spell, and time, and likely a fee or apprenticeship relationship. Those seem like big steps backwards to me, especially not mentioning the need to learn a spell from some source rather than just getting it from their imagination.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
hcobb

See ITL-141 for how to record, copy and read spells.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:45 PM   #5
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
See ITL-141 for how to record, copy and read spells.
How about for where to learn them?

I.e. the missing five paragraphs from original Advanced Wizard "Learning New Spells" on page 10.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I just realized that the new treatment of spells and talents is inconsistent with the way my group has generally handled gaining them when your IQ goes up. Perhaps it wasn't correct, but we always let people just pick new spells and talents whenever their IQ went up by experience, 'filling up' their new capacity. But this is clearly not specified in the new rules, and I would say is inconsistent with their intent. That is, you clearly have to buy your new spells and talents with EXP even if you have raised IQ to exceed the number of points of them you've already got. Agreed?
The way I understand the system, talents and spells don't fill up "IQ slots" after character creation. Yes, you must meet their IQ requirements but you don't have to raise your IQ just to "make room in your head" for more talents/spells. You pay XP for them instead.

During character creation, your starting IQ limits how many talents/spells you know starting off...by using the old "IQ slots".

This new system was presented by Steve back in mid June. It may have been proposed as far back as April :) but I wouldn't know :)
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=13

Last edited by platimus; 09-29-2018 at 03:59 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:02 PM   #7
hcobb

May a starting character leave an IQ slot idle to drop in one new talent as needed later on?
Old 09-29-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
May a starting character leave an IQ slot idle to drop in one new talent as needed later on?
You can but you'd be wasting it. After character creation, I don't think you need IQ slots.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #9
Skarg

My impression is you can, but there are no rules for how to do that, since all the rules about learning things and how long it takes and needing a teacher or book are missing.

I think the XP for talents is just to exceed your IQ in talent/spell points.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #10
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
My impression is you can, but there are no rules for how to do that, since all the rules about learning things and how long it takes and needing a teacher or book are missing.

I think the XP for talents is just to exceed your IQ in talent/spell points.
I think you're wrong on both counts.

"you can, but there are no rules for how to do that". There are no rules for it because IQ points are moot after character creation.

See ITL p. 45
Learning New Spells and Talents

Last edited by platimus; 09-29-2018 at 03:23 PM.