Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 09-01-2004, 09:13 AM   #11
Michaela

Default Re: {In Nomine} Favorite Canon Superiors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth
Out of idle curiosity, which Superiors are people's favorites -- and why?
Yves, definitely. I find the whole concept of fate/destiny in In Nomine intriguing and Yves as the embodiment of destiny is so very well portrayed. Removed, but not aloof. Compassionate, but not meddling. To know so much about the Symphony and yet understand the fundamental importance of free will is a great burden, even for an Archangel.
Michaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:24 PM   #12
Leticia

All of them.

Yeah, that sounds pretty wishy-washy, but I can look at any of the Superiors and, from the right angle, say "Oooh, look at the pretty story-hooks." There are some interpretations of Superiors I find bland and uninspiring, but I can always find a more interesting interpretation.

As for which of the Superiors I interpret in such a way I like them best... Eli and Gabriel. I love the crazy angels. :)
Leticia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:09 AM   #13
Nevyn

Host:

I've always really really liked David and Uriel. (Sure Uriel's not really involved in anything anymore, being kinda... indisposed, but he's still Canon) And yes I admit it, it's because I really really like Malakim.
But David is so much more than "Just a Malakite" as Laurence too frequently comes across as (Don't get me wrong, I know there's much more to Laurence, ya just don't see it most of the time) The unwavering stances, the eternal memories, the fact that when (in game) David asks if there's anything "you need", you can ask for time to ponder your responce.

"I own a sword, in truth because killing Malphus bare handed would be nausiating" - David, Archangel of Stone

Horde:

I'm gunna have to go with Baal. For many reasons already stated by Mr Drake and Dr Jackson.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:32 AM   #14
Xavier

From the Host:
Eli, especially when he takes other Superiors and Celestials down a peg.
"How can you blow something up with a Martini?!"
"You can't. At least not easily. It is green, though."
The guy has style, and he knows what hes doing. He may have gone on a hiatus, but now theres purpose.

From the Horde:
Kronos. He knows how to keep things cryptic enough to keep everyone out of the loop while keeping those in the know tightly bound within.
Its probable that he knows the end of the war, and hes just playing a nice game of Othello or Chess with Yves. May the most win.
;)
Old 09-07-2004, 10:47 AM   #15
Territan

Oh, I like 'em all too.

You have to understand though, it's because I've found little ways to make them all peculiar, quirky, and annoying.

Saminga's one appearance, so far, featured him in a top-hat, somewhat hippie-fied eveningwear (white shirt, black vest with some beads hanging off of it, pants with jagged cuffs) (Think light Baron Samedi influences), and riding a shiny black scooter. When (out of character, unfortunately) one of the players scoffed at the scooter, I told him, "Most people laugh... until they think about what it runs on."

Then there was another occasion when, while looking for the answer to a simple question, someone scored an Infernal Intervention while trying to summon Yves. Kronos arrived. Oh, he was very gracious, if a little bitter, and when Yves finally did arrive, they provided light and worrisome conversation to the players. At one point, they both pulled out recorders and started playing, trading off melodies at a few points. (Think I gave away too much?)

And oh, that loveable wingnut Gabriel! Never acts quite the same way twice whenever she's called upon. I have yet to make an encounter with her properly violent, but it's just a matter of time...

All Superiors have their own little ways to be fun.
Territan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:08 AM   #16
William

That's easy. I'm a Jean fanboy all the way. This is making an exception for Yves, who seems rather above my likes and dislikes.

After Jean, Marc seems the most approachable, though he deals with a realm where I'm not very familiar. Novalis strikes chords with me but requires delicate interpretation to remain effective.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 02:16 PM   #17
pheasnt

Khalid.

I very much like the idea of a Muslim take on an otherwise Christian (even if largely Deist) game. I'm not by any stretch Muslim myself, but when I was 18 I found myself visiting Mosques in Istanbul, and unlike all those Christian Cathedals I'd been dragegd to see as a kid there was a sense of piety that one couldn't help be impressed by.

These days I guess that piety's taken on a darker tone. Perhaps in our world he Fell?
pheasnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:03 AM   #18
EDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheasnt
These days I guess that piety's taken on a darker tone. Perhaps in our world he Fell?
You're treading on thin ice, pheasnt. Please err on the side of prudence with religious/ideological generalizations like this one.
EDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:14 AM   #19
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Or one can take it to the General Chatter forum: Anything else that anybody wants to talk about. Irregularly moderated; enter at your own risk.

I've got a few replies, but as EDG cogently points out, modern-day comments about Islam and Islamic beliefs are pretty hard to keep on-topic for games and In Nomine. Nevertheless, I think that the Superiors 3 version of Khalid actually meshes quite well with modern day events. (Not in the sense of predicting them or anything like that!) Khalid was supporting fanatics. Khalid is now trying to repair matters, when repairing matters is hard because he's Faith -- he can't act as directly as he would like, lest he destroy the faith of humans, or destroy the chance of faith. (Besides, the whole mixed bag of stuff has a lot of "That's so totally human" involved in it.)

More likely, mapping IN onto current events would be Malphas sour grapesing and trying to smear Khalid or personally hurt him by twisting his favored religion -- in popular view -- into something "darker."
Old 10-05-2004, 10:26 AM   #20
harmyn

Favorite Superiors, huh? Hard one.

For the Host I do so love Yves (but aren't we supposed to?), but Dominique is also a good one. He's a deep soul trying to keep the rest of the host from falling, all the while his actions push him farther into a place apart from all that he seeks to protect. Will he fall? Probably not, will he always be the loneliest soul in all of creation. Yes, I think he will.

On the side of the rebellion I would have to go with Kronos (the will of god can Fall - frightening dream) and I also love Haagenti (talk about your familiar making good) along with Saminga (sure he plays with the dead and seems like an idiot, but he is still a Prince in Hell - not something to underestimate).
"Wherever you go, there you are." Bonzai
harmyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta, superiors