Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-17-2018, 06:26 AM   #71
Bruno

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#17): Brachiator; Clinging; Super Climbing

I would require Force-Field (+20%) with a prerequisite of Attraction (+25%) - this would also let you stick with your shirted back, the hat on top of your head, etc without having your clothing peel off and stick to the wall while you fall down.

If you had Attraction, I'd allow the Super-Suit perk to perform the same schtick with one specific costume (as usual).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:13 AM   #72
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#17): Brachiator; Clinging; Super Climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Question: as written – Clinging with no enhancements/limitations – does moving along walls and ceilings require skin-to-surface contact? I.e. Should an otherwise human character with this advantage be able to walk on walls and ceilings while wearing boots?
The wording of Attraction does seem to imply that bodily contact with the surface is required. As B suggests, some sort of Enhancement ought to let it work through normal clothing, although I wouldn't require Attraction as a prerequisite. The Supersuit Perk should be sufficient for someone like Spider-Man, or you could just assume that it works fine through thin cloth.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:14 AM   #73
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I would require Force-Field (+20%) with a prerequisite of Attraction (+25%) - this would also let you stick with your shirted back, the hat on top of your head, etc without having your clothing peel off and stick to the wall while you fall down.

If you had Attraction, I'd allow the Super-Suit perk to perform the same schtick with one specific costume (as usual).
Powers indicates that gravity control grants Clinging with Attraction but says nothing about Force Field. In fact I don't recall any enhancement or limitation denoting in/ability to work with surfaces without a Contact Agent grade contact. I suspect the RAW treats them as a feature, not a modifier.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:02 AM   #74
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
How would you describe what creatures like tree squirrel have? Just super climbing and high levels of Climbing? Is it Clinging (Limited, Trees)?
Squirrels aren't limited to climbing trees, they'll happily climb buildings if they can get their claws into them.

Anyhow, for the sort of movement where you can jump from branch to branch, but you need to use all four feet to do it I use Luke's house-ruled variant of Brachiation: Scansorial.

Scansorial works identically to Brachiation in terms of travel speeds and game effects, but you move by jumping or gliding from branch to branch, rather than swinging along using your arms.

Most arboreal critters will have at least one level of Super Climbing, but some don't (e.g., sloths). They can still climb, just not any faster than a human.

As for pulling a climbing person off a wall, I'd treat sudden downward pressure as extra encumbrance which requires a ST-based Climbing skill roll at a penalty equal to the new level of Encumbrance - go above Extra Heavy encumbrance and you lose your grip.

If the pressure is exerted to pull the climber away from the wall, treat it as a Quick Contest of ST vs. ST-based Climbing skill. Bonus to the climber's skill if he has Claws - as anyone who has tried to remove a kitten from a curtain can attest.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:08 PM   #75
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Powers indicates that gravity control grants Clinging with Attraction but says nothing about Force Field. In fact I don't recall any enhancement or limitation denoting in/ability to work with surfaces without a Contact Agent grade contact. I suspect the RAW treats them as a feature, not a modifier.
Okay, so just be clear. If you (not just Vicky; anyone else should feel free to sound off as well) were GMing my character, The Roach, you would require me to be barefoot to run along walls and ceilings.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 10-04-2018 at 05:09 PM. Reason: added link
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:20 PM   #76
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Okay, so just be clear. If you (not just Vicky; anyone else should feel free to sound off as well) were GMing my character, The Roach, you would require me to be barefoot to run along walls and ceilings.
I wouldn't. I might require your character to be though. ;)
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:48 AM   #77
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
I wouldn't. I might require your character to be though. ;)
For what it is worth, I would probably require the Supersuit Purse and that is me "playing it safe"; before this part of the discussion, I just assumed it worked through your typical spandex costume because... well... Spider-Man.

Or did I miss where the tone of this setting is "grimdark"? I mean, Miguel O'Hara (Spider-Man 2099) technically has talons on his fingertips and toe tips but still seems to have "Clinging", at least so far as I remember. So for him, they'd make it a bit of an issue. The original 2099 setting going for more of a cyberpunk feel and trying to keep Miguel's power-set (just barely) more grounded, you can see why they'd take that approach.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, brachiator, clinging, super climbing, [basic]