Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2018, 09:30 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#48): Enhanced Move

"Its benefits apply only when traveling in a relatively straight, smooth course..." Basic Page 52.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:43 PM   #12
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
"Its benefits apply only when traveling in a relatively straight, smooth course..." Basic Page 52.
Yes, and pp. B394-395 have specific rules for changing course when using it, which qualify exact what a "relatively straight, smooth course" is. The text there says, "It's possible to go so fast that you can't easily stop or change course," but "can't easily" isn't the same as "can't."

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #13
Flyndaran
Untagged

Those rules still don't fit for most real world animals. Large fast not super agile ones like horses, sure, but not most others that I've watched on television.
They don't take 30-50 feet distance to change directions.

I get that like many rules, that's not what was intended, but that's what was written. Like how Discriminatory Smell's literal write up being normal for many humans, but not at all what was intended.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:17 PM   #14
MadCoder

Would anyone know how top speed is affected by encumbrance?

I thought you modified your base move and then calculate top speed.

Example:
Base Move: 9
Enhanced Move Level: 1.5
Move Encumbrance Medium (2): 5
Top Medium Speed: 5 * 2 * 1.5 = 15

I noticed the Gurps Character Assistant program, Phoenix Character sheet has a different value; it shows 5/16, and heavy and x-heavy are different. I'm guessing the program is incorrect.
MadCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:37 AM   #15
coronatiger

As a point of interest, a character with Basic Move 5 would need
  • 6.5 levels of Enhanced Move to break the sound barrier
  • 26 levels of Enhanced Move to outrun his own image (of course things start getting relatively weird around 22 levels)

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:51 AM   #16
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCoder View Post
Would anyone know how top speed is affected by encumbrance?

I thought you modified your base move and then calculate top speed.

Example:
Base Move: 9
Enhanced Move Level: 1.5
Move Encumbrance Medium (2): 5
Top Medium Speed: 5 * 2 * 1.5 = 15

I noticed the Gurps Character Assistant program, Phoenix Character sheet has a different value; it shows 5/16, and heavy and x-heavy are different. I'm guessing the program is incorrect.
What you might be missing in the calculations is that you don't round move until the end. So if your Base Move is 9, at medium encumbrance it's 5.4 yards/second, which then multiplies, with Enhanced Ground Move 1.5, to 16.2, rounded down to 16.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:48 AM   #17
Plane

B385 mentions "You receive movement points equal to your Move." for the Move and Move and Attack maneuvers, while All-Out has "movement points equal to half your Move (round up)." (only forward for Attack, only for Increased Dodge for Defense) so would that refer to Enhanced Move (or the +20% Sprinting speed for those without EM) instead of Basic Move once someone has accelerated?

If a creature with Enhanced Move 1 doubled their speed from Move 10 to Move 20 and got 20 movement points (limited to forward movement) would that mean if they used 18/10 movement points going forward, they would not have the option that turn of spending their remaining 2 to go backward?

I'm thinking of how to deal with the problem of "mixed" directions, and I was thinking perhaps the easiest way would be if you make a non-forward movement that you multiply the normal Movement Point costs by however much EM multiplied your Basic Move by.

Normally someone with Move 10 can take a step to the back or side by spending 2 MP (20%) so if they had Move 20, since EM doesn't help unless running forward in a straight line, instead of spending 2 they should probably still need to spend 20%, which is 4 MP. In the case of Sprinting you'd have to spend 20% more on non-forward movement, if you treat MP as increasing 20%.

I'm not sure whether Enhanced Move applies to postures other than standing. Normally those increase Movement Point costs when using Tactical Combat rules. B394 requires "at the end of any turn during which you’ve moved your full Basic Move – modified for encumbrance, if any – in one direction" for acceleration, the only way to move your full basic move is standing and forward since that is the only movement that uses the "1 MP per hex" cost.

B395 says "cannot retreat" during high-speed movement, but basic set only had backward retreating so I don't know if people are prohibited from using "slips" from Martial Arts during HSM. "Tactical Movement" on the right column says "your movement points equal your velocity at the start of your turn" and "cannot sidestep or step back" makes forward movement the only option. If you are able to use the MP=V for crouching/kneeling/crawling it seems strange you can't also use it for movement sideways.

Last edited by Plane; 11-30-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:44 PM   #18
Vaevictis Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Those rules still don't fit for most real world animals. Large fast not super agile ones like horses, sure, but not most others that I've watched on television.
They don't take 30-50 feet distance to change directions.
There were untested Powers outtakes that included enhancements for Enhanced Move:

Cosmic, +50% on both Enhanced Move and any underlying movement ability to gain complete maneuverability: turn on a dime, never make maneuver rolls, etc.

There's also:
Cosmic, +50% on Enhanced Move to allow acceleration to full speed in just one turn.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:49 PM   #19
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
There were untested Powers outtakes that included enhancements for Enhanced Move:

Cosmic, +50% on both Enhanced Move and any underlying movement ability to gain complete maneuverability: turn on a dime, never make maneuver rolls, etc.

There's also:
Cosmic, +50% on Enhanced Move to allow acceleration to full speed in just one turn.
Those made it into Power Ups Enhancements.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:13 PM   #20
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post

There's also:
I believe those might have been enhancements that I made up for GURPS Supers, after Powers had been in print for a while.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, enhanced move, week, [basic]