Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #921
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
*scrunch*
Well, it's a little confusing, but since everybody else seems to have gotten it, I'll just chalk it up to obtuseness on my part. Carry on! :)
Don't feel bad; it took me a while to fully grok Super ST myself. Like a few years....

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #922
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

A few character updates, mostly minor stuff:

Abomination
Absorbing Man
Andromeda
Angel
Ant-Man
Ape-Man
Atlanteans
Baron Zemo
Captain Marvel

In a number of these, I've replaced the Lifting ST + Striking ST with Super ST. Others are simple "oh, I missed something".

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #923
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Don't feel bad; it took me a while to fully grok Super ST myself. Like a few years....
Heh... Naw, I understood Super ST. What threw me off was having the values separated in different template add-ons, I think.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #924
Phantasm

More Minor Updates:

Cat-Man
Phil Coulson ("Uh, his first name is 'Agent'.")
Crystal
Cyclops
Daredevil
Doctor Octopus
Electro
Gaza

Old 10-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #925
Not another shrubbery

Still working on the Captain America update?

No need to hurry... just getting a little antsy *g*
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #926
naloth

I'm not sure that low TL really comes into play with the Asgardian races. The Dwarves and Light Elves have been shown to use enchanted pistols and Asgard has as many conveniences as any modern city. Asgardian made stuff may seem "old fashioned" but it is of higher quality than you find on Earth. Furthermore, most of the races can visit Earth buying, stealing, or learning whatever they desire. There's just no incentive because what's on Earth is inferior to what they can already do.

I'd consider it a wash. For any technological achievement Asgard will have a magical equivalent (or better) that's available with cash.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #927
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Still working on the Captain America update?

No need to hurry... just getting a little antsy *g*
Yeah. He's not a "minor" update.

Of course, neither was Crystal, but I didn't really update her post here when I updated her master file like I should have. I haven't even looked at Cap A yet for a proper update.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #928
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I'm not sure that low TL really comes into play with the Asgardian races. The Dwarves and Light Elves have been shown to use enchanted pistols and Asgard has as many conveniences as any modern city. Asgardian made stuff may seem "old fashioned" but it is of higher quality than you find on Earth. Furthermore, most of the races can visit Earth buying, stealing, or learning whatever they desire. There's just no incentive because what's on Earth is inferior to what they can already do.

I'd consider it a wash. For any technological achievement Asgard will have a magical equivalent (or better) that's available with cash.
I have to say, I never got that impression when I was reading Thor in the '80s and '90s. Not sure if things changed after I stopped reading in the mid-'90s. Everything then seemed straight medieval-tech.

And anyways, please remember that this is not presenting things as they are at any time frame of comics, but a wholly new timeline. We'll leave discussions about how things are presented elsewhere to greater geeks and stick with worldbuilding a new timeline, 'k?

Last edited by Phantasm; 10-27-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #929
Anders

Quote:
Is there an adsorbing man who has more of an understanding of chemistry and merely coats himself in the stuff?

They could be a double act.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:00 PM   #930
naloth

Quote:
I have to say, I never got that impression when I was reading Thor in the '80s and '90s. Not sure if things changed after I stopped reading in the mid-'90s. Everything then seemed straight medieval-tech.

And anyways, please remember that this is not presenting things as they are at any time frame of comics, but a wholly new timeline. We'll leave discussions about how things are presented elsewhere to greater geeks and stick with worldbuilding a new timeline, 'k?
That's fine if you want to dictate that. It's just not very consistent with Thor having a medical degree then Loki and the Enchantress spending a great deal of time on Earth and being able to blend in just fine.

As for 80s/90s comic references, surely you recall that Asgard had a deeper understanding of most everything, built stuff that was much better than anything we can (including alloys we couldn't create), and when Jane needed real medical care Asgard had better physicians and treatment than Earth could present. Sure, you could call this "magic!", but really they just have different (more advanced) stuff all over their society.

To put it another way, a TL3 medieval knight that encounters a gun or cell phone won't understand the device or how to use it. An Asgardian will identify it as a boomstick or magical earpiece and take to the respective device with little or no training.

For the most part, Earth is primitive and the Asgardians don't need anything from Earth. This is just where they come for entertainment and to wage battles with other realms.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men