Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #11
Michele

Default Re: List of your favourite custom talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Full character sheet added to that thread.

I was trying to design a talent for someone very good at mass communication and persuasion, rather than a specific Goebbels Talent.
Even so, I'm not sure a good mass communicator needs or uses Interrogation. Leadership is, again, a maybe. In GURPS terms, it's used in actually dangerous or stressful situations. For a politician communicator in the 1930s, that may be suitable, as rallies and street demonstrations would often turn physical. But later on, I don't know.
Merchant is OK.

Quote:
I gave him actual History skill, since that was his doctorate; did he ever appeal to the law, except when it suited his purposes?
Good point there as to History.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #12
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Even so, I'm not sure a good mass communicator needs or uses Interrogation.
It seems to me that someone gifted with words and their meanings would be good at questioning. They'd spot the implications of statements, and what was not being said. But that's just my opinion. I'm not claiming that Goebbels ever did significant amounts of Interrogation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Leadership is, again, a maybe. In GURPS terms, it's used in actually dangerous or stressful situations. For a politician communicator in the 1930s, that may be suitable, as rallies and street demonstrations would often turn physical. But later on, I don't know.
He was Gauleiter for Berlin from 1926. He also persuaded Major Otto Remer to listen to him on the evening of 20th July, which was quite significant in aborting the plot.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:11 AM   #13
Michele

Quote:
It seems to me that someone gifted with words and their meanings would be good at questioning. They'd spot the implications of statements, and what was not being said. But that's just my opinion.
The above, however, seems to be a definition that might apply to Detect Lies too; or fall somewhere between that and Interrogation.

Quote:
I'm not claiming that Goebbels ever did significant amounts of Interrogation.

He was Gauleiter for Berlin from 1926. He also persuaded Major Otto Remer to listen to him on the evening of 20th July, which was quite significant in aborting the plot.
OK, now I was making general considerations about a universal Talent, not about Goebbels and his own one.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #14
johndallman
Night Watchman

Monoglot -10 points
This is a reversed form of Language Talent. You get your native language for free, but the time and/or point cost to learn other languages is doubled. Most people with this disadvantage don't bother trying. If you persist for long enough to have spent ten extra points on languages due to this disadvantage, you can pay it off with those points and change your languages to normal cost.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #15
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Monoglot -10 points
This is a reversed form of Language Talent. You get your native language for free, but the time and/or point cost to learn other languages is doubled. Most people with this disadvantage don't bother trying. If you persist for long enough to have spent ten extra points on languages due to this disadvantage, you can pay it off with those points and change your languages to normal cost.
The problem there is that it's just free points for anyone who doesn't bother learning extra languages.

Tags
talents