Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 07-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: I was hoping for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
If it's on Steam, the general answer will be yes. :-(

There are some offline things you can do for Steam, but YMMV
That depends on the developer mostly, and in general you can usually host all the files locally for indie games.

Now you do need a connection for cloud saves and updates, but how could you not?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #12
XeroXeroXero

Thanks for all the kind words so far! This forum is so friendly :D

We're thinking that keeping all immediate questions to one thread will be good, then when we launch the Steam page and you see the trailer and more representative screens, we'll open things up and do proper official topics and such! Does that work for everyone? Let us know!

So to answer some of your great questions...

Map themes
There aren't plans for different skins for the maps at launch, but that's a cool idea and we're always happy to hear cool ideas! And yes, those screens you see on the KS update are work in progress.

Minimum specs
Nothing official from us yet, but nothing too egregious. The min specs will be available when the Steam page goes up. One of our objectives for this project is that we want as many people as possible to enjoy the game, so we've built the game accordingly.

Any further talks on a Mac/Linux port?
Probably not at launch. But if there's enough demand for it it'll be very high on our priority list. Also we've made games in the past with Mac and Linux versions, so read into that what you will ;)

What devices will you be able to play this game on? PC, console, phone, tablet, VR, direct brain implant?
No direct brain implant at launch I'm afraid ;)

We're launching on Windows PCs out the gate and making sure that it's right before considering other platforms. Mac and Linux is a possibility, as mentioned above. We've heard a few people say that tablets and consoles would be interesting to them, but that's not in the works at the moment as we want to stay focused.

Will you need an open internet connection to play the game?

You'll need a Steam account and everything that entails. But there's no bonkers DRM in there or anything like that.

And we certainly, for sure, 100% absolutely are not members of a shadowy group affiliated with the Illuminati, attempting to steal all your search history for nefarious reasons. No sir.
XeroXeroXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:47 PM   #13
Belle Sorciere

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroXeroXero View Post
And we certainly, for sure, 100% absolutely are not members of a shadowy group affiliated with the Illuminati, attempting to steal all your search history for nefarious reasons. No sir.
Well, that's a relief.

I am looking forward to this.
Belle Sorciere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #14
ColBosch

I know some people will be disappointed, but starting with Windows on Steam really is the best way to reach the largest number of players in one go. I'll do my best to boost the signal as you get closer to launch.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:47 PM   #15
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I know some people will be disappointed, but starting with Windows on Steam really is the best way to reach the largest number of players in one go. I'll do my best to boost the signal as you get closer to launch.
Oh, I completely get why; doesn't mean I have to like it. :-)
Old 07-23-2017, 01:26 AM   #16
selenite

This game is going to eat so much of my writing time.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #17
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Ok, some more questions (wouldn't want things to get boring around here)

Play modes - One of the limitations of the original version is it was always one player against an AI Ogre. How many combinations of human vs human, human vs AI, AI vs AI will there be? Will it be strictly 2-player, or will it be possible to have multi-player scenarios? If multi-player, one assumes online play; but what about "hot-seat" play on a single system?

In-game Comms - For online play with multiple players, what are the methods of communication that are available?

Rules Usage - Are we going to be able to define what ruleset we want? For example, it's common to use "Ogre rules" when playing on the Orange map, but use "G.E.V. rules" on the green map. That's not a requirement, though, just a common practice. There are also a lot of optional rules that may or may not be used. I was curious how you plan to resolve this? Maybe an Options screen to select per scenario what rules you wan to use (ramming vs overrun, stacking vs not, etc)? Some rules are mutually exclusive, others are not.

Stacking - With regards to stacking, it's a common standard to limit to 5AU per hex, but the ODE rules do leave wiggle room for the limit to be expanded. Will there be some kind of slider to allow setting the maximum allowable stack?

Overrun post-movement - during overruns, you may have multiple units moved in from various distances. Once the overrun is resolved, units may then continue whatever remaining movement is left. What mechanism will be used to track how far a unit has travelled before the overrun, and will you be able to tell visually?
Old 07-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #18
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
This game is going to eat so much of my writing time.
You will just have to start writing about the game ;-)
Old 07-23-2017, 05:11 PM   #19
schoon

Great to see all the progress thus far. This one has been a long time coming!
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:04 AM   #20
AurochJake

Quote:

Play modes - One of the limitations of the original version is it was always one player against an AI Ogre. How many combinations of human vs human, human vs AI, AI vs AI will there be? Will it be strictly 2-player, or will it be possible to have multi-player scenarios? If multi-player, one assumes online play; but what about "hot-seat" play on a single system?

In-game Comms - For online play with multiple players, what are the methods of communication that are available?

Rules Usage - Are we going to be able to define what ruleset we want? For example, it's common to use "Ogre rules" when playing on the Orange map, but use "G.E.V. rules" on the green map. That's not a requirement, though, just a common practice. There are also a lot of optional rules that may or may not be used. I was curious how you plan to resolve this? Maybe an Options screen to select per scenario what rules you wan to use (ramming vs overrun, stacking vs not, etc)? Some rules are mutually exclusive, others are not.

Stacking - With regards to stacking, it's a common standard to limit to 5AU per hex, but the ODE rules do leave wiggle room for the limit to be expanded. Will there be some kind of slider to allow setting the maximum allowable stack?

Overrun post-movement - during overruns, you may have multiple units moved in from various distances. Once the overrun is resolved, units may then continue whatever remaining movement is left. What mechanism will be used to track how far a unit has travelled before the overrun, and will you be able to tell visually?
Quote:

Hey GranitePenguin - great questions there! I'll do my best to answer with the information that we can reveal at the moment.

Play Modes

We'll have more information on this soon, but there will absolutely multiplayer and hot-seat modes :)

Communication

The game will be released on Steam and so Steam chat will be available, as well as external tools such as Discord. There won't be an in-game chat system, at least upon launch.

Rules Usage

We want to include as many of the game's rules and modes as possible but we can't say for certain what will be included for the time-being. Look out for more information on this soon though :)

Stacking

The usual rules will apply here, though there will be certain scenarios that may allow for more or less units to be stacked. At launch, for regular Skirmish games, the limit will be 5.

Overrun

Each unit has an indicator which shows the movement allowed per turn - this applies after Overrun combat too :)

I hope this helps. If you've any further questions, feel free to shoot them my way!
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote