Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #11
Pursuivant

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#41): Doesn't Eat or Drink Plus Other Digestive Tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
If you mean "only doesn't drink" and "only doesn't eat" I would price them at 5 points each. -50% limitations as with Reduced Consumption.
That's the way I've seen it done.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:50 AM   #12
SilvercatMoonpaw

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#41): Doesn't Eat or Drink Plus Other Digestive Tr

What's "eats something other than food/organic material"? Like, for example, rocks?

No reduction in how much you have to eat, and probably doesn't have Cast Iron Stomach (rocks) by default.
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:41 AM   #13
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
What's "eats something other than food/organic material"? Like, for example, rocks?

No reduction in how much you have to eat, and probably doesn't have Cast Iron Stomach (rocks) by default.

That could go a number of ways, depending on how restrictive the diet is. If its a specific mineral you need, you're probably looking at restrictive diet. If you can eat any amount of rocks, I'd actually go for the Cast Iron Stomach (rocks) route, but I'd probably decrease the value of the limitation, as moldy food isn't as hard to get a hold of as rocks (though that does depend on your location). Maybe use the concept, but not the phrasing:

Doesn't Eat or Drink (as long as you've eaten rocks -20%)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:34 PM   #14
Cowrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That could go a number of ways, depending on how restrictive the diet is. If its a specific mineral you need, you're probably looking at restrictive diet. If you can eat any amount of rocks, I'd actually go for the Cast Iron Stomach (rocks) route, but I'd probably decrease the value of the limitation, as moldy food isn't as hard to get a hold of as rocks (though that does depend on your location). Maybe use the concept, but not the phrasing:

Doesn't Eat or Drink (as long as you've eaten rocks -20%)
This has actually come up in discussion before in another thread. The consensus was that if any rock would do, Cast Iron Stomach, one specific mineral would be Restricted Diet, and somewhere in between, where a decent variety of rocks can be eaten, but not all of them, is a zero-point feature.

If this is for a lithovorous race, a way to determine the value of the trait is figuring out if the percentage of the population at a given TL that would be needed to mine for "food" rocks, is smaller, bigger or about the same as the percentage of a human population dedicated to food growth at that TL.

If any rocks will do, fewer, if any, dedicated food-miners are needed, since it's easy for anyone to grab a chunk of limestone, basalt or other common rock off the ground. Ironically, for a species like this, urbanization might mean an increase of people who need to spend all their time producing food for the rest of the populace, as cramped conditions would make grabbing a meal on the side of a road for free unsustainable. Thus, an advantage.

For a race where many common rocks (like the afore-mentioned limestone or basalt) aren't nutritious, but can still eat a wide range of minerals, food-miners would be about as common as human farmers at any given TL. By extension, the average non-food-producer would probably pay a similar amount for food. So, a feature.

For a race that needs one particular type of rock--say, soapstone,-- an even higher percentage of population will need to mine for food, and most of that population would be concentrated in regions where that stone is abundant. They might have "industry booms" freeing up more of the population for other jobs when rich, new veins of the right rock are discovered, but the ratio would go back to normal as the vein grew depleted. For those that don't mine their own food, food would be pricier, which means other standards of living might go down. That's a disadvantage.
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage of the week, cast-iron stomach, doesn't eat or breathe, doesn't eat or drink, reduced consumption, universal digestion, [basic]