Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Unkillable 3 vs. a Black Hole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon View Post
So you don't think that the "there is no escape from a black hole" would apply to a disembodied spirit?
Please note in my post that normal beings do not make it intact to the event horizon. Even mere mundane photons _can_ escape before then.

Now, if you buy your Black Hole with Affects Insubstantial you might be getting somewhere but buying black holes with cp will require rather a lot of those.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #12
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Before hitting the event horizon anything solid will be ionized And the UK3 kicks in. The possessor is then a ghost, energy pattern or some other sort of incorporeal spirit.

There might conceivably be some sort of combination of Power Source and "energy pattern" that was still vulnerable to ultra-strong gravity but generally I would say no, gravity doesn't bother you any more.

A GM have the character keep physically coalescing within range of the black hole's gravity but that's an .....aggressive use of his discretion and might lead to hard feelings. The GM certainly isn't under any obligation to make that happen. the character can materialize back in his own bedroom just as well.
Yeah, I was just thinking of it as a possibility. I'm still deciding what level of Unkillable to give them, 2 or 3 and so was wondering if there was ANY way to permanently dispose of someone with Unkillable 3, and figured if anything, a black hole would...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
By my reading of the rules, no. You can bind a spirit with magic but not gravity. You're giving me an idea for an anti-ward that works like a spirit roach motel, though.
That might work... bind the spirit and not let it escape to re-form the body elsewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Please note in my post that normal beings do not make it intact to the event horizon. Even mere mundane photons _can_ escape before then.

Now, if you buy your Black Hole with Affects Insubstantial you might be getting somewhere but buying black holes with cp will require rather a lot of those.
I am the GM, so I have infinite character points! But yeah... not going to make a black hole as a character. :)

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.

Last edited by Ragabash Moon; 06-01-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Yeah, I was just thinking of it as a possibility. I'm still deciding what level of Unkillable to give them, 2 or 3 and so was wondering if there was ANY way to permanently dispose of someone with Unkillable 3, and figured if anything, a black hole would...
This depends on the Metaphysics of the setting and the specifics of any power's Source. Unkillable 3 with a Superscience PM that works by converting the character into some kind of EM being is probably vulnerable to black holes. Unkillable 3 that turns the character into a "ghost" on the "astral plane" probably isn't unless black holes also exist astrally in the setting.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
Diomedes

Quote:

That might work... bind the spirit and not let it escape to re-form the body elsewhere...
The only thing I can think of is to put it in a stasis chamber, so it never quite dies.

Alternately, an Affliction with Negated Advantage, Unkillable 3, +150%, and enough duration to kill the creature in the meantime.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
David Johnston2

Quote:
So you don't think that the "there is no escape from a black hole" would apply to a disembodied spirit?
It's only true of things that have mass.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This depends on the Metaphysics of the setting and the specifics of any power's Source. Unkillable 3 with a Superscience PM that works by converting the character into some kind of EM being is probably vulnerable to black holes. Unkillable 3 that turns the character into a "ghost" on the "astral plane" probably isn't unless black holes also exist astrally in the setting.
Hmmm good point. The power is Psychic Healing based, so they'd be a "being of pure thought" that could probably easily escape the black hole... The only question then is the whole "coalesces in a place of the GM's choosing" and how long it takes to heal and such.

Because, at that point, if you die in another galaxy and it takes 24 hours to reform (extreme regen let's say) then do you instantly appear back on Earth? All things to think about with Unkillable 3...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
The only thing I can think of is to put it in a stasis chamber, so it never quite dies.

Alternately, an Affliction with Negated Advantage, Unkillable 3, +150%, and enough duration to kill the creature in the meantime.
Ah didn't think of that... now on the case of power modifiers.... if like say their power is Psychic Healing based, then you could hit them with Anti-Psi, kill them and voila they stay dead, or when the anti-psi wore off would the power kick back in?

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
David Johnston2

Really it's determined by the power source. If you have Unkillable with a psi power source then anything that can contain psionic energy can turn you into Sealed Evil in A Can.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #18
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Really it's determined by the power source. If you have Unkillable with a psi power source then anything that can contain psionic energy can turn you into Sealed Evil in A Can.
Right, but what if say a person uses active Anti-Psi, kills you, then goes out for coffee? Does your power kick back in?

Or, to use your example, if you OPEN THE CAN, do you get out?

Because another thing to mention, part of the idea was the first time the character was killed, she was on a spaceship that blew up... in space... so her body was... um indestructible as it re-entered the atmosphere? But it would be much cooler for there to have been complete annihilation of the body, as one of her disads is "Legally Dead", so if Anti-Psi could CONTAIN Her, but not actually truly keep her from EVER dying, that would be preferable... I just want a way to contain the species so that they have at least some fear of something "worse than death" heh.

Last edited by Ragabash Moon; 06-01-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #19
zuldan

I would say depending on the setting. what the black hole represents in the setting and what makes a ghost a ghost.

if a black hole just effects the world of physic and has no bearing on the supernatural or paranormal. then the UK 3 should be safe. if the Black hole is a point where everything is affected just a drainage and compaction of all energy then nothing well escape.

if a ghost is made of light particles thats has a sentient mind and not just a paranormal phenomenon then black hole can suck it in. as i understand it black holes pull in light. not sure what that truly means, but a black hole sounds like the end of all things current. even time is said to slow down. well going by stargate lol on that detail.

in the end it well depend on what the black hole and the UK3 form means to the setting.
zuldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #20
Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post

That is very mean. Can you take Affliction, negates advantage: Affliction, negates advantage X?
Not is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gm advice, unkillable