Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
PriusGuy2004

Default Newbie Questions

Hello everyone. New to the forum and new to the game, but I'm learning more and more. Yesterday was my first time playing Munchkin, and there were four others who played as well. So, a couple questions I have:
  1. On page 1 of the base Munchkin game, under the section of CARD MANAGEMENT >> In Play, the rules state, "Continuing Curses and some other cards also stay on the table after you play them.". What is the difference between a Continuing Curse and other curses. Can you give an example or two of Curse cards that I can look at to see the difference?
  2. During the Charity phase (phase 4) of your turn, the rules say you have to play enough cards to get cards in your hand down to a total of 5. 1) Can you play a monster during this 4th phase if you can beat it? Or, is that only during phases 1 and 2 of your turn? 2) If you play cards from your hand (such as items like swords, armor, etc.) that cannot be used by your character, can you play those cards and turn them sideways (to signify them as un-used) so that you can get down to 5 cards in your hand? In the same way, could you also play items from your hand, turn them sideways (un-used), so that you might be able to use those items later?
I may have more questions later on...but these are the two that first come to mind. Thank you, in advance, for any help you may offer.
PriusGuy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Newbie Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusGuy2004 View Post
On page 1 of the base Munchkin game, under the section of CARD MANAGEMENT >> In Play, the rules state, "Continuing Curses and some other cards also stay on the table after you play them.". What is the difference between a Continuing Curse and other curses. Can you give an example or two of Curse cards that I can look at to see the difference?
A continuing Curse has some effect which will either happen in the future or will affect you until the Curse has been cured. Examples of continuing Curses are Curse! Malign Mirror, which affects your next combat, and Curse! Chicken on Your Head, which stays with you until you lose your Headgear. An example of a non-continuing Curse is Curse! Change Race, after you resolve the text on the Curse, you just discard it.

Quote:
During the Charity phase (phase 4) of your turn, the rules say you have to play enough cards to get cards in your hand down to a total of 5. 1) Can you play a monster during this 4th phase if you can beat it? Or, is that only during phases 1 and 2 of your turn? 2) If you play cards from your hand (such as items like swords, armor, etc.) that cannot be used by your character, can you play those cards and turn them sideways (to signify them as un-used) so that you can get down to 5 cards in your hand? In the same way, could you also play items from your hand, turn them sideways (un-used), so that you might be able to use those items later?
1) No. You can only play cards that it is legal to play at that time. Monsters can only be played from your hand when Looking For Trouble and the other situations that allow it.

2) Yes. You can play any Item to the table during your turn (except during combat) and that includes Items you can't use (which you play sideways) and even One-Shot Items (which can then be used later). You can change Items between being used and unused at any time on any turn.

Quote:
I may have more questions later on...but these are the two that first come to mind. Thank you, in advance, for any help you may offer.
If you do post more questions, it's usually a good idea to create separate threads for each question. That will make them easier for others to find.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
You can change Items between being used and unused at any time on any turn.
Except during combat!

Quote:
If you do post more questions, it's usually a good idea to create separate threads for each question. That will make them easier for others to find.
It's also a very good idea to let the moderators handle the moderating. But, yes, we ask that unrelated questions be asked in separate threads with descriptive titles so that people searching for answers to questions already asked can find them. We honestly don't consider asking 10 or 20 questions in separate threads as spamming the forum, as it makes our jobs much easier to contain one question and its discussion to one thread.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
PriusGuy2004

Thanks for the help on this so far. Just for clarification then...during the charity phase, if you are giving cards to someone so that you can get down to 5 cards in your hand...the person you are giving cards to may end up having more than 5 cards in his/her hand, but it would be up to him/her to make sure there are only 5 cards in his/her hand by the end of his/her next turn. Right?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusGuy2004 View Post
Thanks for the help on this so far. Just for clarification then...during the charity phase, if you are giving cards to someone so that you can get down to 5 cards in your hand...the person you are giving cards to may end up having more than 5 cards in his/her hand, but it would be up to him/her to make sure there are only 5 cards in his/her hand by the end of his/her next turn. Right?
Yes. The only time you give Charity is at the end of your own turn.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
PriusGuy2004

Kinda stemming off of the second part of my main #2 question...it is possible to have two weapons in play (one of which is in use while the other is just being carried)? For example, I could have a two-handed weapon in use and another two-handed weapon just being carried...even if my Munchkin can hold only one two-handed weapon at a time. Is this right?

Tags
charity, curses, monsters, newbie