Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-19-2020, 09:47 AM   #11
AllenOwen

Default Re: Forgotten Realms in DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
Especially if we are talking DFRPG, elf extended lifespan is worth not points.
Lifespan is mentioned in the various editions of AD&D, so I'm including it. You don't have to if you don't want to.
AllenOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #12
Imbicatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOwen View Post
Lifespan is mentioned in the various editions of AD&D, so I'm including it. You don't have to if you don't want to.
Yes, they have extended lifespan. What I’m saying is that that shouldn’t be worth any points, it’s just a special effect that doesn’t provide any benefit to an adventurer.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:15 AM   #13
AllenOwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Extended Lifespan 3 is 6 points, right? Honestly, I would reduce that to a perk, at most. It's really only relevant if you have ageing traps and spells.

What D&D edition are we converting?
Oops your'e right.
the lifespan stuff is included to allow for more than just hack and slash.
Add an actual setting, you might need it. But a perk might be better anyway.

As for edition, probably just 2nd. But I'm not going for a "mathematical" "conversion". Just adapting DFRPG with a few more things outside of it to get the feel right. For example, I'll eventually have to draw upon DF 7 Clerics, since FR has more than just "good" and "evil" clerics. You have deities with a specific portfolio that break that framework, since a cleric of Umberlee is going to have access to different spells than a cleric of Bhaal. Or a priest of Malar will be different from a priest of Silvanus, so modifications to the druid template will need to happen. Any spells not included in DFRPG Spells will not be included, in an attempt to not break things too much.

DFRPG is like AD&D without a defined setting, so you don't really need lifespan stuff. But then, what if you wanted to have a longer game, one that spanned game years? Then you might need it. What if I wanted dungeon delving to have a larger purpose, other than get money? Like find that magic artifact that might stop, or mildly discommode, the Zhentarim?

AD&D clerics were just clerics with no mention of what god or goddess they were clerics for, until you either got Deities and Demigods, got one of the settings or made your own gods up. At that point, clerical spell lists changed.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:16 AM   #14
AllenOwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
Yes, they have extended lifespan. What I’m saying is that that shouldn’t be worth any points, it’s just a special effect that doesn’t provide any benefit to an adventurer.
That's fine; don't include it if you don't want to.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #15
Anders

What is the benefit they get from that perk? Maybe they ignore or halve time penalties for History and related skills, because they lived through it?
Old 07-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #16
AllenOwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
What is the benefit they get from that perk? Maybe they ignore or halve time penalties for History and related skills, because they lived through it?
Hmmm yeah. But that depends on how old they actually are, wouldn't it?
Old 07-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #17
Anders

Yeah. Make it an option you switch on for people with extended lifespan. That way it's effectively the Extra Option perk. If they are old enough to have experienced the event, they can ignore time penalties.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:21 PM   #18
Balor Patch

You could just as easily look at it as a quirk acquired by old humans: Dependency on anti-aging magic.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:26 PM   #19
corwyn

For a long time, I've repriced Unaging at 5 and Extended Lifespan/Longevity at 1 - they're just not worth more than that in most campaigns.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote