Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-28-2018, 09:54 PM   #11
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Biker gear for Iron Order MC cover identities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I guess I can see how the outer layer would be good for abrasion resistance, but my concern is that losing or leaving a jacket worn over concealed armour, load-bearing gear and weapons is a lot more likely than a support garment worn under these.
Well, sure. But them's the breaks when you're trying to roll subtle.

Quote:
Taylor's views on social equality and embracing differences are somewhere to the left of Martin Luther King and Harvey Milk.
So, reinforced chaps are in?

Quote:
What kind of penalty to Guns would they give?
None as long as he takes the time to get used to firing, reloading, etc while wearing them. Otherwise I'd throw a -1 Familiarity penalty at him.

Quote:
Also, two PCs have leather stuff, seemed like there should be some variation.
Denim is fine. If you guys can get custom gear, it can be kevlar lined and be as good as a thick leather jacket I suspect (DR 2 Flexible).

Quote:
Besides, is the leather actually protective?
Next time you're at a decent coat store take a good look at leather riding jackets. Yeah, there's a reason they were worn despite the heat long before kevlar was invented.

Quote:
Isn't it the kevlar or other material inserts that actually provide protection?
That's all just 'up' armoring.

Quote:
Yeah, I think fancy boots will be Taylor's idea of a fancy getup.
A singular extra fancy thing that can easily be ditched is also a great piece of a disguise.

Quote:
No, the DR is for the inevitable fall from a speeding bike and painful tumbling over hard ground, ankle-snapping stones and flesh-tearing gravel.
I recommend learning Breakfall and Catfall.

Quote:
Ok, but boots that look like cowboy boots, allow controlling a motorcycle without a penalty and give DR 2* to the foot, do these give a penalty to any of Acrobatics, Climbing, Jumping, Running or Stealth?
Off the rack? I'd probably hit them with a straight penalty to Climb and Stealth and a Familiarity penalty to Running, Jumping, and Acrobatics.

I used to run, jump, and flip about wearing jump boots, so it's not difficult at all. However... climbing is harder as the boot is too rigid to conform to surfaces and a solid sole is always bad for Stealth (I disagree with High-Tech, jungle Boots should have a penalty to Stealth).

However... as High-Tech gives at best a +1 and at worst a -1 (for Blast Boots!).... they're probably not penalized at all. If you feel the extra +1 DR in crashes is worth a penalty, I'd lay it at -1 (hard penalty for Stealth and Climbing, Fam pen for the others).

Now, saying that. If Chase has the time he can take his fancy hard rubber soled boots to a boot smith* and get gum soles put on to replace the hard rubber. This won't affect DR, it will drop the penalty for Climbing and Stealth completely, and it will drastically, negatively affect durability. The soles won't last more than a few months of the wear and tear of riding.

* Words (and google) are failing me.

Quote:
It's probably best to plan for one or more tumbles from a motorcycle at higher speed than is entirely safe...
Gravity... is a harsh mistress.

Quote:
Our GM feels we were entirely too cautious on Jewell Island and is threatening some proper superhero action. Apparently, being more awesome than any real high-speed, low-drag special operator is overkill if we're just going to confront mundane challenges in a sane way. So, well, we're in a valley that has been the murder capital of the world for a while and it appears that everyone hiding in terror is hostile in some way.
Sounds exciting!

Quote:
We're on a blind date with destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.
Hello...I got the poison lobster here.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
federal agencies, hans-christian vortisch, high-tech, jade serenity, modern firepower, special ops