Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #11
vierasmarius

Default Re: Is there any setting/game that GURPS CAN'T do?

I think a lot of that could be handled with toggling some switches on the campaign level, basically turning on "cartoon physics". Likewise, DBZ is a lot easier to emulate if you treat scenery (including entire planets on occasion) as destructible cardboard props. Throw a guy through a mountain and it'll look impressive, but he's not gonna take any extra damage from it.

The hard part is when the source material isn't consistent with itself. For example, Pinkie Pie having her Danger Sense triggered constantly for an entire episode, then basically disappearing except for the rare callback.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #12
Blind Mapmaker

Lack of consistency in the source material doesn't really preclude a working GURPS adaptation. Star Trek in its various incarnations is a prime candidate for this and basically every long-running TV show also fits the bill. The GM just has to know his characters and can't count on the players conveniently forgetting their plot-solving ability. It's more of a problem in settings where characters regularly thwart the mad scientist of the week, though. In an RPG they will want to use their enemies' gear, even if it changes their original character concept. But even then most of their enemies' cool gadgets can conveniently self-destruct, run out of juice at the wrong moment or just be plain mad.

The problem starts when the GM actually wants to be inconsistent. That's something GURPS doesn't really handle well. I guess you could play GURPS Ultra-Light and make it work as a Toon ersatz, but I agree that such things are usually better handled by a dedicated system. Not that this is absolutely impossible to do by using switches as vierasmarius said, but your mileage may vary.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #13
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
I was thinking mainly of things like that weird pegasus telekinesis (keeping flying carts straight behind you) and what unicorn magic actually means (it sure doesn't look like Magery for most ponies). But sure, the templates aren't the biggest problem. Making sure players don't think in rules terms all the time is much more important. On the other hand, it's nice to not think of realism and combat options all the time. GURPS can run such games just fine, even though it's not its primary purpose.
Yes, GURPS can do this, but should it?

If we do this, then the next thing somebody will want is an official GURPS Smurfs supplement! Stop the madness now! :)
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
Carlos

I would like to see how GURPS Fourth Edition could do the Old World of Darkness setting. I saw the "Vampire - The Masquerade" and the other two books (Werewolf and Mage) for the third edition and I think it was a bit.... odd.
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #15
Gold & Appel Inc

No. extend-o-matic!
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
I would like to see how GURPS Fourth Edition could do the Old World of Darkness setting. I saw the "Vampire - The Masquerade" and the other two books (Werewolf and Mage) for the third edition and I think it was a bit.... odd.
Yeah, I'd be interested in that as well.

I actually had (so past tense) the old GURPS 3e WoD books, plus a lot of actual World of Darkness supplements (basically every Changing Breed I could) but... I never really got around to doing anything with them. Probably never even read the GURPS books fully. I just a lot of them "On Sale" and sadly never had a chance to game with them. Shame too, I wanted to make a killer Transformers: Beast Machines setting.

Still, for the most part I liked WoD rules except when they felt like "incomplete" GURPS rules.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 08-17-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Still, for the most part I liked WoD rules except when they felt like "incomplete" GURPS rules.
The 3e published GURPS WoD write-ups... kind of totally sucked. There are better fan-versions on these fora if you search for them, IIRC.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #18
Drifter

Well, I know some things GURPS can never do:

Never gonna give you up,
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry,
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #19
kidbrock9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Well, I know some things GURPS can never do:

Never gonna give you up,
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry,
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you
Awww! Rick Rolled on the GURPS forum. LOL!

Pain? Pain is like love . . . like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men. What is pain to Doom?"
kidbrock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
The 3e published GURPS WoD write-ups... kind of totally sucked. There are better fan-versions on these fora if you search for them, IIRC.
Since I never did get around to using them... can you give me a bit more info? Especially if it actually ties into the main topic. ;) I just want to know if it is because they were poorly done (and not having actually used them I didn't realize it), because of things inherent to the WoD setting (somewhat relevant to the topic), or just because of flaws in the 3e rules.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gm advice