Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-31-2009, 04:19 PM   #61
Johnny Angel

Default Re: fantasy races

What's the common consensus on how many common races are the right amount for a campaign?

I imagine that campaign size is something which the answer depends upon, so, for the sake of discussion, let's say a continent sized scope.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:10 PM   #62
NorphTehDwarf

I'd place a maximum of two sentient races per continent, but that's more of a personal taste thing. To make it biologically believable, your maximum is gonna be one sentient species per planet. That might be boring for a fantasy world, though (and it certainly runs counter to the point of this thread), so I'll say this: figure out the ecological niches of your various species' ancestors, and try to place them in areas that mimic those niches. Humans, for example, will prefer to live more in plains and river valleys than in mountains, tundra, or deserts.

Sentient lizards would probably do just fine in the desert but prefer to avoid overly wet or cold areas. A sentient species can certainly use technology to adapt to any environment a planet has to offer, but if there's another group already there that's better adapted, the first one's unlikely to spread. For example, humans would be quite unlikely to encroach on the underwater kingdom of the Squid Sapiens unless there was something really, really valuable down there.

Last edited by NorphTehDwarf; 05-31-2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: whoa, that was a big paragraph. gotta remember that ol' enter key.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:24 PM   #63
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
What's the common consensus on how many common races are the right amount for a campaign?

I imagine that campaign size is something which the answer depends upon, so, for the sake of discussion, let's say a continent sized scope.
It varies. I like to have no more then one in an ecological niche but may have different ones in different regions. Also are any of the races from elsewhere?
Banestorm for example shows what can happen if different races are imported.
Also gods may create multiple races so evolution isn't our only choice.
And finally you may have races created at different times.

Another criteria to consider is the effect on the game with the players. Too many races can make things confusing.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:36 PM   #64
Johnny Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
It varies. I like to have no more then one in an ecological niche but may have different ones in different regions. Also are any of the races from elsewhere?
Banestorm for example shows what can happen if different races are imported.
Also gods may create multiple races so evolution isn't our only choice.
And finally you may have races created at different times.

Another criteria to consider is the effect on the game with the players. Too many races can make things confusing.
In what I'm currently working on, none of the raises are from 'elsewhere' in the sense of Banestorm.

Two of my big influences are D&D and the works of R. Howard, so my mind is torn between having different races and simply just having different cultures.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:23 PM   #65
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
In what I'm currently working on, none of the raises are from 'elsewhere' in the sense of Banestorm.

Two of my big influences are D&D and the works of R. Howard, so my mind is torn between having different races and simply just having different cultures.
Have different races that identify more strongly with a culture than a race. A northman is more likely to get along with a fellow northman, regardless of whether he's a dragon-kin, human, or gnome, than he would with a merchant from the southern kingdom, even if the merchant is the same race he is.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:49 AM   #66
Heldaris

Half-Spirit, Celestial
142 points
Choice Professions: Cleric, Holy Warrior.
Marginal Professions: None.

Celestials are rumored to result from the earthly dalliances of beings known colloquially as “Angels.” Some people believe that Celestials exist for a Reason and are the Chosen. However, if Divine Servitors are forbidden to fraternize with mortals – as clerics claim – then it seems more likely that Celestials descend from rebel Angels, or that Angels aren’t Divine Servitors. This however is not true, relationships between Angels and mortals rarely occur due to a myraid of reasons. Angels are very different from mortals, having a very complex emotional nature, seeking out meaningful relationships for reasons far different from most mortals, considering marriage to be an eternal sacred unity. Also, being Divine Servitors, Angels rarely have the leisure time to commit in a meaningful way to what is considered sacred and will not unless they do. However, when the both rare and beautiful occurance transpires of an Angel falling in love with a mortal a Celestial child is oft the result, a beautiful new-born Celestial Child. Like their Angel parent, Celestials are androgynous but clearly belong to one gender or the other, appear physicaly majestic with fair complection, and are innately good creatures. They are a fair breed, having both a gentle and merciful nature, posess an innate sense of propriety and morality, and are quite high-minded and altruistic. It is odd that despite Celestials’ many gifts, they only wield Holy Powers when they happen to take priestly orders. Celestials could pass for the lucky few humans who are attractive, fit, nimble, charismatic, strong, and wise, if it weren’t for the golden or silvery nimbus. Some have more telling features, like feathered wings, a powerful ringing voice, or a luminous body.

Attribute Modifiers: ST+1 [10]; DX+1 [20]; IQ+1 [20]; HT+1 [10].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: Will+1 [5]; FP+1 [3]; Basic Speed+0.5 [10].
Advantages: Absolute Morals [27]; Appearance (Attractive; Impressive, +0%; Universal, +25%) [5]; Close to Heaven 2 [10]; Doesn't Eat or Drink [10]; Fit [5]; Pious [5]; Spirit Empathy [10]; Unaging [15].
Perks: Celestial Nimbus [1]; Covenant of Rest [1]; Divine Charm (Shape Light) [1]; Divine Gifts [1]; Sanctity [1]; Sanitized Metabolism [1].
Disadvantages: Charitable (12 or less) [-15]; Diabolical Curse (Demons go after you first and worst, no matter who else is nearby) [-5]; Unnatural Features (Androgynous, eyes, hair, skin, haloed) [-5]; Weakness (Cursed areas and unsanctified areas of high or worse to Evil deities; Occasional; 1d/minute) [-20].
Quirks: Aloof [-1]; Androgynous [-1]; Broadminded [-1]; Humble [-1].
Racially Innate Spells: Shape Light-15 [20].
Features: Functions and detects as Good, regardless of true morality, whether this helps (“Only the truly Good can wield this sword.”) or hinders (“Triple damage to beings of true Good.”). Gold, silver or other distinctive eyes and hair. Milk-white, blue, or other unnatural skin.

Absolute Morals: Intuition (Aspected, Moral decisions, -20%; Inspired, +100%) [27]. Notes: The user knows, with 100% certainty, what his religious or philosophical beliefs would have to say about any situation. He can distinguish “good” people, places, and items from “evil” ones without special senses, and always knows what behavior would appease or anger Gods, Spirits, etc.

Celestial Nimbus: You’re engulfed in a constant glow. This is as bright as a torch, eliminates darkness penalties up to -3 in a two yard radius, and can’t be concealed, but can be made less noticable with the proper use of the Shape Light spell.

Close to Heaven: Enlightend is probably the best word to describe this innate gift of sound judgement and spiritual nature. You are in harmony with spiriutality and are truly wise in the way of the cosmos. This talent adds to Exorcism, Meditation, Religious Ritual, Ritual Magic, Symbol Drawing, and Theology. Reaction bonus: “religious professionals.” 5 points/level.

Divine Gifts: You may start with certain exotic and supernatural advantages, or buy them in play, at their usual point costs: Damage Resistance (Limited, Energy, -20%) [4/level]; additional Divine Charms [1/Charm]; Doesn’t Breathe [20], Doesn’t Sleep [20], Extra Life [25], Hyperspectral Vision [25]; Immunity to Metabolic Hazards at [30], Luminous Body [10]; Penetrating Voice [1]; Perfume [1]; Temperature Tolerance [1/level], Voice [10]; Walk on Air [20], and Walk on Liquid [15], Winged [0] .

Luminous Body: Your very skin, eyes, and hair are iridescent and emit haloed light, strengthening your Celestial Nimbus that shines bright and strong. This eliminates one extra level of darkness penalty and improves Attractive to Beautiful/Handsome.

Pious: Some people have an innate sense of propriety, which allows them to show uncommon respect to the people and things that are conisdered sacred or worthy of respect in their culture. This is not the same as savoir-faire; piety is a moral impulse, not a facade of etiquette. Pious people usually have a reputation for propriety, which makes almost everyone more likely to react favorably towards them. You are exempt from reaction penalties due to differences in Rank or Status. In situations where there would be no such penalty, you get +1 on reactions from those who demand respect (priests, kings, etc.).

Sanctity: For some reason people find it very hard to think ill of you. Unless confronted with direct evidence of the contrary, people will assume you're innocent and high-minded (although not necessarily naive). People tend to trust and confide in you. This doesn't make reactions from other people more or less favourable, but it does influence the actions of people already favourably inclined towards you.

Winged: The Celestial has large wings and can swoop through the air at twice its Basic Speed; its bones are hollow, however, and more prone to breaking. Add Flight (Winged, -25%) and Vulnerability (Crushing x2). When figuring weight find the normal weight and cut a third off due to lighter bone structure.

Here's the Celestial Template I redid for roleplaying outside of dungeon fantasy. Hope you like it

Last edited by Heldaris; 06-01-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Heldaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #67
DemiBenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
Yeah, this is a big pitfall of so much fantasy. If you don't want to build a cliched fantasy setting, I suggest that this sort of thing either needs a reasonable-sounding explanation, or should be avoided.
My explanation: Only humans (and their subspecies) are native; everyone else arrived via World Gate. The World Gates only go to one place on other worlds, which is why those non-humans only have one culture - it's the culture of the region where the Gates are located.
DemiBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #68
The Colonel

I arranged one campaign world where the 'elves' (knocked off from Tad William's Sithi) were the degenerate remains of a hi-tech alien civilisation - and, despite their lack of advanced technology, were still a 'no way are you playing one of these' species.
The humans had been uplifted from Apes by the 'elves' and 'dwarves', 'giants' and 'ogres*' further engineered from them.
There was also a race of degenerate snake men (heavily modified from TSRs Yuan-ti) who were descended from humans that made a bad bargain to escape slavery to the 'elves'.
'Orcs' and 'Goblins' and 'Trolls' were then created from humans, 'dwarves' and 'ogres*' respectively by the 'dark elves' and 'hobgoblins' were the 'elven' response to the 'orcs'.
That lot, and a shauagin/deep ones style aquatic species were the main sapients. Anything else was strictly limited edition and the result of someone meddling with an existing species.
There were no gnomes/hobbits/other small annoying critters because I despise them and there were no half elves either (species, in this case, meant species).
Very little of the backstory was available to the players, and most of the creation myths the PCs 'knew' were wrong.

*Ogres were essentially not much more than larger humans with some mods that made them better in combat.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #69
Johnny Angel

I think somewhere in this thread I mentioned a Monte Cook setting which had winged elves and lion-men. At the time I couldn't remember the setting, but it just clicked in my memory... Ptolus. I'd like to see a GURPs version of Ptolus.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:14 AM   #70
Johnny Angel

One thing I've noticed in many campaign worlds is that humans are typically dominant race (obvious this isn't the case in stories which don't have humans.) Actually, the only exception I'm familiar with that I can think of to this would be some of The Chronicles of Narnia.

Tags
brainstorm, fantasy, ideas to share, random thought table