Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-13-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
Dalin

Default Merchant skill with "For you, a special price!"

The description of the merchant skill says "If you know Merchant at any level, you get +1 on reaction rolls when buying or selling" (Adventurers, p. 83). When you're trying to sell loot, you can try to make a reaction roll to boost your wealth level as described under "For you, a special price!", Exploits, p. 16. This rule specifically says that you should "add any bonuses for the hero's Appearance and Charisma" but makes no mention of the merchant skill.

If a delver has the merchant skill, should they get an additional +1? Or is that bonus for general reactions with a merchant? (Though it seems to only apply when buying or selling, so that doesn't seem right.) This confused us at our table because the write-up specifically calls for only two potential reaction bonuses.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:39 AM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Merchant skill with "For you, a special price!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
The description of the merchant skill says "If you know Merchant at any level, you get +1 on reaction rolls when buying or selling" (Adventurers, p. 83). When you're trying to sell loot, you can try to make a reaction roll to boost your wealth level as described under "For you, a special price!", Exploits, p. 16. This rule specifically says that you should "add any bonuses for the hero's Appearance and Charisma" but makes no mention of the merchant skill.
That's because exploits doesn't list every bonus, that was already covered under the skill description. Exploits is often only listing bonuses not already discussed elsewhere.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #3
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
That's because exploits doesn't list every bonus, that was already covered under the skill description. Exploits is often only listing bonuses not already discussed elsewhere.
Makes sense. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
Harald387

Similarly you'd still get your bonus for Voice (unless you're communicating with the merchant in sign language), for Born Entertainer (in the right circumstances), from Born War-Leader (if the person you're selling to is a professional fighter), etc.

Bringing a Bard to town is a great way to get 20% more money across the board.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
Dalin

A related question that I may have missed in the rules:

Is the default assumption in DFRPG that the full sale value of a magical item is its cost? So, for example, let's say a delver finds a fine dagger ($200) enchanted with Icy Weapon ($17,000). If she wants to sell it in town, would the base value be $17,200? So, for example, if she were Wealthy, she could sell it for 80% of that ($13,760)?

I recognize that I can change things depending on market forces, history of the item, etc., but I want to understand the baseline assumptions of the game.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
ArchonShiva

Yes.
Hey, look, a character!

Tags
merchant, reaction rolls