Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Miscellaneous Help

I know I already posted today, but I still have a few questions that I've been dwelling on. The good news is that I got my campaign problems resolved and I'm now having fun with it. Instead of making a billion more posts over the next few days, I'm going to lay out all of my problems right here and right now.

1. Custom Wild Mana Generator. I'm trying to take this advantage and give it some nice limitations for my custom race. Basically, I want it to get whittled all the way down to 20 points as I'm on a smaller budget. I need it to last for a limited amount of time. It should cost 2 fatigue to start up and 1 to maintain. If need be, it can be limited by Emergencies Only. My main problem is how to price it being a time-limited ability that needs to be maintained. It could also have Requires Recharge (preferably as small as possible) if I needed to whittle it down more. If need be, this could take form as a new advantage.

2. Custom Rune Magic. This one is going to be a doozy. It's also for my custom race.
Verbs: Communicate/Insight (H/1), Control/Bind (H/2), Create/Growth (H/2), Imbue/Transfer (H/2), Move/Shape (H/1), Sense/Name (H/2), Strengthen/Heal (H/2), Transform/Transmute (H/3), and Weaken/Harm (H/2).
Nouns: Soul (E/1), Spirit (E/1), Body (A/1), Mind (A/2), Fire (A/3), Air (A/3), Earth (A/3), Water (A/3), Light (VH/4), Darkness (VH/4), and Nothing (VH/4).
Levels: Least (E/0), Lesser (E/1), Great (A/2), Greater (H/4), True (VH/8), Sage (VH/16).
The way this works is that it is tattoo rune magic for my custom race, the Neidolons. Now I don't remember what formula I used forever ago, but I remember trying to make it as balanced as possible. These runes are variable and may be mixed and matched to produce various effects. The difficulty for each spell is listed next to the fatigue cost of said spell. How this translates into an advantage is that each spell's fatigue cost is equal to the cost of the piece of advantage. The total advantage is called Neidolon Body and obviously has a variable cost. Now, the casting cost is much different. The levels are what dictate the casting cost. The fatigue costs next to those are the costs for the total spell (which takes number of runes involved seconds to cast). Least will get you a perk-level spell (1 or 2 points) that's really only good for a spark to start a fire or maybe a small bit of water to put out a candle flame or something. Lesser will get you a 10 point spell. Great will get you a 20 point spell. Greater will get you a 30 point spell. True will get you a 40 point spell. Sage will get you a 50 point spell (but I'll come back to Sage later). And yes, the runes require an activation roll. Each Neidolon can take any rune, but is limited to two elements and Nothing. There are a couple of special Neidolons that either get Light or Darkness instead of Nothing. Seidolons (the special Neidolons) are the only with access to the Sage rune and only have that level. However, to match up, the Sage rune allows for any level of spell to be cast. The Sage rune can replicate the effects of a True spell (40 points and 8 fatigue) but will be at a -1 since it is one step down from Sage. Sage may also go up in steps, but it's not often you find a Seidolon with 32 fatigue.
The Question: Is this fair? If you say no, please tell me why and what I could do to fix it. Again, I'm on a budget so I'd prefer not to raise point cost too much.

3. Custom New Advantage. This new advantage also plays a role with my race. However, it is special as it is only available to two of the Seidolons. This advantage would allow them to share runes. Let me explain. I said earlier that Seidolons could only have two elements. This advantage would allow each of them to have all four of the elements. As a drawback (again, to minimize costs), they could have linked HP. This could also have the same limitations as the Custom Wild Mana Generator I listed at the top of this post.

4. Custom Compartmentalized Mind. This is another advantage that I want on a budget. I'd like to whittle the cost by giving it some serious limitations too. I want it to be restricted to only be used for the Custom Rune Magic. It could also have accessibility to work only when the caster is berserk. Personally, if it wouldn't be super complicated, I'd actually like the user to have a chance of getting possessed when using it. The Neidolons are technically supposed to have a malevolent spirit living inside of them (but I kind of cut that out of GURPS for simplicity's sake). How could I model this? The spirit inside of them does want to protect their host body, but wants to cause just as much destruction it can. So maybe it could have a hint of Emergencies Only too to represent the spirit kicking the host into full gear if the spirit realized that the host was in danger. If need be, this could take form as a new advantage.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, balance, compartmentalized mind, rune magic, wild mana generator