Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2014, 01:00 PM   #11
naloth

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
I have to say, I never got that impression when I was reading Thor in the '80s and '90s. Not sure if things changed after I stopped reading in the mid-'90s. Everything then seemed straight medieval-tech.

And anyways, please remember that this is not presenting things as they are at any time frame of comics, but a wholly new timeline. We'll leave discussions about how things are presented elsewhere to greater geeks and stick with worldbuilding a new timeline, 'k?
That's fine if you want to dictate that. It's just not very consistent with Thor having a medical degree then Loki and the Enchantress spending a great deal of time on Earth and being able to blend in just fine.

As for 80s/90s comic references, surely you recall that Asgard had a deeper understanding of most everything, built stuff that was much better than anything we can (including alloys we couldn't create), and when Jane needed real medical care Asgard had better physicians and treatment than Earth could present. Sure, you could call this "magic!", but really they just have different (more advanced) stuff all over their society.

To put it another way, a TL3 medieval knight that encounters a gun or cell phone won't understand the device or how to use it. An Asgardian will identify it as a boomstick or magical earpiece and take to the respective device with little or no training.

For the most part, Earth is primitive and the Asgardians don't need anything from Earth. This is just where they come for entertainment and to wage battles with other realms.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men